Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#7225 - 07/01/02 03:05 AM emergency paracord for keychain carry
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like to attach some wrapped(?) paracord to my keychain for emergency purposes, but I'm not sure what length to begin with or how to go about wrapping it to make it suitable for keychain carry. <br><br>Does anyone have any opinions on how/where I can begin?<br><br>Thanks

#7226 - 07/01/02 03:31 AM Re: emergency paracord for keychain carry
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You could simply make a small coil , self wrap with additional paracord and tie off. This is merely the way most small quantities of rope cordage is sold. Another option is the rescue belt, an actual using belt of braided paracord. The link is www.slatts.freeserve.co.uk/slatts-knot.htm Minimal length is dictated by what your comfortable carrying. I like to have enough on hand to make a expedient shelter tautline. Thats an easy 12'

#7227 - 07/01/02 07:09 PM Re: emergency paracord for keychain carry
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about some sort of macrame do-flotchie made from paracord to use as a fob to dangle from your keyring?

#7228 - 07/01/02 07:56 PM Re: emergency paracord for keychain carry
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have about 10' of paracord wrapped around my PSK and I would think that any formation of knots or bundling that actually held that much paracord would be about twice as large as your keychain and might be a bit of a bundle to carry that way. For any usable length of cordage that is reasonable to carry attached to your keychain you might want to think about a smaller diameter cord. Sure it is less strong but you really don't need 550 lb test cord to guy down a garbage bag shelter which has a tensile strength of about 1.5 lbs. something like a 20' length of 60 lb. test nylon cord might be much more usefull and still fit in a tightly wound bundle on a keychain without much more than doubling the size of the keys themselves.<br>Just a thought.

#7229 - 07/02/02 12:46 PM Re: emergency paracord for keychain carry
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
There is a knot that I saw in a book that allows you to make a ball out of any piece of rope. It looks kind of nice on your key chain. Yes it will take a long time to unwrap but it allows you to carry a longer amount of rope with you. <br><br>Matt

#7230 - 07/02/02 01:55 PM Re: emergency paracord for keychain carry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Monkey Fist

#7231 - 07/02/02 10:00 PM Re: emergency paracord for keychain carry
Anonymous
Unregistered

The monkey fist is actually not that hard to make. There are a number of sites on the web that provide directions to make it. It doesn't take that long to take apart either. I've used monkey fists to make bolos by having small stones as the center of the fist. You could theoretically make a small monkey fist out of some smaller lighter cord, and then make a larger monkey fist out of paracord and use the smaller "fist" as the center for the larger. That way you could have two lengths of two different sized ropes attached to the keychain.<br><br>I've also tried slatt's rescue belt and was fairly successful with it the first time round. I estimate that I used approximately 80 plus feet to make a 1 1/2 inch wide belt and it just barely fits my 36" waist. <br><br>Whenever I travel I add an additional mini-biner to the one that already carries my house and car keys. It carries a micro mag-lite, small knife sharpener, a few other things that I can't remember off hand, and a 3' length of paracord tied up in a hangman's noose.

#7232 - 07/03/02 06:13 PM Re: emergency paracord for keychain carry
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have made several "fobs" of paracord for key rings, etc., using a brading or plaiting techinque that my daughter learned at girl scout camp. I just did some web searching, and this is the best set of instructions I have found so far...<br><br>To make a round braid: <br>1. Remove tangles from the braiding material and divide it into four or more equal strands. <br>2. Weave the left strand across to the right. <br>3. When that strand is on the right, pull it across the back of the braid to the left side and go under the strand there. <br>4. Now take the next left strand (that you just passed the first strand under) and weave it to the right. Then, pull it across the back and under the left side strand. <br>The braid will begin to form a round, rope-like shape. <br>5. Continue weaving the left strands to the right, across the back and under the left strand.<br><br>You begin with two pieces of cord the same length, crossed in the middle to give you the four strands needed. You can make the thing as long as you want, mine usually end up around three inches when done. I have never measured the starting length, and it has been so long I just don't remember...If nothing else it gives you something to do in the evenings...<br>

#7233 - 07/03/02 06:19 PM Re: emergency paracord for keychain carry
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Here is a better site...<br><br>http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/3375/braid.html

#7234 - 07/08/02 07:30 PM Re: emergency paracord for keychain carry
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
You can make a lanyard like the lifeguards use to wear their whistles. Start with a round braid. When you get twice the lenth you want to end with, loop the working end back over a few inches from the beginning a weave a square braid with the beginning round braid end inside the square braid. You usually see this done with plastic craft strips and the square braid can slid up and down so one can adjust the loop. But with other material, the square braid doesn't slide.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 466 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.