Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#708 - 05/16/01 02:11 AM lightning
Todd Offline
newbie member

Loc: oh
Did anyone with a six year old child watch the "Wild Thornberries" last night? (05-14-01) In that episode, Eliza and her grandfather were hiking up Mount Fuji. There was a thunderstorm coming and Eliza was concerned about lightning so she turned on her portable radio so she would be alerted when lightning was about to strike. Static or something (not the National Weather Service) clued her into this. Any truth to it?<br><br>

#709 - 05/16/01 04:06 AM Re: lightning
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Radio static? thats a new one on me! Sounds like my Hollywierd writer friends! If I was on a mountain with a thunderstorm approaching a rapid descent would be first priority.The traditional signs of a coming strike are of course thunder,counting the interval to visible lightning to determine proximity,the smell of ozone and feeling your hair stand up.Lying down in the lowest natural depression is the best immediate course of action.Seeking shelter under tall trees is asking for it! As for carrying a radio,that would get a determined toss! More than one victim has been struck INSIDE a residence operating electrical appliances(checking weather as I type this).I mentioned in an earlier post of friends caught on mount Whitney.They found a rock shelter,deployed a metalized space blanket and were struck.The rock shelter was an Iron rich formation.Welcome home from your hike.How did your dog fare?<br><br>

#710 - 05/16/01 02:22 PM Re: lightning
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know about using a radio as a lightning warning device, but I have noticed that a lightning strike produces a burst of static on AM frequencies (doesn't seem to work on FM). I really don't see how this would help you avoid being struck, unless it also produces some kind of static signature before the actual strike (I have never noticed this, maybe because I have never been struck by lightning while listening to an AM radio). Avoiding holding a long whip antenna in a storm would be advised.<br><br>

#711 - 05/16/01 06:29 PM Re: lightning
NAro Offline
Addict

Chris,<br> Is there some controversy about your recommendation to lay down in a shallow depression if possible? I've been hearing some advice to mimimize actual contact with the ground by "hunkering down" rather than sitting down or lying down. <br> I prefer to run screaming in ever widening circles....<br><br>

#712 - 05/16/01 07:59 PM Re: lightning
Anonymous
Unregistered

One time I and my Grandfather were watching a toronado cut accross north western Missouri from a high vantage point on the Kansas side of the Missouri river. A lightening bolt struck the ground right in front of us with no noticable delay between the flash and boom. We about tore ourselves in half trying to get to the house. He fell down first then I tripped over him, then we both tried climbing over one another and fell down again. I never tried so hard to jump though my own tale end just to get turned around.<br>We must have been a sight. We still laugh about it now and then.<br>Just thought this was a humerous story to pass along. <br><br>Ranger.<br>The older I get, The better I was.

#713 - 05/16/01 09:13 PM Re: lightning
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Your correct,thanks for catching a hurried post!Squatting down will reduce your electrical 'signature' and grounding. I was aloft servicing my cutter's antannae-radar array with an electronics mate in the Pacific outrunning a Typhoon.We spotted a seaspout approaching, secured below moments before a massive lightning strike knocked out most of our aging electronics.When we returned aloft,there was a smouldering mess and scorched paint along the waterline! <br><br>

#714 - 05/17/01 12:15 AM Re: lightning
Anonymous
Unregistered

I prefer to run screaming in ever widening circles....<br><br>lol! That was the best advice I've heard all day! <br><br>

#715 - 05/17/01 12:27 AM Re: lightning
Anonymous
Unregistered

i hear the best thing to do is get a long metal rod and find the highest point and stand on it holding up the rod. it works for about .006 seconds before lighting strikes it. just kidding. heres some information--<br>a lightning bolt can be 4-5 miles long. for aproaching thunderstorms counting the second's between flash and thunder clap will tell u how far away it is (in miles per second) Do not hudle together in a group during a lightning storm (504 sheep died hudeling together during a thunder storm) dont run moving air currents might attract an electrical strike. if in the open, crouch very low and insulate your self from the ground with s back pack (with no metal) or a rain jacket, sleeping bag, ect. the purpose is to prevent the current from ground to travel through your body to attempt to reach the lightning discharge. keep your hands off the ground escpessially if its humid. the barometric preasure will drop rapidly before a storm. thats all i know hope it helped.<br><br>

#716 - 05/17/01 01:57 AM Re: lightning
Todd Offline
newbie member

Loc: oh
It's good to be back, had a blast. Sabot (dog) is doing great, no fleas, ticks, or worms. I got a tick, though! Thanks for asking. Water filter worked well too, apparently!<br><br>

#717 - 05/17/01 02:43 AM Re: lightning
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Todd,Im not sure where you are,but be familiar with the signs of tick borne Lyme disease!<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.