Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#66984 - 06/03/06 03:44 AM Re: Ozark Trail brand tent or Coleman?
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Walmart does more business with the People's Republic of China than France. True- Wallyworld, if counted as a nation, would be the ChiCom's 5th largest trading partner, as of 2000. The way things were looking then, they might be the 4th by now.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#66985 - 06/04/06 01:19 AM Re: Ozark Trail brand tent or Coleman?
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
I'd have to echo what you've heard here, go with the Coleman tent. I have found their gear to be a little heavy, but, well constructed for the money. If you're going to spend a lot of money for lightweight, high quality backpacking gear, you can find better equipment, but, you're paying a real premium.
I'm assuming when you say "family camping", you're talking about basically tailgating, right? Drive up to the site, empty out half the house from the back of the SUV?

We have a big Coleman family tent that we call "the condo". It's for when my wife comes camping with us. We've had it for over 10 years now. It doesn't get real heavy use, but, multiple trips a year certainly. Still sheds the rain fine and keeps the bugs out. Do make sure you seal the seams of your new tent. That's something people forget, until the first rainstorm.

My son and I mostly do backpacking, so we opt for smaller, lighter gear. I like my Sierra Designs 2-man for backpacking, although we also have one of Coleman's eXponent line of tents that's suitable for backpacking, and is really pretty competitive with far more expensive models from MSR, North Face, etc. We recommend all sorts of Coleman gear to the new scouts joining the troop. (And the Coleman outlet gives Scouts and Scouters 20% off their gear when you show your BSA card. (even off sale prices!)

Have fun camping!

- Ron

#276453 - 08/31/15 04:05 PM Re: Ozark Trail brand tent or Coleman? [Re: Ors]
mharrison Offline
Stranger

Loc: UT - Utah
Here's a couple of reviews on the Instant Tents made by Coleman and Ozark Trail. Overall the Ozark Trail is much better quality and is more weather resistant. Coleman usually makes a decent product but they really missed the mark with their instant tents.

http://www.tent-reviews.com/ozark-trail/ozark-trail-8-person-instant-cabin-tent-review/

http://www.tent-reviews.com/coleman/coleman-instant-tent-6-review/

#276456 - 08/31/15 05:23 PM Re: Ozark Trail brand tent or Coleman? [Re: mharrison]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Welcome to ETS Mharrison

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#276459 - 08/31/15 05:57 PM Re: Ozark Trail brand tent or Coleman? [Re: Be_Prepared]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: Be_Prepared
I'd have to echo what you've heard here, go with the Coleman tent. I have found their gear to be a little heavy, but, well constructed for the money. If you're going to spend a lot of money for lightweight, high quality backpacking gear, you can find better equipment, but, you're paying a real premium.
I'm assuming when you say "family camping", you're talking about basically tailgating, right? Drive up to the site, empty out half the house from the back of the SUV?

We have a big Coleman family tent that we call "the condo". It's for when my wife comes camping with us. We've had it for over 10 years now. It doesn't get real heavy use, but, multiple trips a year certainly. Still sheds the rain fine and keeps the bugs out.

Exactly what I had to say about our almost 15 years old huge 3 room 10 person Coleman tent experience. Still kicking perfectly! Very comfy, made to last.

#276462 - 08/31/15 06:54 PM Re: Ozark Trail brand tent or Coleman? [Re: mharrison]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: mharrison
Here's a couple of reviews on the Instant Tents made by Coleman and Ozark Trail. Overall the Ozark Trail is much better quality and is more weather resistant. Coleman usually makes a decent product but they really missed the mark with their instant tents.

Nice. Necro a 9 year old thread for blog spam purposes...

Mods notified.

John Lubbock

#276463 - 08/31/15 07:33 PM Re: Ozark Trail brand tent or Coleman? [Re: Teslinhiker]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Wow! I didn't noticed it's from 2006! laugh

#276465 - 08/31/15 07:50 PM Re: Ozark Trail brand tent or Coleman? [Re: Ors]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
This doesn't appear to be in violation of our rules; the links do not appear to me to be commercial advertisements. This is "thread necromancy" but that's not against any rule I'm aware of.

chaosmagnet

#276466 - 08/31/15 07:57 PM Re: Ozark Trail brand tent or Coleman? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
This doesn't appear to be in violation of our rules; the links do not appear to me to be commercial advertisements. This is "thread necromancy" but that's not against any rule I'm aware of.

chaosmagnet

The reason I reported it as spam is because many of the reviews on their website have affiliate links to various other sites...That to me is hidden commercial advertisement. Regardless, you have the final veto on the matter smile

Edited by chaosmagnet (08/31/15 07:59 PM)
Edit Reason: humorous typo not meeting ETS standards

John Lubbock

#276467 - 08/31/15 08:01 PM Re: Ozark Trail brand tent or Coleman? [Re: Ors]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
You make a good point. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt for now; if all he contributes here are links to his site I'll step in.

chaosmagnet

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.