The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6792 - 06/08/02 07:58 AM Re: Scouts
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Andy,<br><br>The No. 1 Rule for all new scouters or parents of new scouts is never to believe the time estimates of grizzled, old, borderline-senile scouters: First, because the times are a fraction of the actual time involved; and second, & more important, because they have too much fun laughing about it (Tom: NYI, nyi, nuh, Nyi, nya.) ;-}}<br><br>The No. 2 Rule is to give as much time as you possibly can. It really will be well invested: First, your son will enjoy himself & learn. Second, he will grow into a well-developed, well-rounded man. You'll be able to help & watch # 1 & 2 happen. Third, you'll have a blast doing it. You'll never regret the time you spend with & on your family; only the time you spend away from them.<br><br>The No. 3 Rule is to listen to old, grizzled, veteran scouters, especially Tom, on all matters aside from their exasperating time jokes.<br><br>I'd say more, but I'm still learning. And that in itself raises another point, as I think Bill suggested: Take advantage of the adult leader classes. You'll learn a lot about the nominal subject matter of the class, but also the development & handling of children. In addition to BSA classes, I also learned a lot about that in NRA instructor & coach classes.<br><br>Best wishes for both of you.<br><br>John<br><br>

#6793 - 06/10/02 01:48 PM Re: Scouts
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
>>>First, your son will enjoy himself & learn. Second, he will grow into a well-developed, well-rounded man. You'll be able to help & watch # 1 & 2 happen.<<<<br><br>I have to add that this facet really caught me by surprise. There have ben moments when you can actually see the transformation take place. Amazing.<br><br>Then there are moments that are truly priceless. On my son'f first night at his first summer camp, he camme to my tent around 2:00 a.m., sniffling with tears in eyes, that he wanted to go home. About a half-hour later, after siting on a couple of nearby tree stumps in my skivies, he agreed that it was best to stay. After a week of having a wonderful time, he appeared at my tent Friday night (Sat. a.m.). He said, "Dad. I can't stop crying and I can't figure out why." I calmed him down and he went back to bed. <br><br>Early the next morning, as we made our way to the waterfront together (he only needed his clothed inflation for Swimming merit badge and I agreed to go in the lake with him before breakfast to complete it - it was D**M cold!), he said he figured out wht he was crying. It was becasue he didn't want to leave. <br><br>I have since seen similar transformations for many first time summer camp scouts. One mother came up to me at the meeting following summer camp last year and said, "I don't know what you guys did, but my son came home a different boy. Thank you so much."<br><br>Yesterday, one of our troop's scouts headed off to work on staff for the first time. I warned his folks that they may not recognize him when he comes home! I hope my son decides to work at summer camp next year. I know his mom will be reluctant to let him go for the whole summer. But I know he will come home better prepared for life as an adult.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.