Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#75016 - 10/17/06 08:37 PM Energizer Quick Switch flashlight
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Anyone ever handle the Energizer Quick Switch flashlight? A picture can be found here .

For emergency use, the same cheap ($13) flashlight can run on 2 AA, C, or D batteries by simply sliding some switch. Replace the bulb with one of the many LED replacements, and you have a flexible, long-lasting source of light. I, like may ETSers, try to standardize my gear on a single battery type, but that can be a liability if, for whatever reason, you're not able to get your hands on more of that type of battery. Then you're up the creek.

I doubt that this flashlight is sturdy and reliable enough to make it my primary light, but I think the Quick Switcher could make a good backup light. And if kept around for indoor use, it should be OK as a primary light in your typical blackout-type situation at home. I'm sure there are plenty of kitchen drawers out there with a hodge-podge of different batteries in them. Anyway, it gives you some options in a compact, inexpensive package. Any thoughts?

I guess I should say it's "inexpensive" without purchasing an additional replacement LED bulb.

Edited by Arney (10/17/06 08:58 PM)

#75017 - 11/02/06 08:30 AM Re: Energizer Quick Switch flashlight
paulr Offline
Addict

I've seen them and never been tempted. They haven't caught on much on CPF either (CPF = flashlight buff heaven, www.candlepowerforums.com). I advise an AA powered LED light and some spare cells for it. They are the easiest type of cell to scrounge. You can find them in everything.

#75018 - 11/11/06 11:37 PM Re: Energizer Quick Switch flashlight
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I rarely peruse Candlepower Forums, but today, I see that some CPFers had the same idea as me--Energizer Quick Switch with an LED replacement bulb. In this case, they're using the highly regarded SMJLED replacement bulb. There are some great beamshots of the Quick Switch versus a couple other flashlights in this thread, although only flashaholics would have any idea what the other flashlights were--"...Fenix L1P, and Milky-fied Pimped Q3". Compared to your typical incandescent 2D flashlight from some big box store, the Quick Switch/SMJLED would probably look a lot better in comparison.

The purle tint is a bit surprising, but it's probably not that noticeable in real use. Even so, that's a characteristic of this particular SMJLED and not the flashlight itself. The beam is "ringy" but bright, and again, it might not be so noticeable in real use. These CPF guys seem to also love the battery flexibility and long runtime that this combo provides, so I'm not the only one.

Anyway, for those people who have enough disclipline to keep a decent stock of fresh batteries on hand, there are many better flashlights out there than the Quick Switch. But I still think the battery flexibility aspect makes this flashlight something you might want to have at least one of in your emergency kit. You never know. You may lose, give away, or somehow run out of your extra batteries. If you did need to go out and try and scrounge more batteries, you have seriously increased your possibilities with the Quick Switch. And with the LED, even batteries that others consider "dead" because they barely make their incandescent flashlights glow a dim orange can provide usable light with an LED. Anyway, just another lighting option.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 377 Guests and 93 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.