Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#75383 - 10/27/06 02:08 AM Re: Zaptag Digital Dog Tag?
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Its actually very easy to make something autorun, I used to burn digital pictures on to a mini CD then make a simple slideshow program autorun when the CD was inserted. Flash drives would be even easier since they can be written to, or you could have a macro virus embedded into your default template in MS Word which attaches to all the word documents you put on the flash drive then when someone else opens one it attaches to the template on their PC (on reason I've switched to open office on my personal system).
Hmm, slax sounds like slackware, wonder if thats what its based on. I'm running slackware and my mp3 computer in the truck runs it from a 128M read only CF card plugged into the primary IDE port.

#75384 - 10/27/06 02:29 AM autoruns and U3
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Here's the interesting thing: all of my machines have autorun disabled, have since that became a "feature". And U3's loader still loads. I don't get it, but I haven't had time to take it apart and see what makes it tick.

It also autoloads, as I said, on my Susi machine. None of the apps work, obviously, but what ever U3 is using, it isn't dependent on the computer's OS so much. And that's kinda scary, actually, becuase it really does act like an embedded OS. Fortunately, U3 has an option where you can disable it's urge to load when slid into a USB port.

And since that was developed with SanDisk (among others), and the zaptag being a SanDisk product, there is some interesting (good and bad way) potentials with it. Assuming that there is ever a need for them.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#75385 - 10/28/06 02:10 AM Re: Zaptag Digital Dog Tag?
pworks36 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Florida
I work with several hundred folks who came through the Katrina debacle and they are still picking up the various pieces of their lives. The most common stumbling block to re-entering their lives is establishing administratively acceptable evidence for things, like insurance claims, disaster relief and so forth. I do not think there would be a special reason for the medical records portion of this device, but the basic idea, if you captured your important documents, perhaps even notarize copies and then scanned into something common like Adobe and loaded on a thumb-drive...

Of course they are not a solid substitute for the real thing, but when trying to prove to FEMA that you lived at such-and-such address and you actually need temporary housing, it could be useful. Further, since I talking about things like wills, deeds, receipts, I am not wrroying about having to up date often since the records generally wouldn't change.

As far as this specific product, awfully pricey for a $20 USB drive and my medical records just don't have anything so significant in them that this would be of interest to me or any of my immediate family. Have a dogtag stamped or a medic-alert bracelet/necklace if you have something that critical. Just my two cents and probably not even worth that...

#75386 - 10/28/06 01:09 PM Re: Zaptag Digital Dog Tag?
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I travel constantly. Sometimes with my camper, sometimes just with just a back-pack.

I have had much stuff on a USB drive for a long time. Started with a 256meg and now up to 2 gig. Mostly stuff "of record" that would help prove my history. Yes, there is some risk of it falling into the wrong hands, but it is encrypted so at least there is some barrier to its wrongful use.

I have a heart condition that changes over time. Being able to print or otherwise display old ECG (or EKG's which is it now?) on demand for a cardio doc to examine is worth the effort. Likewise shot records and other such stuff. Helps when encountering a new physician.

So far, no failures (why did I say that... now it will fail)... and I find it very comforting to have the data available. I think it outweighs the risk of identity theft.

I do not intend it as an emergency data source. Dog tags or medical alert tags perform that task better.

nomad

#75387 - 11/01/06 04:18 PM Re: Zaptag Digital Dog Tag?
Holby Offline

Hopefully the following should answer some of the concerns expressed in previous posts...

Security Issues – many people expressed concerns that information would not be secure. We have utilised Blowfish encryption which enables users to, very securely, password protect any sensitive information. Users then choose to leave critical medical information open for use in an emergency such as blood group, drug allergies, next of kin contact info, files with scan/x-ray images of important injuries medical staff should be aware of, to name a few. This information is of no use to anyone other than medical personnel. (There is very little of my medical information I feel is sensitive... and if this info could potentially save my life I would quite happily leave it open).

Functionability – information other than medical information can be stored on the drive; with a 256 or 512 capacity on current products, users can store the additional info mentioned such as scans of travel documents, photos etc. The benefit Zaptag has over a regular USB is the branding. What use is it carrying critical medical information on a regular USB drive if medical personnel do not know it is there? As the brand grows we hope it will become as instantly recognisable as the old SOS braceelets etc. Zaptag users also carry a card which instructs medical staff what info is and how to use it.

Price – the current Zaptag 256 Waterproof Dongle is a Sandisk product that has been especially developed for use as a Portable Medical Record, with the military, emergency services etc in mind. It is probably one of the, if not the most rugged, waterproof USB drive currently on the market. Incidentally, we are soon to introduce several new products to our range which will be around half the price of the current Waterproof version. This will make Zaptag accessible to those on a lesser budget who do not need the ‘all singing, all dancing’ waterproof drive. (wrist band version already available 256 and 512 for £24.95 and 29.95 respecitively)

Software – the software that we have installed on to the drives has been customer developed specifically for its purpose. If the software does not autostart, the directions instruct medical staff to open the software via the my computer function etc.

Welcome your thoughts...

#75388 - 11/01/06 04:42 PM Re: Zaptag Digital Dog Tag?
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I will stand by my previous position regarding this product as well as ICE and other mechanisms for providing/transferring emergency information, medical or otherwise (i.e. contact information). These products are best viewed as providing such information in the hospital setting. It is rare (by my experiences) to have the time to look for these mechanisms of information transfer and in many cases not even possible or desirable. As I have stated previously, wallets with potentially vital information are generally transferred to or directly obtained by Law Enforcement. Even if I have first shot at a patent’s wallet, my first reaction is to immediately turn it over to LE and in their presence to avoid any accusations of theft.

In our jurisdiction, we do not carry computers in the field and in many ways, I would not want to do so, as it would be one more thing to carry, keep track of and potentially damage.

What every EMS provider is trained to look for: is a MEDICAL ALERT ID necklace, bracelet or other MEDICAL ALERT type of jewelry. It is universal (at least in the US), provides immediate and vital information, cost effective and in my humble opinion, the best mechanism of providing immediate life saving information

Pete

#75389 - 11/02/06 07:54 AM Re: Zaptag Digital Dog Tag?
paulr Offline
Addict

$80 for a small thumb drive is just excessive, I don't care what sw is on it, no matter what it is there's free software that's better. I do see some value in carrying some scanned personal docs etc. on an encrypted thumb drive. I have a really tiny flat one in my wallet (Kingmax Super Stick, google for it, it's great and the 256 meg one was under $10) though mostly for general purpose use. The MicroSD cards are really tiny (like 10mm square and 1.5mm thick) and would use almost no space in a PSK or in a watertight match case, but you need an adapter to plug them into a usb port. The Super Stick is larger than MicroSD but should still fit ok with other stuff in a PSK or spy capsule. Another idea is to upload your encrypted files to a remote web site or just email them to yourself on hotmail or gmail. For emergency medical info I'm sure Paramedicpete is right, the Medic Alert bracelet is the only thing that will do any good.

#75390 - 11/02/06 10:44 AM Re: Zaptag Digital Dog Tag?
Holby Offline

Your comements make alot of sense, however it is in the hospital that we envisage the product being used; the focus here is on secondary care once the pateint has reached the hospital- not so much at the scene of an emergency. Numerous A&E doctors who have reviewed Zaptag have said that they would find the information contained invaluable when treating patients in ER.

#75391 - 11/02/06 04:39 PM Re: Zaptag Digital Dog Tag?
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I would be surprised if the hospitals didn't have a rule forbidding plugginy in any USB devices. Most businesseds do because its way to easy for an employee to bring in a virus. Any place that doesn't is just asking for trouble. Thats how most of the virus/worms/etc spread now. Everyone relies on their firewall to protect them from the evil internet but most things come from inside by someone just wanting to edit a document at home. The big news (windows) worms (sql slammer affectinf a bank's atm machines, nimda, code red) all were spread that way.
I know if I were It at a hospital I wouldn't allow anyone to plug in a USB drive from someone unknown.

#75392 - 11/02/06 04:46 PM Re: Zaptag Digital Dog Tag?
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
For what it is worth, if I were in business with this product, my target customer would be nursing and long term care faculties. Not necessary patents themselves, but the company or agency responsible for operations. Obtaining up-to-date health related information on nursing home patients is often a nightmare.

Many nursing homes may have only 1 RN on a particular shift, especially at night and will supplement with Heath Care Aide level staffing. Obtaining pertinent health information from these individuals for immediate treatment can be challenging at times, no less so for providing the hospital with health histories and medication lists that are often extensive and potentially out of date.

Having a uniform and up-to-date mechanism of transferring health related information between the nursing home and hospital would seem to me a potentially huge market.

Pete

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 260 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.