Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#276471 - 08/31/15 11:33 PM Re: Ozark Trail brand tent or Coleman? [Re: chaosmagnet]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, for my two cents, I would not buy a tent from either brand unless it was for camping the back yard, in ideal weather, and not too far from the back door...

I bought a coleman instant dome 6 at the wife's request earlier this year. Heavy, leaked in the rain, lots of condensation when it didn't rain. But it worked okay. Plenty of room, and went up quick. For a fairweather tent it will do. I guess I got my money's worth, more or less.

#276472 - 09/01/15 12:51 AM Re: Ozark Trail brand tent or Coleman? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
This doesn't appear to be in violation of our rules; the links do not appear to me to be commercial advertisements. This is "thread necromancy" but that's not against any rule I'm aware of.

chaosmagnet

Yeah, we're watching.
-Blast, fading back into the background.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#276473 - 09/01/15 03:25 AM Re: Ozark Trail brand tent or Coleman? [Re: Ors]
mharrison Offline
Stranger

Loc: UT - Utah
Hey guys, I'm obviously new to the forum. I've been building a tent review resource that I'm proud of and want to share my info with other enthusiasts. If it's not for this forum I'll politely leave. Happy Trails!

#276475 - 09/01/15 03:38 AM Re: Ozark Trail brand tent or Coleman? [Re: Ors]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Spammers have been something of a plague on the ETS Forums and it's understandable that people would be suspicious of a new member posting links. I don't think you broke any rules. I hope you'll choose to stick around.

chaosmagnet

#276484 - 09/01/15 04:11 PM Re: Ozark Trail brand tent or Coleman? [Re: benjammin]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Well, for my two cents, I would not buy a tent from either brand unless it was for camping the back yard, in ideal weather, and not too far from the back door...

I bought a coleman instant dome 6 at the wife's request earlier this year. Heavy, leaked in the rain, lots of condensation when it didn't rain. But it worked okay. Plenty of room, and went up quick. For a fairweather tent it will do. I guess I got my money's worth, more or less.

I purchased one of these for a trip to South Dakota (Custer State Park). I used it for a week, we had one rainstorm (very short), but I had the rainfly on so I was spared. I think it's a "decent" tent, but it's very heavy. It's not a backpackers tent by any means.

I trust Coleman to give me something that meets the minimum requirements. I've given up being "wowed" by them a long, long time ago.

#276486 - 09/01/15 04:30 PM Re: Ozark Trail brand tent or Coleman? [Re: RNewcomb]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If I am not mistaken, the poles in both of these tents are fiberglass/plastic or some such stuff - a sure sign of mediocrity. Better tents will have aluminum poles, among other features.

Backyard use is about right.

#276487 - 09/01/15 06:25 PM Re: Ozark Trail brand tent or Coleman? [Re: Ors]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
Do those of you with the really large family camping tents find it more difficult to locate a suitable leveled spot to put it up? Sometimes I have a bit of trouble finding a good spot even for my smaller tents.

With a family, I think I'd rather have two smaller tents than one jumbo, multi-room tent anyway. It would give the parents some space, older kids some privacy, and little kids a bit of on-their-own adventure. It's also less hassle when the whole crew isn't going.

My wife and I have used a Coleman brand tent for several years when car-camping. It's easy enough to erect or strike, roomy enough for full airbeds and dogs, and nothing has ever torn, ripped or broken on it. The only problem was that the original stuffsack was way too small to ever get the tent back in once removed for the first time. Also, the tent never seen a serious rain or wind storm, and I have enough doubts about it to always bring along a small mountaineering tent, just in case.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.