Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6782 - 06/06/02 01:28 AM Scouts
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Bill and Tom and others I can't remember,<br><br><br><br>Rather than repeat this multiple times, I have chosen to post it. If anyone knows how to send a PM to multiple people at once let me know.<br><br>I finally got my son into the Boy Scouts. Soccer season is over and he finally decided to go. Following the advice of Tom and Bill, I found a local troop and off we went. The first meeting this past Monday went well. He knew some of the boys in the troop already, and to my surprise and delight, actually enjoyed learning to tie knots. The scoutmaster was a Godsend. He has been in scouts, in one way or another, since 1956. He gladly suffered/entertained the questions of both myself and my son, and patiently, but firmly herded 15 rowdy kids, and assorted parental units through a meeting and made sure they all learned something. My son was issued a piece of rope, a handbook, and a BSA hotspark. I was issued paperwork to fill out, and was easily talked into becoming an adult volunteer.<br><br>On a side note, my son and I experimented with the hotspark. I achieved success quickly (neat little gadget), but the boy had problems. We have worked on it every night, and tonight, finally, after the boy's idiot father finally figured out that eleven years olds have soft hands, and practicing on concrete was painful to him....my boy MADE FIRE!!!!!! ER, ER, grunt, grunt, ah, ah, ohhhhh. I think I was happier than he was, and he was pretty happy.<br><br>I hope he sticks with it. Thanks again to Tom and Bill.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy (still Wednesday)

#6783 - 06/06/02 02:16 AM Re: Scouts
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Andy,<br><br>Boy, are you going to have fun! Just remember to think like an 11 year old... that's a stretch for me, as I seem to be stuck at about 9 or 10, but...<br><br><< If anyone knows how to send a PM to multiple people at once let me know. >><br><br>Er, use our regular email addresses?<br><br>PM follows.<br><br>Be Prepared!<br><br>Tom

Edited by AyersTG (06/06/02 03:18 AM)

#6784 - 06/06/02 02:26 AM Re: Scouts
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Peter Pan was right!

#6785 - 06/06/02 03:20 AM Re: Scouts
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Yep!

#6786 - 06/06/02 01:05 PM Re: Scouts
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Outstanding!<br><br>>>> ... to my surprise and delight, actually enjoyed learning to tie knots. <<<<br><br>Don't underestimate the power of accomplishment and what it can do to boost self-conifidence. I have seen it time-and-time again in many kids faces. Learning knots and lashings, starting fires, learning clothes inflation for swimming merit badge, etc. Not only are these accomplishments a great set of tools they will carry for life, but the process of learning and adventure and self-reliance are equally important.<br><br>>>>The scoutmaster was a Godsend ... 15 rowdy kids<<<<br><br>That's a relatively small troop, which has it's advantages and disadvantages. On the plus side, your small and flexible, and coordinating outings and advancement is easier. On the negative side, it makes it harder to be a "boy run" troop. It's too easy for the adults to jump in and set things right. The biggest accomplishment of scouting is developing leadership in boys. If you have a decent age spread in the troop. this will help as the older boys can mentor the younger ones.<br><br>>>> ...and was easily talked into becoming an adult volunteer.<br><br>Excellent! You'll be surprised on how much you'll end up learning too. I encourage you to take advantage of the training your Districy and Council have to offer. It takes an investment in time, but it's worth it, especially since you were not a scout as a youth (that's correct, isn't it?). View the Fast Start video tape ASAP and attend District Roundtables if you can. Then in the fall or next spring, sign up for Basic Training (formerly Scoutmaster Fundimentals). This will give you a solid foundation to help out the troop. Then later, after your a bit more comfortable with the program, consider Wood Badge, a more extensive raing program that requires several weekends of camping.<br><br>>>> ...I hope he sticks with it. <br><br>I have a feeling that he willl, especially since he's starting out on the right foot. I still remember my first day as a scout. We went on a five mile hike, I started my first fire with a single match and cooked my lunch on it!<br><br>Feel free to email me any questions.

#6787 - 06/06/02 09:35 PM Re: Scouts
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Bill,<br><br>Actually, the troop has about 40+ boys from what I understood. There were only 15 present at our first meeting--baseball, from what I understand...<br><br>I was a scout for all of two weeks. I wish I had stuck with it, but the week after I started (about age 13-14 IIRC), I also met my first girlfriend...do the math.<br><br>I was easily talked into because I had every intention of doing it before we got there. I plan on being as involved as they will let me be.<br><br>More later. LONG, VERY BAD day.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Not Andy

#6788 - 06/07/02 06:27 AM Re: Scouts
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Andy,<br><br>Congratulations! You will probably enjoy it at least as much as your son. The other suggestions re adult leader training are sound. The BSA courses will help guide you as you spend increasing amounts of time with your son in the outdoors, as well as in many indoor activities. A common problem is the desire in each parent to step in and help when the boys may need to learn how to work things out for themselves. The classes will help illuminate those areas. Scounting provides a great opportuninty & structure for boys to experience the outdoors, learn, and grow into young men.<br><br>You may also find that Scouting entails a significant commitment of time. But it is a good investment. It integrates very well with other child-rearing duties. It is also an opportunity to spend a lot of time doing exactly the same activities as your son. That means that you can help & watch as grow up. And most importantly, it allows you to make sure that he is doing the kinds of things that he should and avoiding things he shouldn't be doing.<br><br>Good luck & God bless,<br><br>John

#6789 - 06/07/02 01:08 PM Re: Scouts
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
>>>I also met my first girlfriend...<br><br>We always lose scouts to one of the "fumes," either perfume or gas fumes. Both of which require a part-time job for cash.

#6790 - 06/07/02 01:26 PM Re: Scouts
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

John,<br><br><< You may also find that Scouting entails a significant commitment of time >> - What??? You mean you haven't heard that "It only takes an hour a week."??? hahahahahahahahaha

#6791 - 06/08/02 12:24 AM Re: Scouts
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

John,<br><br>Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. As you may have read, my experience with scouting consists of two dimly remembered weeks long ago and far away...any suggestions/reccomendations are welcome.<br><br>Thanks again and take care,<br><br>Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.