Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#6699 - 06/04/02 05:12 PM Human Nature
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not sure how relevant this is but I have to share it.<br><br>Last weekend my wife and I were in a boarding area at Orlando airport awaiting our flight home from vacation.<br><br>While we were sitting there a scuffle broke out at another gate about 200 or so feet away. The source of the commotion was the airport police trying to subdue a passenger who was putting up a fight. <br><br>As I watched this occur from a distance (after determining that we were only a few feet from the emergency exit) I was amazed to see the number of people walking over to gawk. When the crowd grew to the point where we could no longer see what was happening all I could think of was "gee, if this guy has a bomb this would probably be the time he would want to set it off." It just amazed me that despite the high level of awareness we are supposed to have these days how common sense seemed to go out the window for the sake of viewing a spectacle.<br><br>In this case, the guy was eventually taken out to the tarmac and driven away but I kept thinking how easily the outcome could have been different. Even if he didn't have a weapon he could have broken away and lashed out at the first bystander he met.<br><br><br>Chris<br><br>

#6700 - 06/05/02 12:10 AM Re: Human Nature
Anonymous
Unregistered

It never ceases to amaze me just how stupid humans actually are!

#6701 - 06/05/02 12:05 PM Re: Human Nature
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Well that goes for everything not only fight at the airport as originally mentioned but also for burning car on the side of the road or similar accidents. But lately after Sep 11 I looked closer at my friends and realized that they gained this attitude which says "bring it on I don't care anymore I will make it out". We all worked in WTC 2 and the minute the building got hit we were on the 46th floor. We were under the building when it collapsed barely making it out. So right now when we go somewhere, fly over or drive our awareness increases, we want to be informed and know what’s going on regardless of our safety. Why we want to be informed? Well when we were on the emergency stairs going down we had a friendly atmosphere, helping others out to the point of stopping the line in order to accommodate others. We all did it. We all made way for Fire Department, we all chilled and joked. If we knew or were better informed that evacuation could have been carried much more efficient. Maybe not a whole lot would be saved maybe it wouldn't change much but even if one more person made out of the WTC alive that would mean that one more family is now complete. The new attitude among coworkers can be called "cocky" or "vigilante" but the bottom line is that we want to be in control of the situation. Army experience, all the outdoor trips we make every weekend became something more than cool stories to share or brag about. It all became a learning ground “just in case”. And when scuffle breaks out I surly want to be there because you never know if that’s not another guy wanting to light his shoes on fire. Am I Paranoid? No just careful and preventive.

#6702 - 06/05/02 01:44 PM Re: Human Nature
Anonymous
Unregistered

My compassion goes to you. And it sounds like lots of people doing the best they could. But "running to see if it's a bomb just makes no sense." As a nurse in Florida, I had many patients with snake bites. (pigmy rattlers are common there) "Well," I'd say, "How'd you get bit by a snake?" "Well," they'd answer, "I seen this thing look like a pigmy rattler so I bent down and pick it up." Well, when I see something looks like a poisonous snake, I don'd run over to check it our. I move away from it. I've spent the majority of my life in the woods. I have never been bitten by a poisonous snake.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.