The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#73007 - 09/08/06 04:47 PM Re: discovered a flaw in my EDC
iain Offline
Stranger

Loc: Ontario, Canada
What I've done to waterproof my altoids tin has been to put a ranger band around it as a seal. It was a little tricky to get on, but now all I need to do is fold it down to open the tin, and fold it back up when it's closed again.

It looks great, holds it closed tightly, makes it waterproof, and can be useful in a pinch.

When you step out that door in the morning you never really know what you're going to encounter.

#73008 - 09/08/06 04:47 PM Re: discovered a flaw in my EDC
teacher Offline
Old Hand

resource link:

http://www.aquapac.net/

Of course you could use rubbermaid boxes to keep out dust and drips...not 'underwater' water proof, but will keep the rain out.

Teacher

#73009 - 09/09/06 06:52 AM Re: discovered a flaw in my EDC
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
I go the route of small zipper bags for those things that need it The rest I can dry out. At local fairs and flea markets there is usually one or more dealers of knick knacks that sell assorted sizes of the Zip Loc Type baggies. From about 1 inch square These are great for a half dozen to a dozen coated cotton balls. Also keeps the kit clean. There are 2x2's 2x3's 2x4's etc. to about 6x6's. You get about a hundred for a couple of bucks. As the size increases the quantity goes down to keep the price per bundle about the same. Many places use them as small parts bags. For $20 you could probably get a lifetime supply of assorted sizes if you can find one of these dealers.

These things won't stand up to being stepped on or much of anything else. But they will keep things that need to stay dry in a kit dry. Especially if it is a quick or shallow dip.They keep my vonerable items dry even if the kit is soaked through. If you are into scuba they make specialty products for that.

For the phone I have no idea as I don't own one.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#73010 - 09/10/06 05:31 AM Re: discovered a flaw in my EDC
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
Ziploc freezer bags. Or for that size, I use some small pill storage bags from Walgreens. I keep one Altoids tin sealed with a wrap of electrical tape. That's not completely water-tight, but it would survive a quick dunk. It also makes it harder to raid the contents if I don't really need to.

The Witz and other brand wallet-sized waterproof boxes are available at any boat equipment store. Oddly enough, Disneyworld resorts sell them in their gift shops and pool-side dining areas. It's like they knew you were coming.

#73011 - 09/10/06 10:58 PM Re: discovered a flaw in my EDC
paulr Offline
Addict

All these suggestions involving ziploc bags I think will get holes worn through them from pocket carry pretty quickly. I'd look for ways to seal the Altoids tin, e.g. with candle wax, or tape around it with clear lacquer over the tape. That assumes that it's only for emergency use, since once you open it, it's no longer waterproof. A narrow piece of large-diameter heat shrink tubing would be preferable to tape, I guess.

#73012 - 09/11/06 03:01 PM Re: discovered a flaw in my EDC
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
You know, I never thought of looking in the gift shop (mutter mutter) (I was at Animal Kingdom Lodge BTW)

Sealing the tin itself is an idea, but with the hinges and the like might be a tad hard, and I'm of the school "the kit is meant to be used", not the "don't use unless emergency" school
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#73014 - 09/17/06 12:24 PM Re: Try a balloon
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
A friend of mine also had found a mini Pelican case. I looked as though it could hold a small spiral bound memo book.

#73015 - 09/18/06 12:41 PM Re: Try a balloon
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I've looked at all the Pelican cases etc - right now, I'm thinking of modifying a Plano case - but the one I have is too large AND not water tight

There seems to be a set of watertight plano cases sold (Model 1060), but of course, the 4 stores I tried this weekend did NOT have them

Anyone have one/tried one?
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#73016 - 09/19/06 12:12 AM Re: discovered a flaw in my EDC
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Water. My nemesis.

First, once again, let me introduce you to Tracfone. My trusty Nokia 1100 has been through the wash. All the way through. As in found and recovered in the final spin cycle, dried over the hearth for 24 hours and back in service. They don't advertise that it's waterproof, and technically, it probobly isn't, but hey, that' smy story.
I carry my phone wrapped in a layer of plastic wrap. It's hardly noticeable and you get perfectly fine audio through the plastic, and rain resistance to boot.

The next thing is zip-lock bags. Good for a quick dunk, not good for fording a river. I ALWAYS keep my FAK elements in a zip-lock, no matter what.

Finally, look into a watch by the Dakota Watch Company. They come in these mini-plastic cases that are sort of like mini-pelican cases. They aren't ultra durable, but they are good for small electronics.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.