Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#70690 - 08/06/06 01:29 PM Quick Review: DR Hands-Free Multilight
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just received my DR Multilight from AeroMedix. I'm very pleased. I like the idea of the higher visibility yellow-banded case. The need to turn the lens to turn it on means it won't unintentionally be activated when packed tight in a kit (like a Pulsar keychain lights). Nice positive detents to hold the adjusted angle.

The beam is a spotlight (little sidespill), mostly white light with a slightly bluish tint typical of the led used. I usually prefer floodlights to spotlights, but I can see where it would be nice to focus as much of the light as possible forward when trying to navigate through unfamiliar surroundings. The spot is larger than the original Inova X1 I have, the one with the optics as opposed to the reflector. The spot seems large enough to illuminate whatever one may be working with the hands, though I haven't tried this yet.

I bought the light to pack into a PSK. I can appreciate the utility of having both a clip and the headband, but I might eliminate one or the other to save space (probably the clip). It looks as though the clip can be disassembled, the protruding hinge halves filed off, then the two flat pieces glued together to save some fraction of a cubic inch.

All in all, a very nice light and worth the price.

Failed to mention: Compactness was my overriding concern, so the use of a coin-cell battery in this case doesn't bother me. Else, I've standardized on AAs. Also, and Doug might have mentioned this, but the battery can be replaced by simply unscrewing the lens.

Edited by BreathingMeat (08/06/06 03:11 PM)

#70691 - 08/06/06 02:49 PM Re: Quick Review: DR Hands-Free Multilight
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks for the review. I'm considering one on the two is one, one is none principle.

My current headlamp is a Princeton Tec EOS which has very good reach if you use the high setting, but has huge runtime on low; for most things I do with a headlamp the light is very useable on the low setting. Most importantly, it uses AAA batteries that are relatively cheap and easy to find and can also use lithium or NiMH AAA's.

What I'd really like to see is a headlamp that used a single AA and a single 5mm LED with no lens, similar to the Gerber Infinity Ultra -- fully regulated and waterproof/dunkable.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 433 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.