Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#718 - 05/17/01 12:41 AM lighting : )
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have no clue on how to make a torch. i live in high desert (plenty of vegetation) and ive tried so many ways to make a torch and all have failed except wraping a shirt around a stick dipping it in motoroil and burning it.... but that is cheating i want to know how to make a torch with natural /desert\ materials. if not desert materials how bout pine and poplar materials? <br> <br><br>

#719 - 05/17/01 02:41 AM Re: lighting : )
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

WSK, Are we talking the classic "storm Frankenstien castle"torches?The two natural materials in your area are pine pitch and animal fats.In actual practice most native peoples would avoid torches.It destroys night vision and alerts game or adversaries to your presence.I have excavated numerous small fatlamps in archaeological sites.These are usually a nonconductive stone such as steatite or soapstone.these were the 'minimags' of their time.If we all went out into even an abundant area utilizing natural materials,it would quickly be denuded.What may look like a dead stick to us may be a vital part of some animals existence,ie packrat middens.This is why we carry all this 'stuff'.A common tinder in the western desert you SOULD burn are the ever present cowpies.You can find a stick,make cordage from yucca leaves and wrap it tightly into a huge match.<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.