Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#69009 - 07/14/06 04:20 AM CB? Walkie Talkies. Any suggestions?
Equipped4Chicago Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chicago
Hello,

I was at a sports store today and saw many on clearance. Mostly Motorola.

I would basically want to use it when I go camping? Any suggestions? Or a website that does ratings?

P.S I have started to build my EDC and PSK. Everything based on THIS FORUM. So I thank EVERYONE for their fine support and suggestions. And thank Mr Ritter also for this fine site.

#69010 - 07/14/06 05:12 AM Re: CB? Walkie Talkies. Any suggestions?
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
Chicago,

You were probably seeing the Motorola branded GMRS and FRS handheld radios. If they have 22 channels with PL, or private line codes, then they are the GMRS/FRS combo radios. GMRS allows for up to a 10 mile range depending upon multiple variables. You need a license for GMRS, which can be done on-line through FCC.gov The FCC charges $80 USD for the license and you cannot use certain frequencies along the Canadian border due to potential harmful interference. For more information on these units try www.gmrs.org and www.frs.org I hope this helps.

Stargazer

#69011 - 07/14/06 02:25 PM Re: CB? Walkie Talkies. Any suggestions?
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You probably found the FRS/GRS radios, a lot of times they get labeled as CB's.
I just bought a new one for my truck, Cobra 25, it was a little smaller than the popular cobra 29's and has NOAA weather monitoring as well.
I'm going to pick up a handheld for camping and hunting and such.

#69012 - 07/14/06 03:16 PM Re: CB? Walkie Talkies. Any suggestions?
NYC2SoCal Offline
dedicated member

I like the motorola units.. Before buying, I would double check to make sure that they can take ordinary AA or AAA batteries. Some of the units now only do a proprietory rechargeable.. The rechargeable is fine for everyday use, but it's always better to be able to use regular batteries in emergencies.

#69013 - 07/14/06 04:02 PM Re: CB? Walkie Talkies. Any suggestions?
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Get a longer range model -- 8,10, 12 or 14 mile. These ratings are optimistic and drop off with interference from trees, buildings, etc. A belt clip and charger are nice festures.

TRO

#69014 - 07/14/06 04:41 PM Re: CB? Walkie Talkies. Any suggestions?
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Unfortunately many folks are not getting the GMRS license from the FCC and using the "blister pack" radios from their local electronics aisle anyway. Plus, many manufacturers are marketing them as "FRS / GMRS" radios. (I think eventually we will see the GMRS license requirement go away, similar to what happened with the MURS VHF frequencies after radio makers flooded the market with cheap models.)

Something else to consider is eventually going for your ham radio license. The ARRL has a good section for new folks:

http://www.arrl.org/

#69015 - 07/14/06 08:01 PM Re: CB? Walkie Talkies. Any suggestions?
Woodsloafer Offline

Loc: Upstate NewYork
When CB radio was introduced in the early sixties, an FCC license with an assigned call sign, was required. (Still have mine.)
When the CB boom hit, the feds finally gave up and eliminated the license requirement.

"There is nothing so frightening as ignorance in action."

#69016 - 07/15/06 12:36 AM Re: CB? Walkie Talkies. Any suggestions?
Duke Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Harlan KY
Let me make a suggestion that's just slightly off topic. Get your amateur radio license. I promise you it isnt that difficult, and you would have a more reliable, or at least more likely, audience on the other end in case something dire occured, whether it was an individual incident, such as running out of gasoline, or something more pervasive. See arrl.org for how to proceed. KI4OBM Or send me a private email and I will help you. Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with the advice previously posted regarding the CB's. And I have nothing against these other modes of communication, by the way. Greg

#69017 - 07/15/06 01:02 AM Re: CB? Walkie Talkies. Any suggestions?
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
It's hard to find a pure FRS (Family Radio Service) radio anymore, but they're 14 channels (or less) and 1/2 watt (or less). No license requirement at all.

The most common is the combination FRS/GMRS radio with 22 channels and up to 5 watts. Though a license is technically required for GMRS, I have never heard of it being enforced. They're a great value these days. Make sure to get ones with the full five watts (many have less). I like ones that take AA or AAA batteries rather than rechargables. The hard-to-find feature I look for are ones with real on-off switches, like a volume knob that doubles as the on-off. Those actually disconnect all power when they're off. The ones that have push-button on-off switches have some little microprocessor running all the time, so they'll slowly kill their batteries.

Ham radio is a reasonably good option. It can get expensive, but you've got the ultimate flexibility.

#69018 - 07/17/06 12:20 PM Re: CB? Walkie Talkies. Any suggestions?
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
And with Ham radio, if you buy the RIGHT radios, you can have a GMRS/Ham radio - the trick to this is to get a GMRS approved radio that can go into the ham band - NOT the other way around. Easiest way is to use commercial grade radios (aka things like GE/Erricson/Ma-com MPAs or MRKs or Motorola Sabres etc) - right now, they can be had cheap
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 207 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.