Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#7358 - 07/17/02 09:49 PM Re: Urban survival for the executive
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>It seems to me that people are being programmed by the media to fear most everything around them now-a-days. The media has been saying that knives and sharp objects of any kind are a big no no at airports because terrorists used box cutters to hijack the jets and all of a sudden they start thinking that anyone that carries is a potential terrorist. These people will vote away their constitutional rights just for a little implied and imaginary safety. A very dangerous place for this country to be in right now, that's for sure. <<<br><br>I agree. Careful, though... talk like that here, and you may find the thread closed. <br><br>(Sorry, Chris - I couldn't resist). :-)

#7359 - 07/20/02 02:30 AM Re: Urban survival for the executive
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im not an executive, but I do frequent many cities and factories around the country. When in certain US states (the ones I frequent most often) I keep a 357 magnum on my side. (Particularly Atlanta GA and Knoxville TN). A good high ride belt slide will conceal really large pistols under a sport coat. Under an oversized t-shirt also for that matter. <br>I would prefer a Kimber Pro CDP in 45 but my 4 inch Ruger GP100 is more versatile. <br> After much study of FBI forensic results and quite a few medium sized animals shot with all kinds of loads I have decided to keep the old FBI 38 load in this gun for defensive purposes. This is a 158 grain semi-wadcutter hollowpoint moving around 900-1000 feet per second. Its effectiveness in FBI reports is almost identical to a 45 military ball. <br> I keep an ASP Saphire on a lanyard attached to my watch when out at night. Its not my choice for my tin, but that blinding blue light destroys a persons night vision. (try it if you dont believe it) <br> All of these things used in a modified Harries stance should be quite effective. I say should because (thankfully) I havent had to try it in real life. <br> There is always the most important point to consider though. Situational awareness is the more important than any tool or weapon. Avoid the necessity of fighting for your survival. Its like private pilot training. You train for the worst so you will never allow yourself to be put in such a situation. <br> As far as knives go....I consider them tools, not weapons.<br><br>This answer may be a bit much for some people because of its Southeastern USA flavor, but that is the world I live in. I dont lie to myself and think that I, at 5'-8" and 150 lbs, could overpower a 6 foot tall 200 lb criminal holding a machete (or more likely a gun). My only responsibility and moral consideration is that I return home to my wife and son. All else is secondary.

#7360 - 07/20/02 03:36 AM Re: Urban survival for the executive
Anonymous
Unregistered

They have no idea what can be done with a leather shoelace.

#7361 - 07/20/02 06:29 PM Re: Urban survival for the executive
Anonymous
Unregistered

I went to the courthouse in Orlando recently and they wouldn't let me carry in a safety pin I had..potential deadly weapon, the officer said. BTW I feel this urban info is especially good for a larger number of people than the wilderness skills. I've learned so much here!

Edited by Skylynx (07/20/02 06:31 PM)

#7362 - 07/22/02 07:47 AM Re: Urban survival for the executive
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
Here's my list-in-progress of things that fit neatly into pockets:<br><br>Knives: Victorinox Midnite MiniChamp II (very small, lots of tools, scissors, pen, and light--non threatening!) and a Gerber Harsey Air Ranger II (flat and elegant, but large 3.875" blade--keep it in your pants!), also a Victorinox Money Clip with a bit of cash.<br><br>Whistle: Ultimate Survival Jet Scream (flatter than most, dark color)<br><br>Lighter: Brunton Helios<br><br>Pen: Upscale pen with Fisher Space Pen refill<br><br>Lights: 2x Photon Micro-Light III Covert (white and red)<br><br>Watch: diver's chronometer (I like the Breitling SuperOcean Pro)<br><br>Your choice of cell phone<br><br>In a wallet/card case: Ultimate Survival Star-Flash mirror (good for grooming too), two unlubed condoms (you never know what you might use these for), two Purell towellettes (hands get dirty at the worst times), two adhesive bandages, two single servings of ibuprofen or other pain reliever (good for executive stress headaches), and a bit of thin strong cord (in shoelace type bundle, or tied in elaborate decorative knot on keychain), also a small bit of dental floss (I have a coin sized tin of Gore Glide floss), and a sewing needle or two and a bit of suture material or thread<br><br>In another wallet/card case: two credit cards, two prepaid calling cards, and business cards, driver's license, ATM card, etc.<br><br>Passport (never know when you might need to skip town, if you're an exec)<br><br>and a small Ace black rubber comb for grooming (if you still have hair), and a small pack of Breath Asure tablets (sometimes surviving the executive enviornment is a challenge, get all the advantage you can!)<br><br>High quality, impact resistant, optically pure sunglasses.<br><br>Handkerchief.<br><br>This should create a decent start for an urban survival kit without generating too much fuss from your associates.<br><br>Plus, here's a few things you might want to stash where you can get them quickly if you're downtown:<br><br>Leatherman Wave<br>Petzl Zipka LED headlamp<br>Rescue or dive knife, fixed blade<br>3M dust mask (the flat folding kind)<br>small AM/FM/TV/Weather radio with headphones<br><br>

Edited by amper (07/22/02 08:06 AM)

#7363 - 07/23/02 01:43 AM Re: Urban survival for the executive
dewey Offline

Loc: Central Massachusetts
People rarely ask. When they do it's a casual "why would you carry that", so I reply "because I find it useful" (Yeah, I'm a bit of a smart-a@$ -- people are used to it).<br><br>If they press with "but why do you carry a whistle" I say "You should try to get my kids attention!" (It works for that, too)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.