Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6717 - 06/05/02 06:44 AM Re: Could you survive for 4 weeks on your PSK?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris,<br>I read your article (Lessons Learned So Near, Yet So Far). That was interesting I am glad you made it out okay. I did not fare so well. I myself was in an ordeal 3 years ago; I lost 27 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks and went through a brutal experience. Ignorance carries a high price. Survival is an interesting experience all it means is if you live through the trauma you will have to deal with the consequences of your actions for the rest of your life. <br>Said another way. It is better to lose a finger than a hand, a hand rather than an arm!! <br><br>I don’t know what else to say Chris. I did not come here to argue with you, you appear to be one of the good guys, so I will be on my way.<br><br>

#6718 - 06/05/02 11:56 AM Re: Could you survive for 4 weeks on your PSK?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It would be a worse case scenario situation. Do you think the PSK could hold up as is? Because if it cannot hold up than what would you do different.

#6719 - 06/05/02 01:08 PM Re: Could you survive for 4 weeks on your PSK?
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
First you will have to worry about your water supplies. Than about exposure and than food. All of the above will have to be obtainded in the different way depending on your location. Place were you are stranded will provide you with everything you need assuming that you know how to benefit from the environment. You basic kit would provide you with all necessities such as fire (assuming there is wood) or food(river/forrest animals). The thing is that you mentioned Arctic regions where obtaining food or warmth will be very hard, or desert where water is almost non existant. Also the other issue that you have to thing about is your main goal. Is it trying to survive (just existance) or is there a point (location) that you are trying to reach. I don't think that PSK alone would be sufficient to survive for four weeks but give me my jacket and tell me to stuff my pockets with everything I can and my survival chances will skyrocket.

#6720 - 06/05/02 01:12 PM Re: Could you survive for 4 weeks on your PSK?
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I would like to learn more of your ordeal, the good decisions you made and the mistakes. 2.5 weeks is quite an extended period of time, a length that would sorely test folks under ideal conditions.

#6721 - 06/05/02 01:43 PM Re: Could you survive for 4 weeks on your PSK?
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I do not think the “kit” is the total be all answer to a survival situation. Knowledge, by far is the most important tool one carries all the time. I am sure many people buy “survival kits” thinking the kit in it self would save them. Many of these individuals may not even know what is really in the kit or how the items may be used or adapted for various purposes. I am not suggesting for a moment a minimalist approach, trust me I carry an enormous amount of the items commonly discussed on this site. Most, granted not all survival situations are in the 24-72 hr. range. In addition to the standard shelter, fire, water, food priorities, my next main goal would be attracting attention; this is what is going to get me rescued. Pete

#6722 - 06/05/02 03:56 PM Re: Could you survive for 4 weeks on your PSK?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

WHOA! My tongue in cheek reply was not directed at you at all! Your entry posed interesting questions. I was merely kicking at the pre concieved assumption a PSK will only do so much, for so long, for this much.

#6723 - 06/05/02 05:05 PM Re: Could you survive for 4 weeks on your PSK?
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
Yes, to MCSE guy, We all from time to time word things that can easily be mis-construed as a personal jibe. This happens because we become comfortable communicating on these boards to a degree we let our personalities come through, which are not always easy to interpret writing. You will understand that Chris is the head dude around these parts and is the one who keeps things on an even keel (a fitting pun!) Welcome, and please stay. We are always looking for good questions and good answers equally. Signed, The other Andy.

#6724 - 06/05/02 06:00 PM Re: Could you survive for 4 weeks on your PSK?
Anonymous
Unregistered

By the 3rd day I'd be out of cigarettes<br>and would be forced to Swim,walk,force march,<br>crawl,paddle,snowshoe,dogsled,hanglide,swing<br>from vine to vine to the nearest 7-11<br>(smile)<br><br>JBL

#6725 - 06/05/02 07:18 PM Re: Could you survive for 4 weeks on your PSK?
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I'm a bit surprised by the general trepidation expressed by some of the posts. I'll admit that most, myself included, have never been subjected to the rigors of a true survival situation so we must answer with a modicum degree of humility and error on the side of caution.<br><br>Still, I have to beleive that most, if not all of us on the forum, would likely survive 4 weks in the wild provided the conditions were not too extreem (desert or arctic) and barring severe personal injury. After all, the PSK is justa set of tools to support the most import tool we all carry, our brains. Even the most inexerienced of us should have learned enough from this forum and our other experiences to make enough "right" choices and avoid serious "wrong" choices to last 4 weeks. If not, them perhaps it's time to reexamine what you put in your PSK.<br><br>I know we slamed the TV "Survivor" show as being basically inane. But even those inept, unskilled soap apera wanna-be's lasted 4 weeks. Granted, they had meager rations and evac helocopters on call, but they basically did very little to "survive." Most of use would at least be able to do as well as them, and I hope we'd actually do a bit better than them.<br><br>Perhaps I'm looking at a glass half full.<br><br>But this does drive home an important point. All of the forum emails and catalog orders won't help one iota if we do not practice the skills. I have practiced using bits and pieces of my kit, setting fire to a couple of tinder tabs from Park-Rite, for example. But I haven't strung then together in a realistic setting and I should.<br><br>I displayed the contents of my unassembled PSK to the boys in our scout troop last January and issue a challenge to them. I encouraged them to persue Wilderness Survival merit badge at camp this summer. One of the requirements is to build a shelter and spend one night in it. I told them that I would do the same if they did. I tok a quick poll a two weeks ago and about a half dozen scouts are still planning on doing it. So I'll be out there too. I know it's only on night, but its a start. Perhaps I'll organize a survival theme weekend campout for the "survivors" where we set out with only our fanny packs and PSKs. Again, not too stressfull, but it will start to build on the summer camp experience.

#6726 - 06/05/02 09:53 PM Re: Could you survive for 4 weeks on your PSK?
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

<br><br>You guys are making me look bad.<br><br>First: Chris and Don point out that will to live counts for more than equipment...I didn't say that I would roll up and die. I assumed a worst case scenario--stranded on a desert isle/ plane crash in the Klondike, that sort of thing. I was quoting the odds. If uninjured, and assuming adequate clothing, I could walk to safety from my usual stamping grounds in less than a week, even the places that I go to to get away from everyone. Most places probably only hours.<br><br>Second: Andy, you don't have to be "other." I'll start going by what my wife and friends call me....er, nope, this is a family forum. You might have to be the "other" Andy after all. smile Maybe we can trade off. I'll take it Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. You take Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We'll alternate Thursdays.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy ( It is Wednesday, right?)

Edited by Ade (06/05/02 10:03 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.