The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#71505 - 08/18/06 04:58 PM Re: Gear for young children
lifeview Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Nashville,TN USA
It is on our website. Gretchen came up with the idea some years ago when her kids were young. She made a bright orange vest and put a small knife, some matches and tender,an energy bar, a lightstick, a whistle and a cut down all-weather blanket in it. She emphasizes that she taught her children safe knife and fire paractices early on.
The kids had to wear the vest anytime they were away from the camp site.
A Cylume lightstick, also known as a chemstick, cost about two dollars each and provide light for 8-12 hours. Simply remove the foil wrapper, crack the bend the stick in the middle and shake. They're a good back-up to a flashlight.

#71506 - 08/18/06 05:21 PM Re: Gear for young children
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
If buying them outside of a box, shake them to make sure they haven't been snapped by some kid having some fun in the aisle of the store. I've been burned buying "used" glowsticks that were still in the foil. But if you listen you can hear the inner vial rattling usually.

#71507 - 08/18/06 05:59 PM Re: Gear for young children
lifeview Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Nashville,TN USA
Thanks for the advice on checking for used glow sticks. I would not have thought of that.

#71508 - 08/18/06 06:38 PM Re: Gear for young children
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
IMO if it hasn't been mentioned yet.
Add a roll of survey tape to the list for ea. pack.
Then instruct ea. user if lost or hurt to tie one end of the tape to a tree/branch/rock/object then string out the entire roll of tape in a straight line accross a terrain feature then sit down and wait. Many times searchers will walk very close to someone without seeing them because the victim was asleep/ scared/ or hurt . The tape works 24/7 and someone
will bump into 150ft. of tape at some point if they are lookiing anywhere near your area. If you use silver mylar garden tape they might even be able to see it flashing from the air.

What I am suggesting by saying string it out accross a terrain feature is to lay the tape at right angles to any natrual direction of travel. I.E. accross a trail or start at waters edge and string the tape directly away from the shore line. Do not parallel a trail or water flow. <><

Edited by frediver (08/18/06 06:41 PM)

#71509 - 08/18/06 06:53 PM Re: Gear for young children
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
redflare,

you can find info on 4h here: http://www.4husa.org/

#71510 - 08/18/06 06:59 PM Re: Gear for young children
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Aloha Ors,

The family picture is a great idea! I find that I learn something new every day too, whether I want to or not.

My girls, 2 & 5, have already been initiated into using a knife (not a sharp one) and making fire.

They help in cutting vegetables which usually doen't require a knife to be too sharp, so we let them use a stiff butterknife with little not too sharp serations. And we talk about knife safety.

My five year old has been watching me make fire for about two years and the two year old about one. The first thing they were taught was not to start a fire without the means to put it out at hand. Then they watch and learn and help me with the tnder bundle.

I hope the other dads will get involved. A couple of the other dads go hiking with us and some of them are not real involved at all, which is a shame.

#71511 - 08/18/06 07:09 PM Re: Gear for young children
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Lifeview,

I picked the LED shakelights because they won't run out of juice so long as the child can shake it. Plus the shaking gives them something to do to occupy their minds. And they are pretty darn bright.

We do use orange mesh reflective vests when we go for night time walks, but the need to be tied to fit a kid properly. For hiking, I thought a small unencumbering bag would more appropriate because it is HOT in Hawaii and the trails get extra hot and humid.

#71512 - 08/18/06 07:32 PM Re: Gear for young children
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Aloha thseng,

I already bought a pocket knife for my five year old, but my better judgement says not to give it to her, so I haven't as it is razor shapr. I am content to let her and her sister practice with the butter knives for now.

#71513 - 08/19/06 05:15 AM Re: Gear for young children
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"...as with everything that kids find fascinating, knives and fire being high up on the list, teach them early, teach them right."

That is so true that it's pathetic that so many parents don't understand that concept. They have a knee-jerk reaction to things that are "dangerous": Keep them safe. Don't let them touch matches, lighters, knives, climb trees. But they'll sure put them in a mini quad and turn them loose!

I used to work with a woman whose husband was determined that their son would know how to shoot and learn gun safety and care. Three days a week, they would go down the road to the local shooting club and burn some powder. It didn't take long before the boy lost interest: "Aw, do I HAVE to go shooting? I want to ride my bike over to the park with Dave... "

Sue

#71514 - 08/19/06 01:11 PM Re: Gear for young children
Kuovonne Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, TX
Hi,

What is the purpose of the gear? Constant carry when hiking / camping? EDC? Gear for use when the grown-ups go missing? Make them carry regular stuff so you don't have to?
Anyway, here are some of my thoughts for additional gear:
  • an id card of sorts with name, address, phone, parents names, etc. You could put the info on the back of the laminated family photo. For most grownups the equivalent would be a driver's license.
  • a colorful bandana
  • a plastic ziplock type bag
  • let the girls personalize / decorate the waist pack some way to make it easy for them to identify their own, as long as their names are not clearly visible on the outside.

Thoughts for activities:
  • swimming?
  • storytelling / making up stories together
  • singing songs
  • plant / animal identification
  • map reading (various types)
  • intro to foods outside their normal cuisine (real foods, not eating bugs here)
  • memory and observation building type games

Of course, my experience is with children younger that 5, so this stuff might be a bit simplistic for them.

-Kuovonne

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.