Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7279 - 07/04/02 07:19 PM You can't prepare for everything
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Hello all,<br><br>The bad news:<br><br>My big vacation plans for this weekend aborted spontaneously 3 hours into a 12 hour trip, when the head gasket on the car blew. I carry lots of things in the car to make field/improvised repairs, but none was of any use this time. Does anyone know of an improvised repair for this one?<br><br>The good news: <br><br>It could have been a LOT worse.<br><br>No one was hurt. We were able to safely make it to the emergency lane and, as luck would have it, we came to a stop under an overpass (shade!). Wife and children were moved off the road with water bottles in hand (I carry a case in the car) and I quickly determined the problem (the car was broke beyond my capacity to fix it). Just as I was reaching for the cell phone, the first of three LEOs arrived. He kindly agreed to take my wife and chilluns to an air conditioned place (all three of them are sensitive to the heat) while I waited for a tow truck. <br><br>Fortunately, we broke down in Lexington, Ky. Fortunate because I have family in Lexington, including an uncle who owns an auto shop smile The wife and kids were rescued by my aunt and the tow truck driver showed up quickly. I got off cheap because of my uncle ($60 vs. $150), and less than 2 hours after the breakdown I was drinking umbrella drinks at my aunts while the kids played in her pool. We were returned home while the car awaits repair (my uncle's shop is way backed up, and I'm not going to get fixed cheaper anywhere else) after a night of only minor discomfort (I hate water beds).<br><br>The holiday hasn't been a total loss. They kids and I played in the sprinkler this morning, the mower finally got fixed, the lawn finally got mowed, and we have enough money left to BBQ tonight. <br><br>Thank God for cops, cell phones and good timing. And of course, family. I hope everyone has a better holiday than I have so far.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#7280 - 07/04/02 09:02 PM Re: You can't prepare for everything
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Andy, My ancient volvo was pressed into two round trip trips up the coast to recover a nephew I had just droped off, followed by a trip to the upper desert of Edwards AFB and Space Shuttle fame for a family death. That was an easy 500 miles. I had to take off again to feed horses ( late allready and no phone to use) and lost a wheel in the middle of nowhere ( improperly refitted bearing on my new tire set). I finally got towed into town, everything closed and .03 in my pocket and a rapidly maxing C/C. Repaired car in A.M. after sleeping in it and dining on Mainstay rations and water. Went to the ranch ASAP and was told to vacate my horses in 5 days. ( after he swore, hit me with a rake and nearly had a stroke). I have to go up there in an hour, with a sherrif present and move 4 horses,tack etc. There are days, and then there are days :O(

#7281 - 07/04/02 10:17 PM Re: You can't prepare for everything
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
Hi Ade,<br> <br>Observations regarding the leaking head gasket, hmmm . . . been there & done that, no fun.<br> <br>Basically it boils down to "SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE WINDSHIELD & SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE BUG" >Big Grin<<br> <br>It sounds like you've made some nice lemonade out of life's little lemons that we get hit with. As far as I can tell, you made the best recovery possible, having the water on hand is (in my book anyway a mandatory item). Fixing head gaskets ain't a fun job, depending upon your beast of burden this is feasible in the field, but I'd rather do it in the shade of my own driveway. <br> <br>You were fairly close to home, and with kin in the region you were in good shape. For what it is worth, the only thing that I might have considered with this type of problem is some "radiator / engine block seal". Typically auto parts places have several varieties of this, I've had better luck with the type that appears to be finely granulated copper flakes in some sort of binder that seems to flow to the cracks / voids in the water jacket and then seal under heat and some pressure. There are other varieties (I even heard of old timers using oatmeal to do this, but I can only imagine the mess to clean up when you finally get into the engine to fix it right.) Other things to consider are the condition of your thermostat, water pump & hoses. <br> <br>About 10 years ago, I had a similar experience (trip in Ford Aerostar Van, Miami to Orlando for a wedding). Overheated on the turnpike about 30 miles south of Orlando. Had a gallon water jug, which we kept busy. . . fill the radiator, leaving the cap loose to prevent faster water flow by increased pressure through the leaking freeze plug (yeah, it was deep in the back and inaccessible w/o removing the engine) and stopping about every 8 miles and getting replacement water from the canal. >grin< we were "fashionably late". <br> <br>Due to time constraints (work on Saturday/wedding on Sunday/work on Monday = about 550 miles driven in one day w/o considering Mr. Murphy playing with us ;>) ) we ended up driving back with 2 five gallon water jugs in the front seat, and about 12 feet of 3/8" hose through which we kept a constant refresher water flow to the open radiator cap by pouring water into a funnel inside the van. Hood stayed loose on the second safety catch and the hose was held in place at the radiator with a coat hanger. <br> <br>Sometimes you've gotta think out of the box . . . the people in the fast food / quickie mart place thought I was nuts when they saw me in a 3 piece suit and playing with hoses/bottles/funnels/pliers etc. Bottom line, don't argue success. Van lasted another 2 years.<br> <br>Can you guess whose car kit now includes hose & funnel?<br> <br>Have a safe and happy 4th.<br><br>Regards, Comanche7

#7282 - 07/04/02 11:24 PM Re: You can't prepare for everything
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Commanche,<br><br><br>Well, I figured I was going to enjoy myself as much as possible...holiday and all. Actually it started out as pretending to be calm so my wife wouldn't get any more worried than she already was. If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid and all that.<br><br>Heard from my uncle today; he thinks it's worse than just a gasket. Maybe a warped or cracked head. Lovely, eh? I'll let him fix it, anything made after 1980 is beyond my feeble skills. <br><br>Your comments about engine sealers made me cringe. I could have used that, but never having checked for gasket leaks, I didn't know I needed to. Probably doesn't work after the fact, does it? I'll have to start being more conscientious about preventative maintenance. I check tires, belt(s) and fluids dilligently. Everything else, I just wait for it to break. Maybe I need to learn about newer cars...<br><br>Thanks for the reply,<br><br>Andy

#7283 - 07/04/02 11:27 PM Re: You can't prepare for everything
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Chris,<br><br>Like I said, it could have been worse...I could have had to deal with horses. Those things scare the willies outa me. Hope everything works out.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#7284 - 07/05/02 12:00 AM Re: You can't prepare for everything
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

A quick check for gasket leaks is to open (TAKING appropriate precautions not to burn the bejabbers out of yourself in the process and/or getting a face full of steam etc.) the radiator after the vehicle has warmed up and see if there is any discoloration in the coolant, and/or any smell that is not like normal coolant.<br><br>Also, sometimes the radiator may be venting (due to blow by pressure) even though the temperature is not really abnormal. <br><br>An additional check it to look at the oil on the dipstick, if it starts changing from a nice oily color (varies on how long its been used) generally a black color to a coffee with milk color, you can figure on having water in you oil from the coolant. Another cue would be a rising oil level even though you haven't added any, and/or a suprisingly slow use of oil in an engine that typically can be counted on to need X amount added every X amount of miles or X amount of time.<br><br>My experience is that the block sealer is generally added after the symptoms make their presense known. Do not figure on it being a permanent fix though. Just a way to get down the line to make the proper repairs. <br><br>I concur with the mystery of newer engines and related troubleshooting/repair work. <br><br>Regards,<br>Comanche7

#7285 - 07/05/02 02:43 PM Re: You can't prepare for everything
peanut Offline
Journeyman

I can't do much to help from here, but you are in my prayers. Always remember Chris, that you are one of the good guys.<br><br>Luck,<br><br>Peanut

#7286 - 07/05/02 03:16 PM Re: You can't prepare for everything
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks peanut, it is amazing how the presence of a sherrifs deputy, humane society officer and his wife ( you just lost us 4 horses board income and your partner and de facto ranchhand ) can turn somebody into a calm, dignified gentleman farmer. Now, I wonder who told the authorities hes drivng a Utah registered truck in California since new with a .45 and .223 secreted behind the seat ( for coyotes).

#7287 - 07/06/02 02:49 PM Re: You can't prepare for everything
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Peanut, I concur with your sentiments . . . and would like to add that in addition to the everything else that Chris was already dealing with, he also spent some time in between the "fun events" in his day, working in the background on the server (programming / or whatever) in an effort to help me be able to post online.<br><br>Chris: <br>Although I sent a previous P.M. I wanted to say THANKS again.<br><br>Hope things keep working out for the better. It has often been observed that when one door closes, another opens. In my experience, the one that opens was generally hidden until the first one closed. <br><br>Good Luck<br>Comanche7

#7288 - 07/06/02 03:30 PM Re: You can't prepare for everything
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks guys, My horses are safe and I can stop popping antacids by the handfull. It suddenly dawned on his wife they were losing 4 horses board fees( leaving all of 6) and the de facto ranchhand,babysitter,trainer,dogwasher and BBQ cook. As I pulled out, his 10 year old son was struggling with water hoses as he flung road apples into a cart with a flat tire.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.