Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7413 - 07/19/02 02:52 PM Re: BLEACH--Safe Dosage?
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
>>>"But I also must caution that I never used chlorine bleach personally."<<<<br>>>>How do you get the white shirts clean?<<<<br><br>Hmm... The dry cleaner?<br><br>Actually, I do use bleach to disinfect/sterilize aquariums tanks and equipment.

#7414 - 07/19/02 06:51 PM Re: BLEACH
PryBry Offline

Loc: mn, usa
I've used bleach carried in a empty eye dropper bottle (be sure to mark the bottle!) on camping/canoe trips for years and never had any probelms... I carry two 1 quart bottles drink from one and fill and treat the other... four drops per fill and then it needs to stand about an hour before your drink it.<br>One other tip, if you don't like the taste, a trick I use is to dump the glass of water your about to drink from one cup to another a couple times to help release the clorine... actually works quite well. You do get used to the taste and smell very quickly right from the bottle though.

#7415 - 07/28/02 03:06 AM Re: BLEACH
Anonymous
Unregistered

#7416 - 07/28/02 07:48 PM Re: BLEACH
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
Gator,<br><br>Nice website you suggested. I cruised around it a bit. The link in your email did not come up for me initially (I shortened the URL you provided and got to the site to poke around), and I found info. on chlorine/bleach which is what I think you were referring to. <br><br> In the course on looking around, I found a word search box in that site. When I keyed in Potassium Permanganate it came up with a bunch of references to what appears to be a single main document of about 346 pages. This provided additional & interesting reading (to me at least). This document has information regarding the recommended amounts to use for various chemicals.<br><br>Considering that water treatment has been the subject of several threads in the recent past, it was nice to see another "official" take on the subject.<br><br>FWIW . . . On a side note, although I recall having seen water disinfection information of bleach bottles in the past, since reading this thread, I've been looking at bleach bottles in several stores (Publix / Winn Dixie / Costco / Walmart) and strangley enough have not seen these instructions printed on any of about 20 different brands of bleach. <br><br>Also, I found that there has been a massive increase in the amount of bleaches that have other active ingredients. It was a bit of a task to find good ole plain bleach with one active ingredient. <br><br>Enjoy,<br>Comanche7

Edited by Comanche7 (07/28/02 07:58 PM)

#7417 - 07/30/02 12:00 AM Re: BLEACH
Anonymous
Unregistered

I called Clorox a few hours ago. The instructions for emergency water purification were as follows. <br> 16 drops per gallon. (thats 1 drop per cup)<br> or 1 teaspoon for five gallons<br> wait 30 minutes before drinking.<br>Buy the regular Clorox, not the scented kind. On the side of the jug is a customer service phone number. They will check to see if you have the proper version of Clorox, by asking you the bar code number, and will give instructions for using it in such a manner.<br> I just tried to filter and purify some water out of a mud puddle in my driveway. One drop per cup is quite strong.<br> I need to work on my makeshift filtration though. I ground some charcoal and sandwiched it between two coffee filters. I placed this inside half a gatorade container. (the one they call the "edge" bottle) It works pretty well, but the coffee filters get clogged up far too fast. At first I thought it was the charcoal clogging the filters, but I had the same result without charcoal. Maybe I will try to find some of that "micro-fine" screen they use in some coffee makers and some high performance automotive oil filters.

#7418 - 07/30/02 03:31 PM Re: BLEACH
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you are planning to drink the water that you are purifying from the mud puddle in your driveway, I hope you have considered the possibility of toxic chemicals that might be on the driveway. I would not count on them being removed by the process you described.

#7419 - 07/30/02 03:52 PM Re: BLEACH
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Castaway,<br><br><br>Good point!! I regularly observe my neighbors dumping oil, antifreeze, old gasoline etc...in the creek. I don't believe that the issue of chemical pollutants has been addressed on the forum, although it definately should be. I can't think of a single "fits in a PSK" water treatment process that will deal with those sorts of contaminaints. I'm not even sure if any of my water purifiers will (scary thought).<br><br>Anybody know anything about this?<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#7420 - 07/30/02 04:14 PM Re: BLEACH
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Good point. Activated charcoal should deal with *most* of the organics, but it does nothing for heavy metals, for example.<br><br>It's not just roadway runoff to consider. <br><br>Agricultural runoff from this part of the country is normally chock full of all kinds of pesticides, herbicides, and nitrates/other fertilizer compounds. There's a huge spike in the ambient levels in our rivers everytime it rains upstream of the sampling points. Drain the wetlands... wait, we already did that to over 98% of them in this part of the country...<br><br>In other parts of the country, mining runoff can be bad for you. Specifics vary, but heavy metals are highest on my list of concerns. It's hard-to-impossible in some parts of Colorado to be certain that the stream one obtains water from is not being laced with staggering amounts of heavy metals from abandoned mines. There is potentially more immediately lethal runoff from certain types of mining operations, but these - like cyanide leaching operations - are usually pretty well contained these days and the most usual conditions that might lead to significant leakage are the same conditions that would tend to greatly dilute the effluent.<br><br>Other than distilation or reverse osmosis, there are no GOOD solutions to heavy metal contamination. Exchanging aluminum for heavy metals, as several filters do, scares the bejabbers out of me - the cure may be as bad or worse than the problem.<br><br>I'm neither anti-ag nor anti-mining; these are just additional things to consider. Practically speaking, one is unlikely to be in dire straits for water in this part of the country and even if so, if the water didn't numb or irritate the mouth/throat (chemicals), it's probably not gonna incapacitate/kill one. <br><br>And by similar reasoning, a few days drinking lead-laced water is probably not going to cause any long-term or irreversable problems. Play the odds - but know what they are. Long term exposure to either circumstance is another story, of course.

#7421 - 07/30/02 06:56 PM Re: BLEACH
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I've always wanted to try roasting Chicory root to make coffee. Unfortunately, the only place I've seen in numbers is along roadsides. Someone cautioned me long ago about eating plants on curbs and roadside ditches as the plant can absorb nasties from traffic residue. So the caution about drinking water can be extended to edible plants as well.

#7422 - 07/30/02 07:47 PM Re: BLEACH
Anonymous
Unregistered

You mean your neighbors havn't been made to drink the water of their own making? Stop polluting it and you won't need to worry about it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 428 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.