Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7265 - 07/03/02 07:52 AM The Heinlein Principle
Anonymous
Unregistered

HEINLEIN PRINCIPLE: <br>"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance Accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, Act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly. <br>Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein<br><br>Is this not what survial expects from us? I thought this was so apt for this forum.<br>

#7266 - 07/03/02 08:38 PM Re: The Heinlein Principle
Anonymous
Unregistered

I assume you've read Tunnel in the Sky? The past decades would have been much harder without what I learned as a boy from Deacon Matson... and if I'd learned it better, they would have been easier.<br><br>There are LOTS of Heinleiners out there... of course, since they tend to be more independent than any but the most rabid libertarians, they almost never actually join anything, so it's hard to gauge how many... :-)

#7267 - 07/04/02 04:24 AM Re: The Heinlein Principle
forester Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Oregon
You've spurred me into coming in out of the dark - I'm a long-time reader, first-time poster on this forum. Hope I can add to the discussions. I've certainly learned a great deal already. <br><br>I'm a "Heinleiner" from way back. Check out Farnham's Freehold for Heinlein's take on survival in a post-apocolyptic world. Rather dated but some interesting ideas.<br><br>I must admit to being an apocolypse junkie when it comes to literature (call it morbid curiosity). I've learned a few things about survival mentality that may help some day. My favorites are Earth Abides by George R. Stewart and The Postman by David Brin.<br><br>I have to thank you for a posting some months ago where you recommended The Rift by Walter J. Williams. I found it to be a good read. Any other recommendations?

#7268 - 07/04/02 04:37 AM Re: The Heinlein Principle
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good News by Edward Abbey. Post collapse Tucson Arizona is ruled by an ex B-52 pilot. One day a one eyed cowboy and his indian sidekick ride into town and stir the pot. Im going to move this to the campfire. I think we have a literary discussion brewing!

#7269 - 07/04/02 04:41 PM Re: The Heinlein Principle
Anonymous
Unregistered

forester,<br><br>Insofar as it's not presumptive for one mere user of the forum to welcome another, welcome aboard, and I hope you feel comfortable posting more often from now on. <br><br>Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed "The Rift"- I think it's one of the best of the genre I've seen in recent years.<br><br>I've read all of Heinlein's books- started reading him (his "juveniles") at age 7 or so, and caught up with his output in High School (books were not always trivial to locate before the web). I've probably read Farnham's Freehold 4 or 5 times over the years. If you enjoyed that, you'll probably get a kick out of seeing this:<br><br>http://www.robertcrais.com/worldheinlein.htm<br><br>If you have a particular interest in fallout shelters, a good novel is "Pulling Through" by Dean Ing, but it's very hard to find.. and wasn't printed on very good paper, so copies tend to be fragile now.<br><br>"Tunnel in the Sky" is on my short-list of candidates for all-time favorite book- I've lost count of how many copies I've given away.<br><br>Aside from "The Notebooks of Lazarus Long" (which contains the quote that kicked off this thread), Heinlein's book "Time Enough For Love" contains a section- ("Dora's Song?", it's not at hand) that has a great description of wilderness homesteading, that is in some ways reminiscent of the second section (of three) in Farnham's Freehold. <br><br>I have a pretty large library of post-apocalyptic fiction myself.. though certainly not comprehensive. It might help to know what you've read and liked, or not liked, thus far. Can I assume that you've read Lucifer's Hammer by Niven and Pournelle? That's certainly near the top of my list, though a little dated now.<br><br>P.S. - this may be a little over the top for some, but Heinlein's birthday is Sunday. Some of us make a point of raising a glass in his honor.

#7270 - 07/04/02 06:48 PM Re: The Heinlein Principle
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Hello all,<br><br>I too, love Heinlein. As well as those already mentioned "Number of the Beast" has some interesting ideas for a car/bug-out kit. Has any one read any of Heinlein's non-fiction? The only two I know of are "Take Back Your Government" and "Tramp Royale". Both are interesting. <br><br>Niven and Pournelle are great; they write better as a team than either does alone. "Lucifer's Hammer" is a classic, I particularly liked Dr. Alderson's survival kit. "Footfall", by the same authors is great, too. Niven's "Playgrounds of the Mind" and "N-Space" contain great insights/commentary into both books.<br><br>The best book by far, that I have read re: survival is "Wolf and Iron" by Gordon Dickson. Great stuff. <br><br>All for now. Take care.<br><br>Andy

#7271 - 07/04/02 09:38 PM Re: The Heinlein Principle
forester Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Oregon
I've enjoyed all of Abbey's writing. The first part of Lonesome Are the Brave (Burn's morning breakfast routine) always makes me want to head for the mountains.<br><br>I'm currently reading Castaway in Paradise by James C. Simmons. It's subtitled "The Incredible Adventures of True-Life Robinson Crusoes" and includes accounts of many people through history who have been forced into survival situations.<br><br>Being somewhat of a bookworm I checked out the number of "Survival" titles at a nearby bookstore. I found over a dozen separate authors! I'll stick to The Survival Forum for now. Any suggestions on what titles would make your short list?

#7272 - 07/04/02 10:12 PM Re: The Heinlein Principle
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
Hello All,<br><br>Been lurking for months, sending & receiving some private email with various forum members, and enjoying the online camaderie, finally overcoming some computer issues and posting for first time. <br><br>With reference to the Heinlein thread . . . I've enjoyed his and other sci-fi writers works since early school days, my Dad always had a full selection of books on our bookshelf at home and I find reading enjoyable, so it was a good mix.<br> <br>Additional suggestions for reading (at least from my end of the peanut gallery >Grin<) would be:<br><br>ALAS BABYLON by PAT FRANK<br>As I recall twin brothers growing up in the pre-mouse Orlando/north central Fla. area, one joins the military and is involved in protecting the country, the other stays at home . . . without giving away the plot entirely, they make a pact that if the military brother feels that things are coming to a disastrous halt, that he will let his brother (still in mouse less Fla >grin<) know so that he might prepare and take care of the immediate family. <br>A fairly good book that addresses some of the human and emotional aspects of this situation w/o going totally TEOWAWKI.<br> <br>Second suggestion (although not directly related to the Heinlein thread) is:<br>THE COWBOY & THE COSSACK by CLAIRE HUFFAKER<br>This is a great book set in the 1800's, it deals with horses / range cattle / travel / ocean trip / travel across pre-PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. Russia and some rather nice insights into humanity as well). <br>Nicely written from a first person perspective and just a plain decent book. Enjoy.<br><br>Regards, Comanche7

#7273 - 07/05/02 03:11 PM Re: The Heinlein Principle
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ade,<br><br>Funny, I don't remember the bug-out kit on Deceiver... I'm trying to locate my copy (don't laugh, there are a LOT of books here, and it may be 20 years since I read it). Any clue as to where it is in the book?<br><br>I enjoy Niven and Pournelle, but LH is still my favorite of their collaborations, with "Legacy of Herot" a close second. After that, maybe "Oath of Fealty"? Not sure.<br><br>I special-ordered "Wolf and Iron" from a used book source, but I'm sorry to have to say that I didn't really enjoy it much. Perhaps I just caught it at the wrong time or in the wrong mood- it happens- but there didn't seem to be much real plot, just aimless rambling, and a pretty continual abandonment of goals along the way.. and it was long for the apparent plot. Parts of it I found reminiscent of Heinlein's much-shorter story "Coventry".<br><br>"Some Will Not Die" by Algis Budrys is also a favorite, and getting harder to find. To my surprise, I found a copy on-line, but I'm not sure I'm supposed to be accessing it... the word "subscriber" occurs in the URL...

#7274 - 07/05/02 06:37 PM Re: The Heinlein Principle
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Lost,<br><br>Not so much a BOB as such, but more along the lines of what Zeb carried in Deceiver normally, and then particularly what they supplmented it with later (contents of the fridge, improvised survival clothing for Hilda, weapons, sentimental items, etc....) when bugging out for real. <br><br>Great book, probably my favorite Heinlein... although it's hard to chose. Time Enough for Love, Starship Troopers, Have Spacesuit Will Travel......they're all great.<br><br>Storm moving in, more later.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 294 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.