Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7403 - 07/13/02 07:04 PM BLEACH
Anonymous
Unregistered

does anyone know the validity of bleach in purifying water? i recently added a small bottle of "ice drops" breath freshener filled with bleach (75 drops to be exact) to my PSK. the bottle is about 1 1/4"x1/2" i have heard that 1 or two drops will purify one quart,and i heard elsewhere that 16 drops will purify one gallon

#7404 - 07/14/02 02:23 AM Re: BLEACH
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think your measurements are about right, but I would be concerned about long-term storage of bleach inside that sort of container.<br><br>I would stick with purification tablets, I think the storage and safety considerations are simpler.

#7405 - 07/14/02 02:50 AM Re: BLEACH
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

See Doug's article on water purification regarding bleach.

#7406 - 07/17/02 10:23 PM Re: BLEACH
Anonymous
Unregistered

On most brands there is instructions on the side of the container.

#7407 - 07/18/02 02:00 PM Re: BLEACH--Safe Dosage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bleach is not my first line of defense for water purification, but I can conceive a situation where it might be the only option. What I can't find is a definitive answer as to the proper dosage. Doug recommends six drops per gallon--so you know that has to be in the ballpark, but others, (including Fema) recommend 16 drops per gallon (one drop per cup) and others recommend up to 32 drops per gallon for "dirty" water. Does anyone know at what point the bleach could actually become poisonous--doing more harm than good? On the other end, does anyone know the minimum effective dosage(with some certainty that the water is properly purified)? It is surprising that there is such a wide range of suggested dosage regarding a process that has been around forever. Come on you chemistry guys....give us a break--and a clue! grin<br><br>take care,<br><br>Robb<br><br>If not now, when? If not us, who?

#7408 - 07/18/02 02:11 PM Re: BLEACH--Safe Dosage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

To purify water that could be biologically contaminated, first strain visibly dirty water through a cloth. Use standard household chlorine bleach with 5.25% sodium hypochlorite as its only active ingredient, add 2 drops/qt (32 oz) or 1/2 teaspoon/5gal, double for cloudy water, stir, wait 30 minutes, a distinct taste or odor of chlorine should remain, if not, treat again and wait 15 minutes, repeat as necessary. The remaining taste or odor of chlorine is a sign of safety: if it is absent, the bleach may have lost effectiveness in storage (storage time is at least 2 years). Remember to loosen the cap of the water storage container and shake some treated water into the threads immediately after dosing to sanitize that area and prevent cross-contamination.

#7409 - 07/18/02 03:39 PM Re: BLEACH--Safe Dosage?
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Remember that colder water tempuratures will slow down the reaction so it may take longer to purify (i.e., mountain stream, melted snow, etc.) Also, the concentration of sodium hypochlorite may differ from brand to brand. Check the label. The chart I have lists the following dosage per gallon:<br><br>1% 40 drops<br>4 - 6% 8 drops<br>7 - 10% 4 drops<br><br>But I also must caution that I never used chlorine bleach personally.

#7410 - 07/18/02 08:30 PM Re: BLEACH--Safe Dosage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks guys....but Willie, you said:<br><br>"But I also must caution that I never used chlorine bleach personally."<br><br>How do you get the white shirts clean?<br><br><br>

Edited by robb (07/18/02 08:31 PM)

#7411 - 07/18/02 11:16 PM Re: BLEACH--Safe Dosage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[censored] in place of white. <br><br>Similarly, I'd just go ahead and pack Potable Aqua. The knowledge of bleach dosage is good to have in a contingency, but appears to be elusive!

#7412 - 07/19/02 01:27 AM Re: BLEACH--Safe Dosage?
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Depends. Chlorine is a good way to extend the shelf life of munincipal water, expecially when coupled with cool dark storage. We keep a 55 gallon drum in the cold storage room for each person in the family and although we refresh the water annually, it would be safe to assume it could go 5 years (at least). The total amount of water is the reason I use it, not the size of the storage containers - that's a lot of otherwise expensive processes or chemicals to ensure the water is not growing cooties in storage. Bleach is cheap. <br><br>I use iodine tablets otherwise. (Or simply drink the water - it depends on where I am.)<br><br>Chlorine (bleach) will even kill the tough bugs - eventually. The hard bodied stuff like crytosporodium take forever to get knocked out - well, a really long time, anyway. Not practical for immediate consumption, but if one can wait 24 - 48 hours... it's certainly better than no treatment.<br><br>Mostly just another good bit of info to keep tucked away just in case, IMHO.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.