Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6667 - 06/02/02 06:27 PM dumb shows-but
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Survival, frontier family and their genre' have one redeeming grace. Somewhere, somebody watches and remembers getting stranded with a disabled car or similar misadventure. They go online, search "survival" and buy a tin of peppermint Altoids that afternoon at the deli ;O)

#6668 - 06/02/02 06:50 PM Re: Speaking of a tin of peppermint altoids
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris:<br>I purchased a threepack of Altoids at the local wally world and it came with a complimentary 4th TINY tin of altoids. I had never seen this before. I am going to send it to you Chris. I am really going to be interested in what kind of survival kit you will be able to get in that. Watch the mail (sending % ETS).

#6669 - 06/02/02 07:28 PM Re: Speaking of a tin of peppermint altoids
Anonymous
Unregistered

The altoids tins we get over here are about 9cm by 6cm, err about 3 and a half inches by 2 and a quarter. I find it OK for firelighting stuff but imagine that you guys in the US get a bigger version, am I right?<br><br>After posting this I did a search of the archives and found that you get exactly the same size tin we do, I'm impressed that you get so much stuff in them, compared with the tobacco tins which are a lot bigger.<br><br>Justin

Edited by JustinTime (06/02/02 08:05 PM)

#6670 - 06/02/02 07:37 PM Re: Speaking of a tin of peppermint altoids
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Is it small enough to swallow? I don't want some Idaho separatist survivalist interrogating me with a patriot's SKS!

#6671 - 06/03/02 02:24 AM Re: Speaking of a tin of peppermint altoids
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Robb,<br><br>I'm sure that Chris will come up with something better for the tiny tin, but have used one for awhile to carry around prescription meds (I've had a bad three weeks: I sprained my shoulder two weeks ago-don't try to catch a full wire cart when it falls off of the forklift. I threw out my back last week picking up a BUNGEE CORD--required hospitalization; DO NOT twist and bend at the same time, your spine will thank you. And just today I was back in the emergency room getting stitches--I broke a glass washing dishes). It keeps the pills from being crushed, and fits easily and comfortably into any pocket. <br><br>I've toyed with the idea of throwing survival stuff in there. A vial of potable aqua, a mini-fishing kit, a sparklite and some tinders will probably fit in it. I think a button compass MIGHT fit also; if I ever get one I'll let you know. The tin with the above mentioned stuff, and my EDC (extensive, as I have lots of pockets, and working construction, no dress code. My EDC was bad to begin with, got worse when I joined the forum, and gets even worse whenever Tom Ayers makes a post) easily exceed what I can carry alone in a Altoids tin based PSK. And...since it fits into a pocket so easily, I'm more likely to have it.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

Edited by Ade (06/03/02 02:51 AM)

#6672 - 06/03/02 04:42 AM Re: Speaking of a tin of peppermint altoids
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Andy,<br><br>Gadzooks! Want me to drive out and shoot you? Seems like that would be kinder than what you're doing to yourself...<br><br>I think I posted this before, but: Those tiny tins are nifty for carrying cottonball-based tinder. Can use them to make/carry char in also, but those are pretty small pieces of char - about .22 cal cleaning patch size.<br><br>Regards, Tom

#6673 - 06/03/02 08:44 PM Re: Speaking of a tin of peppermint altoids
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Tom,<br><br>You're more than welcome to drive down. I'll put you up for the night and my wife will feed you (we're having fried chicken tonight --yummy!!!). Please hold off on shooting me; I made it through the whole day so far without hurting myself. I want to see if I can go the whole week.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy<br>

#6674 - 06/04/02 01:20 AM Re: Speaking of a tin of peppermint altoids
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not sure why you guys have to carry all that stuff around in the first place. I wear my button compass on my neck with a teeny weeny swiss knife. It's amazing what you can do with a 1" knife and a 1" scissors.

#6675 - 06/04/02 06:34 AM Re: Speaking of a tin of peppermint altoids
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah<br>but think of all that stuff in your handbag! ;-)<br><br>Justin

#6676 - 06/04/02 12:03 PM Re: Speaking of a tin of peppermint altoids
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Well there is a mega size industrial pack of altoids that is about 1.5 inch deep, 9 inches long and 5 wide. This is being sold in the price clubs. I see them less and less becasue people can't carry them around as with small tins. But at one point every secretary had a "mega" tin on her desk smile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.