Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#730 - 05/18/01 06:16 PM Portable water filters?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi guys,<br>I went to Bass pro shop and REI outfitters last weekend looking for a moderate priced backpack water filtering system. I want to put one in my truck kit since I really dislike the tablets. I am going camping/hiking Memorial day weekend and would like any suggestions for a unit up to $150. Pur' seems to be what I am looking at but which model? There will be 4 adults and 3 children in our group but only 2 adults and 2 of the children will be doing any hiking. We have water at the campsite but if we need more water it would be nice to have a filter with us when camping.<br>Thanks<br>Barracuda<br><br>Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. <br>—Thomas Jefferson <br>

#731 - 05/18/01 09:06 PM Re: Portable water filters?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have the katyden.the ergonomics are at times frustrating,but it works.The price has stabilized at $200.There was a price war and units were at $150 for a while.I've tried a friends PUR Explorer which is just about at your price ceiling.I like it very much.With 4 adults and 3 children capacity is a criterion,and since this will be a base or truck unit the weight is of less concern.Palatability may be an issue,especially with children,so a few packets of Tang or Koolaid are a good idea.I always have a serving of cultured yogurt before any preplanned adventure.A healthy gut flora will help you handle all the unseen environmental changes that can add up to distress.Don't forget that brushing teeth require purified water also.<br><br>

#732 - 05/19/01 12:39 AM Re: Portable water filters?
Todd Offline
newbie member

Loc: oh
A few weeks ago, I was preparing for a 4 day hike and put up a post about chlor-floc tabs in addition to the PUR hiker microfilter ($59.95). The microfilter does not eliminate viruses (smaller than the .3 micron filter). Chris K. recommended it and I and my bowel were very pleased. It is easy to use, guaranteed not to clog for a year and filters fairly fast. I was using a two litre container for my water and filled it in no time. Also depending on water quality it claims to filter 200 gallons on one cartridge! That's a lot of tooth brushing! I did however, at the advice of C.K., only get my H20 from the fast moving parts of a stream or creek. I and my dog ate lots o' yogurt, too.<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.