Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#7162 - 06/26/02 10:36 PM My new mini-PSK
zoltan Offline

Loc: Poland
I've finally found a right container for my PSK and assembled it - it was a quick job, I used only stuff I found in my desk drawers, so it obviously lacks some things. Here is a list - any comments? Suggestions?<br><br>--- signaling ---<br>- interior of lid is polished and protected with an aluminium foil<br><br>--- emergency devices --- <br>- large scalpel (8 cm (>3"), sterilized) - I think that even Doug would rate that one 'excellent' <br>- matches with striker (about 30)<br>- a stick of fireplace tinder, about 1x1x4 cm (0.5x0.5x1.5"), with matchhead on the end<br>- sewing kit (3 needles, thread)<br>- 9 safety pins<br>- 3 small nails<br>- few metres of fishing line, 2 fish hooks, sinker (see below)<br><br>--- miscellaneous ---<br>- 5 m of cordage<br>- 2 sheets of paper, 8x8 cm (more than 3x3")<br>- small pencil (sharpened)<br>- duct tape, about 1 m (3')<br>- garbage bag, kitchen size<br>- metal tin, 9x6x2.5 cm (3.5x2.5x1")<br><br>(my units conversion may not be very acurate)<br><br>The fishing kit is too small for real use - but it's just a small PSK, not for carry in the real wildernes, I'm not going to fish with it anyway - I've just dropped the hooks because they take almost no space.<br><br>There's still some space in the tin - I'm going to add:<br>- button compass<br>- some kind of water disinfectant - I think it's the most serious fault of my kit<br>- more fishing line - it has more uses than just fishing<br>Maybe I'll manage to put another garbage bag inside.

#7163 - 06/27/02 01:30 PM Re: My new mini-PSK
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
What type of metal tin did you find.<br><br>Ted Fisher<br>Vermilion County Search and Rescue

#7164 - 06/27/02 03:55 PM Re: My new mini-PSK
zoltan Offline

Loc: Poland
It's a candy tin, similar to Altoids. Candys are very rarely sold in tins in my country, I've been to some big shops and couldn't find the right tin - and yesterday I accidentally found one on a gas station It's just the right size for the mini-kit - small enough to be carried all the time, large enough to fit all the necessities to supplement my EDC (knife, Leatherman, lighter, flashlight, duct tape, very basic first aid). I'll keep playing with it to see how much I can put inside.

#7165 - 06/27/02 07:00 PM Re: My new mini-PSK
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
Antiquing last weekend (wife...), I happened across a very small Victorinox tin. It appears to have been a gift type box for their little Classic knife, 3.75x 2.4x .75 inches. The lid presses on and has rolled edges on the lid. Smaller than Altoids and only holds what complements my EDC.<br><br>EDC=<br><br>Folding knife du jour<br>Orange Leatherman Juice<br>Bandamnanna<br>Watch<br>Surefire E2 elite.<br><br>Key chain:<br><br>Uncle Bill's tweezers<br>Suunto compass<br>Cut down mini-Fox40<br>Photon III (field testing)<br>Done Right Mag-flint<br><br>Victorinox box urban kit:<br>8 lb test, 20'<br>10 trout hooks<br>2 EZ awl needles<br>3 small safety pins<br>1 small vial w/ 25 Potable Aqua<br>2 small ferrocerium flints, 2"x 1/8"<br>5 sparklite tenders<br>4 Aleve<br>2 Benadryl<br>4 Bonine<br>2 Immodium<br>2 foils, Bacitracin- zinc.<br>2 fabric bandaids<br>25'- 30 lb. test braided fishing line<br>12' 26ga stainless wire<br>$20 bill, $5 bill, $1 bill<br>sealed by a ranger band around the edge and 2 hold it shut.<br><br>No water container, in an urban or even east- coast rural, finding an emergency water container should be easy. I would like to hear of a case where an otherwise intelligent and prepared person died because he didn't have a waterbottle, ziploc or condom!<br>Besides, I'll usually have a water bottle, mug, or cup in my hand or near me anyway. Other than that- I also have water containers, not to mention trashbags in my Breifcase, Truck, office desk, etc. I usually have small rolls of duct tape and 12' to 25' lengths of paracord scattered around also.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.