The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6463 - 06/03/02 04:55 PM Re: ?
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Yes "Survivor" sucks big time... When I first heard about the show comming out I was slightly excited because I tought it's going to be like Eco Challenge type of thing but when I saw the first episode I snapped back to reality. Too much of the corporate politics and it acctually reminded me of my office.<br><br>Few days ago I saw a show on TLC about survivng in New Zeland and how everything can fail and go the wrong way. It was a really nice awaking and reminder for me how weather can change very quickly and how dangerous it can be. <br><br>But if you want your own version of survivor do this: me and my friends desided to do a Mini Eco Chalenge. Yes it has something to do with endurance besides survival skill but it was fun. We rode our bikes for 30 miles, than kayaked down the river for another 30 and hiked 15 miles. All that in 20 hours. It was all about team work, pacing and right planning. Everyone had their own speciallity that we put to use. It was great and next day I felt like a million dollars. Just my 2 cents.<br><br>Matt

#6464 - 06/05/02 05:56 PM Re: ?"survivor"?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Though it may be a " Hollywood " survivor...it has actually made people interested in what " survival " is!!!<br>Hmmm..I wonder what would it be like for the participants to go for an actual 20 days plus..plus...jungle survival course!!!!!<br>Could well be the best " weight loss " programme of the century eh? Hmmm.....

#6465 - 06/07/02 06:00 PM Re: ?"survivor"?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree, Bill. You can't really look at this as anything more than just idle entertainment. It offers virtually nothing instructive about survival skills, obviously, but that's not the point of the show. Considering that, it's at lest as good as half of the other junk on TV, (which is not saying much).<br><br>On the other hand, it does give you a good look at how completely inept the average person would be in a wilderness survival situation. That is something to keep in mind when making your own survival preparations. Expect most people to have very limited ability to conserve, cooperate or improvise, especially when things aren't going their way. Also expect people's behavior to be motivated at least as much by politics and social positioning as it is by the direness of the survival situation. That could be some very handy knowledge.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.