Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6166 - 05/09/02 06:29 AM Re: survival pen?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Minimalist kits usually reflect a specific need or mindset and not the real world. Miniature compasses and knives were developed in WW2 for E&E behind enemy lines, with concealment the main consideration. There is also a strange ego game called " I can survive on less than you can" with our hero standing like some nude Arnold Swartzenegger with only a knife. Or, it's variation " I can make my kit smaller than yours by using .22 shells as whistles and dental floss for rappelling." Well knock yourselves out fellas, Ill see you in the real world. It's scary enough contemplating self preservation with a small tin of basics. The absolute bare bones survival kit seems to be a decent knife and a metal match carried by a VERY WELL TRAINED PACTITIONER . My pockets are crammed with goodies and spare knives down my boot tops the minute I leave Terra Congnita.Trouble with people playing with your gear?Try a semi arcane word in today's society-NO.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (05/09/02 03:43 PM)

#6167 - 05/09/02 09:42 AM Re: survival pen?
ratstr Offline
@

Loc: Dardanelles
In the real world the ultimate survival pen for me is, my employer's pen which he signs my pay check with:)<br><br>Besides the joke, I do not belive in "SURVIVAL" equipment. I belive in dedicated equipment which "I CAN" use when I need to.<br><br>Burak<br><br><br>

#6168 - 05/09/02 12:15 PM Glass houses
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, Casual1y -<br><br>Better watch who you're dissing. I found more than a few grammar and punctuation errors in your own posts....<br><br>The goal of this forum, IMHO, is an exchange of ideas among like-minded folks and *not* publication in the Atlantic Monthly. <br><br>Regards,<br>Mamabear<br>(An editor in my other life)

#6169 - 05/09/02 02:50 PM Re: survival pen?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The puritabs are clorine-based.<br><br>miniMe, I could try to get my science teacher to let me try that at school, but that will have to wait till after my GCSEs. 1 month, i'm afraid.<br><br>casual1y

#6170 - 05/09/02 03:31 PM Re: Glass houses
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Mamabear, I am looking vigorously for my ELEMENTS OF STYLE and WEBSTER'S. I emulate Hemingway " it was a small fire. A good, clean fire like the lemon orchard workers lit at dawn with bic lighters from the 7-11.It kept us warm while we went mano a mano with the opposum." Please people, temper remarks. Some of us have soft Rockwells ;O)

#6171 - 05/09/02 05:58 PM Re: survival pen?
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Pricey, but may fill your needs. Pete<br>http://www.tadgear.com/X-treme%20Gear/life_capsule_alpha.htm

#6172 - 05/09/02 06:45 PM Re: survival pen?
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Along the same line...waterproof tube with compass...Check out:<br><br>https://store.wildernet.com/content/store/catalog/product.asp?cat=1909&prod=585<br><br>This Silva Match Case seems to offer the same usefullness in a slightly less cool package for $15. I have several of these and think they are the best match case I have ever seen. They are getting hard to find as plastics seem to be taking over.<br><br>For about $2 you can also get a metal match case without compass that also looks good. I have not tried these.<br><br>https://store.wildernet.com/content/store/catalog/product.asp?cat=1909&prod=658<br><br>If you are going to go the mimimalist route these may serve.

Edited by Schwert (05/09/02 06:47 PM)

#6173 - 05/10/02 12:38 AM Re: survival pen?
bones Offline
journeyman

Loc: Western / Central Australia
In the bad old days, you would have taken an empty 12ga shell, cut the paper away from the high brass base, slipped this as an end cap over another empty 12ga shell, and waxed the package to seal it. <br><br>Your matches/cash/meds etc were safe from weather and could be accessed in an emergency by slipping the end off after scraping the wax off with a thumbnail. <br><br>Should work with plastic shells as well I guess - though not exactly disguised as an urban gadget where this thread began!<br><br>For a more urban look why not use an empty poster pen (the aluminium cased ones with the fibre tip, like an oversize felt pen).

#6174 - 05/10/02 12:54 AM Re: survival pen?
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I remember as a kid reading about using two shotgun shells as a match case. I took two plastic (empty) shells, filled with Strike AnyWheres, and then pounded the outer shell over the inner......Mom, shouted down the steps, "WHAT WAS THAT NOISE", a somewhat deaf and smokey son replied.....naaathing.<br><br>The base of the shell had a cone shaped particle board like filler which served as an excellent striker as I merrily pounded away. <br><br>I bought my first EverDry match case soon after :^) nose blown to side.<br><br>OK we are totally off Pen sized PSK's!

#6175 - 05/10/02 01:03 AM Mea culpa!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris, <br><br>You are right - my message was way too strong. I hit the 'send' button before thinking about it. Sorry to have stepped on toes. :-(<br>

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 294 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.