Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#6573 - 05/29/02 07:14 PM What to take for skiing?
zoltan Offline

Loc: Poland
I'm not going to use this knowledge until December, but it won't hurt to ask now <br><br>Small group of adults and almost-adults goes skiing. The terrain is quite civilized so there won't be real survival situation - just "uncomfortable" one. The question is: what are the threats and what should I take to avoid them? Here you have my thoughts - can you tell me what have I forgotten about?<br><br>I'm the only one of the group who cares about being prepared, other would make fun of it, so I would rather minimize the odd stuff (fortunately, skiing jacket has lots of pockets for the gear). BTW, Leatherman is not odd, people around me already know that I carry it everywear (and I'm helpful with it: "Anobody got a screwdriver? Or a knife? Or a nail file?" "All of them, which one would be best?").<br><br><br><br>Dangers:<br>1) Equipment problems<br>Propability: almost certain<br><br>I once lost a day of skiing because of a lose screw in sunglasses (I only have a few minutes way down and I was almost blind at the end!) Other guy, other year, had to go down on one ski - again, a screw problem. I whish I had my Leatherman then...<br><br>2) Weather breakdown <br>Propability: high<br><br>By a breakdown I mean very low temperature, strong wind, massive snowing or blizzard, dense fog. Already came through something like that - fortunately it wasn't enough to kill us - but enough to kill the joy.<br><br>3) Skiing accident<br>Propability: medium<br><br>It never happened to me or somebody from my group, but it's quite possible. Fortunately, rescue team would be there in a few minutes. I think that securing a broken limb to a ski or a pole would be enough (or maybe it's better to leave it untouched if professional help would be there so quickly?)<br><br>4) Lost at the slope<br>Propability: low<br><br>Almost impossible during good weather, hard even in bad weather - the slope shows the direction. We also been in this place many times.<br><br>5) Avalanch<br>Propability: low<br><br>In my cuuntry, mountain rescuers are paranoid about avalanches - if there's a slight danger, the lifts are closed and there are big red signs, blinking lights, etc. For many years, nobody was taken by an avalanch without entering the forbidden area.<br><br>BTW, how do you like the story? Last year a group of tourists was taken by the avalanch on the closed track. They passed by several signs saying that there's a highest possible level of avalanch danger and all the tracks in the area are closed. The rescue team arrived quickly and was taken by a second avalanch - several rescuers were killed. Some of the tourists survived - maybe stoning them in a public place wouldn't be a bad idea...<br><br><br>6) Skilift accident<br>Propability: very low<br><br>I guess there's not much one could do when a cable car falls. A lift or a T-bar? There would be many wounds and broken bones. It would take some time to evacuate all the casaulties, so first aid and protection from the weather would be important.<br><br><br>And now for the gear:<br><br> signaling group<br>- cellphones - the more the better (propably everybody will wear one)<br>- skiing clothes are very bright and visible from long distance - especially on the snow - not much need for additional optical signaling<br>- whistle? I think I'll take one, though it falls into "odd" category<br><br> emergency devices<br>- Leatherman Wave - I have this toy for just a few weeks and I love it<br>- a flashlight, spare baterries<br>- firestarting? I don't think it would be necessary, but I'll take a cigarette lighter out of a habit. We have a smoker, so we'll even have a redundancy here <br>- money - the ultimate emergency device for civilized areas<br>- map, maybe compass<br><br> shelter/personal protection<br>- a spare scarf - a multi-purpose bandanna for cold weather - can be used to cover a face (or any part of he body that gets too cold), secure a broken limb, etc. <br>- spare gloves - light woolen ones, when I wear heavy skiing gloves and vice versa<br>- spare eyewear - sunglasses, when I wear goggles and vice versa <br>- a polar jacket if it's warm (if it's cold, it would be already on me and there's quite unlikely that it would get much colder). <br><br><br> water and food<br>- some water or soda<br>- some food - sandwiches, bars, chocolate, etc. <br>Both items are luxury, not emergency - there would be a lot of drinkable water around (snow)<br><br> medical<br>I'm not sure what should I take here. Nothing? A basic first aid kit? A M.A.S.H.?<br><br> miscellaneous<br>- notepad, pencil<br>- the stuff that we always carry in our pockets: duct tape, cordage, safety pins, Super Glue or similar glue (BTW, how does it stands the low temperature?), garbage bag, tissues. Anything special?

#6574 - 05/29/02 07:52 PM Re: What to take for skiing?
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
When assembling gear, always go over THE checklist:<br><br>1. Shelter<br>2. Potable water<br>3. Fire<br>4. Food<br><br>5. First aid<br>6. Signal/ communication<br>7. Direction/ navigation<br><br>Think about what you have and make sure you can cover these bases. I have found that my daily gear changes, well, daily! When you are on vacation, you get out of your routine and you may (will) find that some of your earlier plans and gear choices are inappropriate. Go over the list before you leave the door. This way your kit can be flexible with you.<br><br>For skiing, this would be my minimum kit, scattered around my ski jacket in zippered pockets:<br><br>Knife: Victorinox trailmaster and Spyderco Delica<br>Whistle: Fox 40<br>Signal mirror: Starflash<br>Compass and map: Silva 7 and general resort map in ziploc.<br>Sunbloc: small tube on lanyard around collar.<br>Bandanna: 2, red.<br>Trashbag: 55 gal, 4 mil thick<br>Binding tool or Leatherman<br>fire kit: mini Bic, military match, innertube scrap, 0000 steel wool, petro-cotton.<br>Flashlights: Photon or eq., Surefire Executive E2 elite.<br>1L platypus, 2 ft heavy tinfoil, potable aqua<br>Garmin vista GPS b/c I'm a gear geek<br>pocket medic pouch: Aleve, neosporin, fabric bandaids, bandaid wash towel (read: lidocaine!) benadryl, immodium, spare chapstick<br>10' contractor duct tape<br>25' paracord<br>spare shades!<br>

#6575 - 05/29/02 10:02 PM Re: What to take for skiing?
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Zoltan,<br><br>Since ski equipment malfunction is a high probabily scenario, I would make sure I had the proper screwdriver bit in my Leatherman Screwdriver Adapter (my ski bindings use Torex screws), spare screws and some shim material to make the new screws bite into the ski (I carry steel wool and epoxy), and some good wire. I also carry a few nylon cable ties long enough to repair boots, bindings and ski tips etc.<br><br>I backcounty ski only so always wear an avalance beacon (as do ALL my ski mates), avalance probe ski poles and snow shovel. I think the shovel is essential, for both rescue and emergency shelter. You may not need in a developed area, and is sure to get lots of comments.<br><br>Have a good trip.

#6576 - 05/29/02 10:26 PM Re: What to take for skiing?
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
I agree... Backcountry skiing is a whole 'nuther ball of wax. In that scenario, I'll have a ruck with avalanche and rescue gear not to mention a bivy and stove.

#6577 - 05/30/02 02:22 AM Re: What to take for skiing?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Zoltan, go to the survival links and look at Colorado Firstrax. It is a site dedicated to skiing and emergency preparations. I take issue with some of the gear recommendations, but it does a good job addressing the potential problems.

#6578 - 05/30/02 10:41 AM Re: What to take for skiing?
zoltan Offline

Loc: Poland
Thanks for all the replies.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.