Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#7313 - 07/08/02 08:10 PM Back from Camp
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
First day back from a week at Scout camp. The week was a great success for the troop. The heat index of 100+F made life difficult the first few days as a few of the boys didn't heed warning to dring water all day long. But they recovered and the weather finally broke midweek. <br><br>Several of the boys worked on Wilderness Survival merit badge, including my son. I was to sleep out in a shelter too, but I simply ran out of time to build one. We had 43 boys in camp and they kept us leaders hopping. Also, I was working with 8 of them on Environmental Science merit badge so I had very little time to myself.<br><br>My son made a great shelter out of fallen branches, pine boughs and leaves. The councilor was impressed enough to take a photol of it. Unfortunately, my son developed a wheeze after 30 minutes in the shelter. He has asthma so I was not surprised. I even warned the staff medical officer that night that we may end up knocking on his door for treatment. Luckily, he's mature enough to recognize the symtoms early and his inhaler was sufficient remedy.<br><br>At first blush, this may seem an unfortunate disaster, but I actually chalk it up as a valuable learning experience. We know know that an emergency shelter from natural materials is not an option for him. So he must always make sure he has the materials (poncho, mylar blanket , plastic bags, etc.) to create a non-allergic shelter.<br><br>Because of his schedule with other badges (Lifesaving, Camping & Small Boat Sailing), he didn't get a chance to make his shelter until our last night. So he'll have to try it again on our next outing at Devils Lake State Park in Wisconsin next month.<br><br>BTW, I was truly disappointed that my Cherry/Rasberry cobbler with a Cream Cheese pastry crust didn't win the "World's Best Cobbler" competition. However, the winning entry was from a special needs troop and I don't think I have ever seen such and proud, excited group of scout as them!<br><br>I'll catch up and write a new journal entry in a few weeks for those who follow my expoits on my web site.

#7314 - 07/09/02 12:56 AM Re: Back from Camp
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Bill, I often wonder who learns more, the teachers or students? I took responsibility ( and half ownership) in a badly abused Morgan Stallion with desireable ( and rare) bloodlines.Trouble is, he wanted to kill anyone that came near him. Two weeks in a pasture ( he was locked in a dark 12x12 box stall for 6 months), and we were running up to the fence to throw hay to him. The facility owner had a group of autistic/Down's children over today. I looked over to see a boy STANDING ON THE FENCE petting the stallion! The horse sensed the innocence in him. I was able to enter and just sat in his pasture four hours until he slowly approached me. Now who was the real horseman today? Not me!!!!!

#7315 - 07/09/02 03:16 AM Re: Back from Camp
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
Hi Chris,<br><br>It looks to me (at least it does from my vantage point of over 1,500 miles away anyhow) that you and your stock are much better off at a facility whose owner/manager actually invites/allows disabled children to come onsite to be around the animals, rather than at a place where the owner throws rakes and abuse around with wild abandon. Somehow, I don't think most folks would have any reason to change their mind if they were able to look at it close up either. <br><br>Hmmm . . . bet it must have been fun trying to capture and relocate the Morgan from the old facility while you were under that pressure.<br><br>Regards,<br>Comanche7

#7316 - 07/09/02 04:31 AM Re: Back from Camp
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I had the able help of a traditional charro amansadore.The stallion was roped at a gallop and gently dropped with a second reata to the foreleg. I ran up and held the head down with a towel over his eyes as my DVM administered a sedative. My local CHP enforced the peace with my former partner. As Peanut may know, sedating an allready physically and mentally stressed animal is an exercise in caution. He was allready getting "fresh' when I slipped the halter off. I figure any horse that will accept me can be fixed in time.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 433 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.