The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6331 - 05/21/02 12:55 PM Re: Spring Fever
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
It's been my experience that adversity and time builds legends. <br><br>One of the scouts asked me if my friends, former camp staff there for the work weekend, would give me a hard time. I answered, "Not yet. They'll wait until the annual banquet in March." I'm sure that's were the story will be told and retold, growing in scope with each retelling, all in the name of ribbing the poor unfortunate soul who got himself locked in!<br><br>In truth, it wasn't much of an ordeal. Worse case scenario, we walk along the road for 2-3 miles back to the Ad Center and get the key and a ride to retrieve the vehicles later. Of course we would have missed the meal by then an would have likely scrounged leftovers out of the kitchen, which would have been an even more dangerous adventure!

#6332 - 05/21/02 12:59 PM Re: Spring Fever
billvann Offline
Old Hand

I know someone who competed in the infamous Cannonball Run (yes, someone really did sponsor such an event). He and his father drove a fastback vette (1963?) that had a spare tank in the bump behind the rear window. They had set up a pump from that tank to the main tank, just as you described.<br><br>He said they got a few stares in St. Louis when the finally stopped for gas (started on the east coast somewhere) when they used two pumps to "fill'er up!"<br>

#6333 - 05/21/02 01:25 PM Re: Spring Fever
billvann Offline
Old Hand

The problem I was haing wasn't in generating sparks. It was creating the shavings. The file on a multi-tool is much easier and faster. I also use the phillups screw driver in the tool to generate sparks. Most of the tool is a square rod except at the tip where it round off. The square edge of the shaft is perfect for generating a spark and I don't have to worry about dulling or scorching the blade. I place the bottom corner of the bar on the ground and pint the rod towards the tinder. One of two scrapes down with the multi-tool and shower of sparks falls onto the tinder. I like having the bar rest on the ground as it gives me more control over the stroke and at aiming the sparks.<br><br>BTW, I'm sure you know that not all knives will work. Folks who buy MFS need to make sure they try them out before you really need them (good counsel anyway). I first thought that an old tiny pocket knife I carry (mostly as a memento) would be perfect. But the blade fails to produce any sparks at all.<br><br>BTW, as lpng as this is the campfire forum, I can relate how I found the tiny pocket knife. Well, it's more like a tiny, cheap SAK.<br><br>In 1976, while I was working at Owasippe Scout Reservation (OSR), I went snorkeling with a friend on Wolverine Lake. Wolverine Lake is a long narrow man-made lake from damed up Cleveland Creek. Its not to deep at teh southern end were we where, maybe 10 -15 feet. Along the bottom are all of the stumps from the trees they cut down prior to flooding the valley. Something flashed on one of these stumps, so I dove down and retrieved it. Voila! A tiny folding knive about an inch and a half long. It's a mini SAK with complete with scissors and a cork screw. It was rustd a bit, but not too bad. And after a cleaning it was reasonably servicable. It's not a high quality tool, but I'm fond off it only because of the circumstances under which I found it. I imagine that some poor scout lost it while boating on the lake and it drifted slowly down through the water and alit upon this flatened stump. The odds of someone finding it in the middle of a lake like that must be increadable.<br><br>Anyway, I carry in my fanny pack. And whenever I have to dig deep into the bottom for something, my fingers usually run accross the knife and I'm reminded of that time I was snorkeling on Lake Wolverine.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.