Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#63959 - 04/16/06 03:25 PM More progress in preparedness thinking
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
One of my coworkers, who knows about my predilection for being prepared, was preparing some supplies for his house after the Katrina fiasco happened. He bounced some ideas off me.

He's storing water and was going to buy some 5- or 10-gallon drums. He and his wife have three young children. His oldest is about12, I think.

I proposed this scenario to him: There's a bad storm moving in. He's stuck in traffic. His wife is at home. She is trying to do too many things at once and is moving to quickly, and slips on the stairs. She wists her ankle or breaks it, or maybe even breaks her leg. It only takes a few seconds for all hell to break lose.

His oldest son is now the man of the house. He's in charge. Could HE lift a 5-gallon drum? When I was 12, I couldn't. I could, however, lift a 2.5-gallon container.

The point I was making was, my friend, who is big and capable, is making plans as if he is going to be there to carry them out, which he probably will be. But what if he isn't? Can his wife do these things? Can his kids?

His eyes popped wide open. I could see he had not considered this. He thanked me and went on with his day. Later on he told me he bought the smaller water containers and that his son can lift them. I suggested "Billy" test lift one full, and that his wife should, too.

Maybe some good DID come from that godawful hurricane.

-- Craig

#63960 - 04/16/06 07:03 PM Re: More progress in preparedness thinking
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Well, when I was 8, I could, with the help of a handtruck and a cinch strap or bungie cord, But I was a big kid. IMHO, these are things every house should have (the dolly and bungie, not the big kid) becuase they are so handy. Just make sure to get a good dolly with the curved upright part, a good base, and the big pnuemo, "off road" wheels. The little hard ones break to easy, and don't help you worth beans.

Although, I've started to harbour a suspicion that other than aorund the middle, kids are smaller these days.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#63961 - 04/17/06 02:31 AM Re: More progress in preparedness thinking
wildcard163 Offline

Loc: Illinois
Good feeling... opening somebody's eyes for 'em, aint it?

Troy

#63962 - 04/17/06 11:34 AM Re: More progress in preparedness thinking
Craig Offline

Indeed it does. Helps validate all the time I've spent lurking here. Guess I have learned a thing or two.

-- Craig

#63963 - 04/17/06 11:37 AM Re: More progress in preparedness thinking
Craig Offline

I'll take the opposing view here. I was a small kid. I didn't really get my growth spurt until late. I've been thinking kids are much bigger these days (as in height).

-- Craig

#63964 - 04/17/06 09:58 PM Re: More progress in preparedness thinking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good going Craig. It's important to make people think.

Regarding kids, I think kids are overall much more out-of-shape these days from sedentary lifestyles. When my kids were in elementary school (15 years ago), they were some of just a few students, who could scamper up a rope climb. My had no TV and they were kicked out of the house to play in the woods and on the rope swings, all the time. Pre-computer games too.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.