Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#6891 - 06/09/02 05:51 PM Poor man's emergency shelter
zoltan Offline

Loc: Poland
I've always liked the versatility of heavy-duty garbage bags - I have used it as a raingear, emergency waterproofing, to sit on, to cover things and to many other tasks. I have some in my car, in my backpack when hiking, on the boat when sailing. Today I tried to put in into a pocket-size PSK - and after an hour of folding and squizing air it still occupied 3/4 of a container. Then I came up the idea of making a pocket emergency shelter. I put the garbage bag into a small zip-lock bag. I also took a small matchbox (ordinary matches - but it's just a backup for my normal firestarting), put a small scalpel, paperclip and some pins inside, wrapped the box with duct tape and then with a few meters of thin cordage. And - here it is. The ultimate pocket shelter for 25 cents . The package fits easilly into the jeans rear pocket and weighs next to nothing.<br><br>I've also made another package - just a bag, cordage and duct tape in a slightly larger zip-lock bag for non-emergency uses (it would be difficult to pack my the emergency version back - I managed to pack it very tightly, also I wanted something that doesn't look as "survival gear" too much). I'm going to test that one as soon as I go outside of the developed area (I would rather not to test a garbage bag shelter in a city...). In the emergency, I could use the unused sealed one - or both.<br><br>Maybe it's not much, but I feel better prepared with this - and I made it virtually for free! During cold/wet/windy weather, I would feel safier with it then with a typical PSK. Do you have any comments or sugestions? Any ways to improve it? (I think about adding some aluminium foil to the emergency pack - to use as a heat reflector)

#6892 - 06/10/02 12:32 PM Re: Poor man's emergency shelter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why the paper clips?<br><br>I carry my garbage bags in sandwhich/quart size ziplocks. I throw in a pack of matches, a bandanna, and a piece of folded alumninum foil. You could add a 4x4 guaze pad and put several wraps of duct tape around the ziplock.

#6893 - 06/10/02 01:13 PM Re: Poor man's emergency shelter
zoltan Offline

Loc: Poland
> Why the paper clips?<br><br>I like them. In their original shape, they are useful to, well, clip things together. Unfolded, they can be used to punch holes, as a hook to pull something out, etc. As I live/learn/work in a places with lots of paperclips, I got used to them as multi-purpose items. Perhaps safety pins could do the same plus some more - I don't know, I carry both.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 506 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.