The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#64760 - 05/06/06 07:02 PM Re: Putting Stuff Up
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
We toured an old deisel sub (in Portland Oregon) a few years ago and they told us about life aboard the boat....They had LOTS of canned food, bags of rice, potatoes......the usual staples......one thing we did find funny was that they would load the canned goods and make a floor out of them and walk on top of them. As they used them (consumed the contents) they had more (head) room to walk. But they didn't carry anything "special".

#64761 - 05/07/06 11:33 PM Re: Putting Stuff Up
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some very valid points concerning canning and/or the preservation of food has been raised in earlier responses to the original post. I grew up in a time when everyone, well – everyone I knew – canned food. They put up veggies and made pickles and kraut. It was such a common household practice that contests were held at the local county fair on the items which were canned. Probably still are in some parts of the USA today. There was a smattering of sausage makers who smoked their own (back when that phrase meant exactly that). Just last weekend my wife and I put up 50 pints of strawberry jam. Blackberrys will be ripening soon and we are eager to find a supply of green (i.e., not ripe) sand pears to put up another years supply of pear relish. But putting up meat just scares the bejeebers out of me.

So I did a little Google search on all the words “canning preservation mormon” which returned approx 12,700 hits in English. I have known for years that the Mormons have a recommended practice of having a quantity of food stored for emergencies and hard times. I have also read news articles about the canneries in their churches for the benefit of the members. Two links I found interesting are:

www.survival-center.com/foodfaq/ff17-equ.htm

http://athagan.members.atlantic.net/PFSFAQ/PFSFAQ-7.html

The first link is very simple. The second link is a resource listing regarding food stock preservation. Perhaps everything and more than you ever wanted to know about canning and food preservation can be found here. On of these links is to a site for Ball (an old name in home canning products). It speaks directly of why low acid foods, such as meats must be prepared using the water bath pressure cooker method. It is an interesting read. After reading the info, I think I will just buy commercially canned meats.

#64762 - 05/08/06 07:14 AM Re: Putting Stuff Up
LED Offline
Veteran

good information. thanks for the links. didn' t know mormons encouraged planning for crisis (food wise). very informative.

#64763 - 07/23/06 03:56 PM Re: Putting Stuff Up
skunked Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, VA
Just want to reiterate, if you are canning a low acid food( just about anything except tomatoes I think) YOU MUST USE A PRESSURE CANNER! As someone said before 212deg will kill anything EXCEPT botulism which will kill you. Also a pressure canner and cooker are two different beasts, I think one is just larger though. If you are really intrested some areas have clubs/facilites to can stuff, call your cooperative extension they will likely know.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 195 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.