Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6361 - 06/01/02 12:37 PM Re: Basic Bag, Case, Box For 72hr kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why do you want to vacuum pack your gear? I'm always going over my bags, modifying things, changing them, replacing things. I guess I can see vacuum packing perishables but why the rest of the stuff? I pack foodstuffs in ziplocks, but the rest of my gear goes in either silicone impregnated stuff sacks (very lightweight) or nylon mesh sacks.<br><br>My tarp, for instance, fits nicely in a nylon mesh sack and I can tell at a glance that it's my tarp. Why would I want to vacuum pack it? If you do it to reduce bulk, the next day after the first night of bivouac, you will have a bunch of gear that won't fit in your pack. Soooo...I guess I'm interested in knowing what the advantages are to vacuum packing your gear.<br><br>Thanks from a new guy,

#6362 - 06/01/02 02:41 PM Re: Basic Bag, Case, Box For 72hr kit
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Vacuum packing is a way to reduce bulk, prevent deterioration and reduce pilferage. Oftentimes when assembling a survival kit, which is what we are talking about here, one or more of these attributes are an advantage. In my experience, vacuum packing can reduce bulk of a kit by 20%-50%. In many instances that is critical. Vacuum packing keeps things dry and clean and can significantly extend the useful life of some items. Things that are vacuum packed tend to be there when you need them, there seems to be much less tendency to “borrow” items from kits when this is done, items that are too often not returned or replace.<br><br>Typical survival situation does not require moving once established, and in any case there is usually some reduction in bulk, where that was the concern, due to consuming contents or moving them from the original packaging to one’s person. I have never know this to be a problem.<br><br>For camping and similar pursuits where you are moving daily, vacuum packaging via “permanent” means (vs. Jeff’s reusable vacuum bags) is generally not nearly as useful except as you note.<br>
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#6363 - 06/02/02 02:28 AM Resqman, your 5-gal can?!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Resqman,<br>I was sceptical about being able to put the entire contents of my 72-hour kit into a 5-gallon plastic bucket. I must say I'm impressed! I love your idea of bags within bags and I hate not knowing immediately what is inside a bag, so the Zip-Loc baggies are great.<br><br>My question is about getting the #!!!**&$$) lid off the bucket. If it is sealed tightly, getting the lid off is, for me, next to impossible without one of those lid tools. I sure don't want to schlep that around. What's the secret? Just don't torque down the lid so tightly in the first place?<br><br>Thanks for your tips -<br><br>Mamabear

#6364 - 06/02/02 02:39 AM Re: Resqman, your 5-gal can?!
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
How about taping one of the paint store freebies to the lid or attaching it to the bail?

#6365 - 06/02/02 03:27 AM Re: Resqman, your 5-gal can?!
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Mamabear,<br><br>Replace the lid with a gamma seal. It has a very good gasket and is very easy to open and close. Makes 5 & 6 gallon buckets very useful as storage containers.<br><br>Do a Google search on "gamma seal" and find the best price - you should be able to get them for about $6 US.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom

Edited by AyersTG (06/02/02 03:38 AM)

#6366 - 06/02/02 01:56 PM Tom, great suggestion!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom, <br><br>I'm always amazed at the level of my ignorance! I had never even heard of gamma seala -- they look perfect for what I need. I also like the different colors available for those of us who are borderline compulsive ;-) .<br><br>Thanks for the heads-up.<br><br>Mamabear

#6367 - 06/02/02 03:14 PM Re: Tom, great suggestion!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can vouch for the "gama seal" lids also. Iv'e used<br>them for a long time river canoeing. I keep a "just in case<br>I loose the canoe and all my stuff kit" and camera,electronic<br>etc. in it. It always bobs to the top of the river and<br>the contents perfectly dry. Pretty bomb proof!<br>A couple of hints for it's use:<br>Get a bucket with nice smooth brim<br>Lube the rubber seal on the outer ring (snaps on bucket)<br>with silicon lube for better seal. (Be generous this part<br>stays put)<br>Give lid seal a light coat of lube <br>If you really pack the bucket full the lid will snag while<br>trying to screw it on.I solved this problem by cutting<br>a circle slip sheet out of thin plastic and place it between<br>the contents and the lid.<br>I bought mine in six-packs from Sportmans Guide and<br>got a good deal.<br><br>Hope this helps<br>JBL<br><br><br><br>

#6368 - 06/21/02 03:57 AM Re: Basic Bag, Case, Box For 72hr kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Resqman: I sort of do that way, too. I have a large backpack with everything sorted by category in those clear plastic ziplocks. Mainly it's my hurricane kit, as I live in FL . It got a test when hurricane Floyd almost came and I took the car to a truck stop up state to wait for where it would go. I had everything I needed and so easy to keep track of. I slept in the car, with one of those battery-operated fans that work well. A few of those fans actually do work fine for 8 or ten hours. That's necessity, not luxury, in Florida.

#6369 - 07/01/02 05:27 AM Re: Basic Bag, Case, Box For 72hr kit
red_jeep Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Raleigh, NC
If you're looking for EMT-type kits, I'd recommend the Jump Kit from Nocora (http://www.nocora.com/MO1.html). I use this for my personal "comprehensive" first aid kit, which is a combination of Doug's Copmrehenisve kit, and the one available at www.aeromedix.com. At $105, it's a bit pricey for a nylon bag, but extremely well-made and keeps your supplies well organized. There are zip-loc style bags velcroed into the inside (heavy-duty 3-4+ mil thickness), as well as plenty of zipper pockets inside and out to separate your gear. I only wish it had some waterproofing for the whole pack. The zip-locs stay pretty dry by themselves. <br><br>Also, on the subject of buckets: does anyone know a source for good quality, *NEW*, clean 5 or 6 gallon buckets? Does Lowe's or Home Depot carry these (without paint in them already? ) I'm in the process of assembling the supplies I have into a 72-hr kit, but haven't gotten the container yet. Right know it's all in a cardboard box waiting to be moved to my new home.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 600 Guests and 87 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.