Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#684 - 05/11/01 01:56 AM Survivalisim??
Anonymous
Unregistered

DEAR DOUG.<br> <br> IM SORRY FOR POSTING "SURVIVALISIM" POSTS. I DIDNT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SURVIVALISIM AND SURVIVAL. TO ME THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE.<br>sur·viv·al (sr-vvl) <br> 1.<br> a.The act or process of surviving. <br> b.The fact of having survived. <br> 2.Something, such as an ancient custom or belief, that has survived. <br>i found no match for survivalisim. please tell me what it means<br>because to me planning survival is survivalisim.<br>buying survival kits is planning survival which is survivalisim.<br><br> I mean not to anger you doug but that is all i know about that please tell me what the difference between survival and survivalisim. Thank you,<br> Rhawn Fischer Age 14<br><br>

#685 - 05/11/01 02:26 AM Re: Survivalisim??
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Survivalism is a catchword for a current political-social viewpoint.Survivalists foresee a general collapse of our current society via internal/external political forces,catastrophic environmental destruction etc.There is a certain perceived element of paranoia,anti-government hostility,racism and general disenfranchisement.The recent militia movement is one example.There is certainly nothing wrong with precautionary preparation.But in all movements there are numerous agendas of various extremity.The Oklahoma bombing is the current example.Again,'Survival' deals with issues of individual or small groups unexpectently put into situations without the normal social supports of society;forced landings of aircraft in wilderness areas,ship sinkings,getting trapped in sudden weather shifts etc. All the travails Mother Nature can throw at us.No black helicopters,men in black or invasion from the Duchy of Fenwick. <br><br>

#686 - 05/12/01 04:15 AM Re: Survivalisim??
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Rhawn,<br><br>Now you know there is a difference. <br><br>A few decades ago, a survivalist was someone who was interested in the tools and methods used to survive in an emergency. More recently the term has been usurped by the popular media to describe individuals and groups that foresee the breakdown of civilization, nuclear war and other such unlikely (though not impossible) holocausts, and who often, though not always, have very extremist political views. Thus we have an example of how dynamic language is, meanings change as society changes.<br><br>While there are those who participate here that are concerned about the ills of society and how it might affect their own and civilization's long term survival, we don't deal with those issues here. We deal with the tools used to survive conventional emergency and survival situations, which just so happen to often be the same tools and techniques these modern "survivalists" are interested in for their own purposes. There's a lot of cross-pollination, as it were, between the groups.<br><br><br><br>Doug Ritter<br>Editor<br>Equipped To Survive
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#687 - 05/12/01 08:09 PM Re: Survivalisim??
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
I have been stopping by here for some months, but I didn't have much to add so I didn't sign up. Now I do have something to add, and it is - Doug, thanks for stepping in and reminding us what this forum is all about!<br><br>The survival/survivalist difference is clear - survival preparedness means getting through an emergency long enough to return to civilization (that is, help). Survivalism means the emergency is permanent (that is, there is no civilization and no help - you're on your own). Being prepared is second nature to me (I was an Eagle Scout); planning for the end of civilized society is not (As an architect, the Apocalypse would be rather bad for business....).<br><br>Doug, this is the best darn site on the Web!<br><br> ......CLIFF<br><br><br>

#688 - 05/12/01 08:35 PM Re: Survivalisim??
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Cliff,<br><br>First off, thanks much for your compliments. Helps make it all worthwhile. Thanks also for that succinct explanation of the difference between survival and survivalism. Nicely put.<br><br>BTW, your forum registration with password bounced back, so send me an **email** to dritter@equipped.org and I will forward it to you. Probably a hiccup or a typo in your email address.<br><br><br><br>Doug Ritter<br>Editor<br>Equipped To Survive
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#689 - 05/13/01 03:44 AM Re: Survivalisim??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok did i menchin i was uhh 14 lol went a little to far with the politics got me lost and gave me a head ache. i get the difference now and sorry again. :(<br><br>

#690 - 05/13/01 04:22 PM To survive or not to survive..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Doug,<br> Maybe it is just me, I could be paranoid and confused, but I have noticed an increase in natural disasters like tornados, floods, fires, and earthquakes in the last several years. I lived through the floods of the mighty Mississippi twice in the 90's, Traveled to Northern Florida in 1995 with Home Depot and the Red Cross disaster teams and the one most striking observation that I made was the absolute LACK of preparation of the people we came in contact with.<br> It was amazing that for the most part, homes and businesses were still standing but were flooded or had windows blown out. Few, if any, of people we came in contact with had the three day/ 72 hour package recomended by FEMA much less having any drinking water. <br> There are those here that probably like to brand me as a "Survivalist" for some of my postings here. I keep a 3 day 'emergency' kit in my vehicles, a 15 day 'emergency' kit at work, and a one year 'emergency' kit at my home. For those that need to be reminded an emergency is not just severe weather or earthquakes. Webster defines emergency as; n. unforeseen circumstances calling for urgent action. Maybe I am the only one who has lost a job, or had to be out of work due to an injury or the injury or illness of a family member, how about the death of a member or primary bread winner in a family. Are these not emergencies? A hundred years ago there was not a Kroger, Publix, Winn Dixie, or Safeway on every corner. If you wanted to continue eating(i.e. living) you raised what you ate and you visited town and the general store for supplies a couple of times a year. I doubt that many of the people reading this could honestly say that they could live for 10 days or more on what is in their pantry. Last year in the Atlanta area, we had an Ice storm that lasted for 3 days. It would thaw during the day and refreeze at night for over a week. Travel was very difficult and dangerous. I live in the country and drive 35 miles one way to work but somehow I made it in every day on time, although I did stay at work all three days that were really bad. My three day kit in my truck and the 15 day stockpile at work fed eight of us and fed us good for the three days. Some of those seven other people made fun of Mikey's mini-mart as it was called before but now many of them keep extras around for "emergencies".<br> If a "survivalist" is someone who prepares for all events that could possibly take place then that is what I am. But if a "survivalist" is someone like the m-ass media describes like chicken little, well, thats not me. Survivalism is not a disease like some have written here. I think it is a like state of readiness. It is short sighted to believe no matter what disaster hits that life will resume shortly. If you do talk to those who survived Hurricane Andrew or the floods of the Mississippi basin you might get a different perspective. <br><br><br>Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. <br>—Thomas Jefferson <br>

#691 - 05/13/01 04:42 PM Re: To survive or not to survive..
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Barracuda,<br><br>By the current definition of "survivalist" you don't qualify. You are interested in being prepared for the normal short term emergencies that befall us on occasion, more so if you live in some areas. <br><br>I have seen no data to suggest that there has been any significant increase in frequency of natural disasters. What has changed is that modern communications and the intense competition for our eyes and ears by the media has brought whatever does occur more immediately and prominently and much more intensely to our attention. What may have barely rated a couple paragraphs in a newspaper a few decades ago will now garner live coverage from a bevy of news outlets as they try to out hype each other. Thus, our perceptions are skewed. This is exactly the same thing that has occurred with regard to school violence. The fact is that school violence and fatalities are way down from a decade ago, but because of media coverage, most people are convinced that there has been an explosion of such incidents. However, don't get me going on that subject...this isn't the appropriate forum. :-)<br><br>As much as many of us may not like the word being usurped, "survivalist" has been and it now has extreme negative conotations.<br><br><br><br>Doug Ritter<br>Editor<br>Equipped To Survive
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#692 - 05/13/01 04:46 PM Re: To survive or not to survive..
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Dear Ranger and Barracuda,If you found my observations hurtfull I apologize.Again,I made the observation that Survivalism is 'perceived' by many to imply various extreme views.My closest friend is a arch conservative survivalist. I am a treehugging lefty.We both were fired from Home Depot for being honest.Just because a woman has the equipment for prostitution shouldn't impy she is one.There is a whole orchestra online for our needs.Please,lets keep this violin in tune with it's stated design.Fitting liferafts into pocket tins is more fun than this increasing rancor.<br><br>

#693 - 05/13/01 05:08 PM Re: To survive or not to survive..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris, thank you for taking the time to write.<br>I believe in your right to have and voice your opinion.<br>I constantly run into people who lump me in with other people who do not share my philosophy. I feel obligated to set strait, the record.<br>You have helped me with questions before and I appreciate it.<br>As far as I am concerned, case closed, done and forgotten, hatchet buried.<br>Take care<br><br>Ranger.<br>The older I get, The better I was.

#694 - 05/13/01 10:58 PM Re: To survive or not to survive..
lostinthewoods Offline
newbie member

Loc: U.S.A. A.Z. prescott valley
THANK YOU Barracuda I agree 100% :)<br><br>wwwaaaaaasssssssssuuuuuuppppppp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.