Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#6579 - 05/30/02 01:02 AM You must bend the rules to survive, but...
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have occasionally had discussed the necessity to bend the rules to survive --like not worrying about having a fishing license when you are starving to death--so I thought of you all when I read this:<br><br>One day there was a man who was walking through the forest and got lost. He wandered around for over a week, and was beginning to starve.<br><br>He spotted a Bald Eagle who had just caught a fish and chased it, hoping to get it to drop the fish so he could eat it. Then he saw the bird land on a tree stump not far from him, so he picked up a stone to toss at it--hoping the bird would be frightened and fly away without the fish. But, weak as he was, his aim was off and he hit the poor bird square on the head, and killing it.<br><br>"Well," he thought to himself, "no sense letting it go to waste, if I leave it here it will just rot, and it could save my life if I eat it."<br><br>So, he built himself a little fire--using a couple of stones- -and cooked the eagle to eat. While it was cooking a ranger stumbled upon the man, and when he saw what he was up to, he immediately arrested him--because as you know, that is quite illegal!<br><br>The man told the ranger what had happened, and asked for a trial so he could explain the situation to a judge.<br><br>So, the day of his trial he told the judge, "Please your Honor, it was a life or death situation! I was lost and starving, and I didn't mean to harm the bird--I only wanted the fish! And when I accidentally killed it, well, I felt terrible but couldn't see any reason to let it go to waste!"<br><br>The judge listened to the man's story and deemed him, "Not guilty, on the grounds of extenuating circumstances."<br><br>The man was very grateful, and thanked the judge for his fairness.<br><br>Then, the judge leaned over and quietly asked the man, "Just between you and me, what DOES a Bald Eagle taste like anyway??"<br><br>The man comtemplated this for a moment and then spoke, "Well, it's kind of hard to explain... but, I would say somewhere between a California Condor and a Spotted Owl."<br><br>Be CAREFUL with your explanation!!!<br><br>Robb

#6580 - 05/30/02 04:17 AM Re: You must bend the rules to survive, but...
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Robb, Thats a classic joke but always good for the retelling. Now, for a real example: I was at a EARTH FIRST! gathering. I was catching it for wearing leather cowboy boots ( and returning fire about the proliferation of sweat shop tennis shoes.)This led to a dizzying debate of vegetarianism, veganism, fruitarianism, macrobiotic and free range chicken ranching. My "Noble Savage-Native American ( hey , Im a PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.)" partner arrrived with huge, dripping parcels wrapped in white paper." Who wants to help me cook up this fresh buffalo meat my grandfather shot inMontana?" The sudden proliferation of Omnivores was amazing! " well, it's like, you know, like taking communion to the first peoples,you know? So it's ,you know, polite and O.K. to do, you know?"

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 414 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.