Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#64787 - 04/29/06 07:29 PM Re: Five Minute Warning
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

well you cans still expect heavy water and smoke damage, even after a relative small fire.

There is a orginaization that will take care of you, after a fire: Salvage.

#64788 - 04/29/06 08:36 PM Re: Five Minute Warning
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Motorcycle gives you speed, but if you have to cross a river and there is no bridge intact, it's a bit much to carry. A dirtbike might make more sense, and they are cheaper.

I would say the bulk of the fuel for the motorcycle is less than that of the bicycle's motor, so that evens out the higher parts count.

Just thoughts from the guy who's B plan is a good pair of boots and some spare socks. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#64789 - 04/29/06 08:41 PM Re: Five Minute Warning
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I've had the same problem mate. However, I have had some success with the You Packed It, You Carry It policy. And yes, I'm a braver man than you are.......

#64790 - 04/29/06 08:53 PM Re: Five Minute Warning
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Use a vehicle? Sod that for a game of soldier's as my countrymen say. Bug out on a mountain bike. Panniers front and back plus a stout rack/mud guard. Make sure it has armadillo tyers. Basic maintenance kit etc.No worries about running out of gas and it's amazing how far you can go in one day - against how far in grildlock that is- and where you can go.

#64791 - 04/30/06 12:58 AM Re: Five Minute Warning
norad45 Offline
Veteran

If my truck is not available/feasable, I can go 90 miles in 10 hours on no road at all on my Kodiak ATV, and the only thing I am going to tire is my thumb. And I can pack 200 lbs on the racks, including a spare gas can--which can get me another 90 miles. Bicycles are nice in Europe or the Eastern USA where there are a lot of paved roads, but it is not realistic to rely on them here in the Rocky Mountain West. If you are going to bug out here, take off in your car/truck until you run out of pavement, then strike out on your ATV or motorcycle.

Edited by norad45 (04/30/06 01:19 AM)

#64792 - 04/30/06 05:33 AM Re: Five Minute Warning
LED Offline
Veteran

i agree that a bike is a great backup or even primary transport. of course the perfect escape vehicle would be one of those small utility trucks like the one's often seen in some asian countries, like a little dihatsu truck with a little bed in the back. (they're about a quarter the size of a regular pickup)
found the website. maybe put slightly larger tires on it though.
http://www.daihatsu.com.my/hijetmaxx.html

Edited by LED (04/30/06 06:15 AM)

#64793 - 04/30/06 05:39 AM Re: Five Minute Warning
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
Okay, so here's a "what would you do?" sort of question. I don't have a BOB yet. I keep building my EDC to include BOBish items, but as we all know, prep is a process. Anyhew, I have two young children, 3 and almost 5 and a pregnant wife. My thought was to have BOBs in backpacks for each family member, although with my wife making our baby, I would want to greatly limit the weight she would carry. Plus the fact that in tense situations, she tends to panic more than focus, makes me wonder if one family BOB would be useful to put together. "Honey, if you need to leave the house in a hurry, make sure you grab that red bag in the closet", instead of, "Pass out all the backpacks before getting out". Maybe a combination of the two?
I had also thought about small stackable Rubbermaid totes, all packed with different categories, food, clothing, supplies, etc. Small enough to keep weight down so she could load the car alone if needed, compartmentalized for storage and organization.

Also, I had a random thought about clothes. I was looking at a catalog the other day and saw cargos with zip off pant legs to convert the pants into shorts. At first, I thought it was a cheesy idea, but then I thought of BOB applications. Cargo pockets to carry my EDC and no need to change that piece of clothing for the seasons...one item will work in summer and winter. I may have to try a pair out to test my versatility idea.

As far as the BOB development, what would you do?

#64794 - 04/30/06 11:04 AM Re: Five Minute Warning
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
'well you cans still expect heavy water and smoke damage, even after a relative small fire.'

Yes, but not nearly as much as in a American house. That's because of the different fire-fighting techniques and equipment in The Netherlands and in America. And with less damage, you can get back into your house earlier.

BTW: not only the salvage-foundation does that, also the insurance compagnie (if you got a good insurance, that is)

#64795 - 04/30/06 11:42 AM Re: Five Minute Warning
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Salvage is a foundation, founded by a co-operation of all dutch insurance company's. Individual insurance company's might provide more imiditate help, but that depends on your policy.

#64796 - 04/30/06 12:29 PM Re: Five Minute Warning
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I know (my dad's a fire-fighter).
But now with all those insurance-changes in The Netherlands it isn't always so easy to get everything you are entitled to.
( therefor it's good tohave such an organisation like Salvage)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 309 Guests and 86 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.