Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#6550 - 05/29/02 02:42 AM Gerber Sport Axe
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Picked up a Gerber (Fiskars) "Sport Axe" on sale at the local Gander Mountain this weekend and thrashed, er, tested, it pretty heavily as we were limbing out a big 99% dead ash tree prepartory to dropping it next weekend. I really like it! I have some minor concern about the handle being potentially slippery and am idly considering putting some 3M stuff on it - probably the thin textured rubber anti-skid applique, as I have some of that and the supplemental adhesive on hand.<br><br>Andy C. - is it you who has one of these (or the Back Paxe version)? Whomever, any comments on handle gripability in nasty conditions?<br><br>Sure, this is no Granfors Bruks hand-forged axe, but it sure is sweet for a mass-produced hand axe. It chops well in both semi-green and seasoned ash and mulberry. I could easily skin bark off without damage to the poles, and it takes knots off like they were planed off. Chops as well (better) than any one-hand axe I remember using. I was a little disappointed at first when I took it out of the package, as there was a wire edge on it. I was going to take it off, then thought, "Nah! Use it the way it came out of the box - see how it does." So I just used it, and from the first swing it bit in like only a sharp axe can. Wire edge is gone - as is the PTFE coating on the edge bevel. No nicks or dings, and I think a little touch with the axe stone will make it super-sharp.<br><br>Easy to control, interesting (nice) balance, great at suitable tasks - I'd have to rate this a very good value in a one-hand axe! Too heavy for routine "Be Prepared" day pack for me, but I think this will be on my regular pack from now on.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom

#6551 - 05/29/02 03:03 AM Re: Gerber Sport Axe
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Tom,<br><br>Yeah, I have the Back Paxe. Silly name, neat little axe. No major problems with slippage. I did however, take some sandpaper to the handle to scuff it up a bit. That cured the minor problems nicely. The only problem I have with the axe is that I can't find it anymore. I suspect that it has been loaned to someone and I fogot who. Apparently the person I loaned it to forgot that it was borrowed as well...<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#6552 - 05/29/02 04:05 AM Re: Gerber Sport Axe
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
<< I did however, take some sandpaper to the handle to scuff it up a bit >><br><br><forehead smack> OK - that's simple enough... thanks.<br><br><< I suspect that it has been loaned to someone and I fogot who >><br><br>Hmmm... around our house things like that are USUALLY connected to one of the boys doing something "out back"... altho from time to time the wife is suspected - especially when she likes the tool she used and "puts it away" in one of HER tool drawers instead of where she "found" it... of course, case #2 is somehow my fault <grin> - only daughter puts all tools back where she finds them.<br><br>The sad part is... even if one of those two causes is operative at Casa Coleman, knowing that probably won't help you find the axe...<br><br>Hope your shoulder is healing up OK. Hmmm... only one "good" arm right now - seems like a perfect excuse, er, reason for a new pistol... "Honey, I was only thinking of protecting my loved ones, even in my weakened condition..." On second thought, maybe that will get you that unexpected sleep-out in the woods. Do ya feel lucky today?<br><br>Seriously, I was sorry to hear you got laid up - get better soon!<br><br>Tom

#6553 - 05/29/02 04:03 PM Re: Gerber Sport Axe
Anonymous
Unregistered

you lent your axe? in camping and woodcraft by horace kephart he says "you may loan your last doller to a frend but never your axe".<br>I hope you get it back!<br>-james

#6554 - 05/29/02 11:03 PM Re: Gerber Sport Axe
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

James,<br><br>I've made the assumption that I lent it. Safer that way. My wife and children wouldn't have taken it. Two most likely suspects are my father and my brother. I may have loaned it to one of them, or one of them have needed it and just took it (we all have copies of each other's keys). If it was one of them, I'll get it back....eventually. Even it was one of them, and I never see it again--no worries. I value being on good terms with them more than I value the axe. Especially if it was my father, I probably have more of his tools than he does.<br><br>Andy

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 387 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.