Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#7125 - 06/26/02 01:42 AM Re: shotgun for home/self- defense (re:ade) (From
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Andy,<br><br>Yeah, what you and John said...<br><br>Discussion, not disagreement: Handguns work well for us. A M1911A1 with 2 spare magazines on one side and a .44 Special with two speedloaders on the other side. Other impliments are also at hand. But we are very experienced with all manner of personal firearms and have an especial affinity for those two pieces, respectively. The 44 Spl would be marginal if it were not stoked with some especial handloads - and with those handloads, the pistol is entirely, ridiculously, too lightweight for anyone but it's little owner (I hate shooting it, but that's an opinion thing - it IS accurate in either of our hands). I'd like to switch her to a M1911 (hands not big enough for an A1), but I learned not to press her on that - she likes what she uses. <sigh><br><br>But given my druthers: Rem 870s all around. Mine is smooth enough to inertially operate one-handed (27 year old WingMaster). And there are rare occasions when one is stowed in easy reach - not because of threat, but because of risk. Wife formerly prefered a modern side-by-side 12 gauge, but she "graduated" to 870s years ago.<br><br>Your points are good. Robb should go with what he thinks is over-all best for his circumstances.<br><br>Good drills, BTW.<br><br>Tom

#7126 - 06/26/02 02:09 AM Re: shotgun for home/self- defense (re:ade) (From
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Whatever you choose, I must quote the great nimrod Elmer Fudd " be vewy,vewy quiet" about it's presence. There is no need to advertise to either burglars ( firearms are a high theft item) or nieghbors who may be hostile to the idea or like to chit chat. Input of our prosecutor and retired CHIP should be interesting. Overpenetration in urban environs is a serious concern. I like a humble .38 converted to double action only. I load the old 200 grain super police. It is fast, accurate and relatively safe around young hands that try to pull that heavier triggerpull.

#7127 - 06/26/02 02:13 AM Re: shotgun for home/self- defense (re:ade) (From
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Tom,<br><br>It'd be a lot easier to dislike you if you weren't so darned easy to get along with.....:)<br><br>For what it's worth I own a shotgun, and have considered it's HD potential. If my safe room was my bedroom, it would be there, loaded/chamber-empty. Given that my safe-room is the kid's room, I have a handgun. That is, I would have a handgun AND a shotgun, not just the shotgun.<br><br>My "house gun" is a S+W 4006, I like the retention features (manual safety and magazine disconnect safety), the effectivness of the cartridge, and the ammo capacity (LE only magazines, don't ask). If I have to respond to a threat in the middle of the night, I may not have time to grab extra magazines. It isn't match accurate, but will do for I bought it for. I keep thinking about hanging a Sure-fire light on the gun, but I've never been able to make up my mind. <br><br>As much as I like the Smith for a house gun, it wasn't what I carry when out and about. I won't offend your 1911 sensibilities by telling you about my tupperware 9mm :)<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy<br><br><br><br>

#7128 - 06/26/02 12:58 PM Re: shotgun for home/self- defense (re:ade) (From
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Ade wrote in the Survival Forum<br>>>>The smaller factor is also important when investigating that noise which may or may not be an intruder, and turns out to be an intoxicated neighbor trying to get into "his" house. Don't laugh, this has happened to me twice --bad neighbor I suppose-- <<<<br><br>I wonder if you had the intimidating shotgun in his face the first time if there ever would have been a second time!

#7129 - 06/26/02 08:42 PM Re: shotgun for home/self- defense (re:ade) (From
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Bill,<br><br>I doubt it, this guy was several years into the "drinking himself to death" process. His only saving graces were that he was a quiet drunk and always took a cab.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#7130 - 06/27/02 12:48 AM Re: shotgun for home/self- defense (re:ade) (From
PeterR Offline

Loc: Wollongong [ 34.25S 150.52E ] ...
A fascinating thread [ on the main forum ]. Those of us who don't have a constitutional right to bear arms [ ie, from Commonwealth countries like Australia/NZ ] can only enjoy the discussion from the sidelines so to speak. <br>But it was certainly a wise statement that if you have weapons in the house, you had better be prepared to use them to deadly effect, or don't have them at all.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.