Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#63946 - 04/16/06 12:29 PM ALL Evac-U8 smoke hoods now recalled
Markhk Offline
Stranger

Brookdale, the manufacter of the Evac-U8 smoke hoods are now recalling ALL their smoke hoods, and advise people to stop using them immediately. This is an update to their March 10th letter to users.

Recall information at:
http://www.evacsafety.com/recall/index.html

-----------
IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE

Brookdale Product Recall / Refund Announcement

Following our "Suspend Use" advisory of March 8, 2006, and in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Brookdale International Systems Inc. is voluntarily recalling all EVAC-U8™ and EVAC+™ emergency escape smoke hoods currently in the marketplace worldwide that have not reached their expiration date. These products were purchased to provide respiratory protection in a structural smoke/fire emergency.

Recent tests have confirmed that the emergency smoke hoods could fail to work properly, exposing the user to harmful carbon monoxide which could seriously compromise their ability to escape the fire threat. Therefore, these products SHOULD NOT BE USED. The company is not aware of incidents where a user of these products was exposed to harmful levels of carbon monoxide.

Customers returning Brookdale smoke hoods will receive a prorated refund based on the remaining shelf life, as indicated by the expiration date printed (along with the serial number) on the side of each canister. Units that reached their expiry date prior to March 2006 are not eligible for refund. As set out in the user's manual, all expired units should be discarded. Brookdale does not anticipate having replacement products available in the near future.

Brookdale is working with a professional logistics service provider to implement this recall. The CPSC will be monitoring the effectiveness of the recall.

Specifics of the recall, including detailed instructions on returning these products for refund, are available on this Brookdale Web site or by calling the Brookdale Recall Hotline at 866-823-4416 between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. (ET), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Products from U.S. and Canadian customers must be returned, with supporting documentation as outlined in these instructions, by June 16, 2006 to be eligible for a refund. Instructions for customers in other countries will be made available as soon as they are finalized.

A recall is also in effect for the following SCBA emergency escape respirators:

1. EVACpro™ for Scott Emergency Escape Respirator
2. EVACpro™ for Dräger Emergency Escape Respirator
3. Survivair SmokeEater™ Air-Purifying Escape Canister

Brookdale sincerely regrets any inconvenience created by this product recall. We are working diligently to rectify this situation in a safe, thorough and responsible manner. Our highest priority is the safety of our customers, and the steps we are taking are a demonstration of that commitment.

Yours truly,

Derrick Russell
President, Brookdale International Systems Inc.

#63947 - 04/16/06 04:57 PM Re: ALL Evac-U8 smoke hoods now recalled
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Thanks for the heads up. Wow, this recall is very surprising news indeed. The EVAC-U8 has been the consumer-accessible smokehood for a long time. I've been a long-time EVAC-U8 owner, so to me, it's like the shock value of hearing that every Honda Accord ever made is being recalled.

Now I'll have to find a replacement for my EVAC-U8's. I'm not particularly thrilled with any other smokehoods out there. The compact size, ability to filter CO, and reasonable price are a tough combo to beat.

#63948 - 04/16/06 06:47 PM Re: ALL Evac-U8 smoke hoods now recalled
DBAGuy Offline
dedicated member

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks Mark. Appreciated very much

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.