Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#70803 - 08/07/06 09:23 PM Hand-crank rechargeable flashlight/alarm
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
My wife and I went to the Calgary Stampede last month and we bought a couple of LED flashlights with a handcranked rechargeable battery. I had earlier bought a couple of these at Costco (about a month earlier - first time I had ever seen them, so they must be fairly new on the market) but the ones we bought at the stampede also have a DC output jack and came with a cable and connectors so you can use the flashlight to recharge your cellphone. (Each flashlight - we bought two - comes standard with both a Motorola connector and a Samsung connector.)

It's about 1"x2"x4", has 5 LED lights and three switches. One switch lights the centre LED, one switch lights two of the other LEDs (so you can have one, two, or three LEDs lit); the third switch causes all five LEDs to flash and emits a piercing alarm. There's no brand-name on it (unless it's the word "Flicker") but there is a web-site (www.noveltyimports-inc.com).

Anyone know anything about these devices? They seemed like a real useful addition to our survival gear.

#70804 - 08/10/06 06:55 PM Re: Hand-crank rechargeable flashlight/alarm
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I don't know that specific product. It sounds like it has a lot of moving parts, and also a battery which will eventually fail. For emergency lighting it's probably better to get a normal LED torch and put a lithium battery in it. That should have a shelf life of 10 or 15 years.

#70805 - 08/13/06 02:06 AM Re: Hand-crank rechargeable flashlight/alarm
rodmeister Offline

Loc: ca
I almost bought one at Costco. I would be a useful adjunt to your conventional flashlight gear only. Rechargable batteries have a limited service life, say five years and you could find yourself in a fix if you depended on the device. A lithium powered light would be superior as an emergency light unless the need was extended where the recharge ability of the device would prevail. I'd feel better with both.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.