Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#61519 - 03/07/06 08:48 PM Fixed blade EDC knife
badgerw Offline

Loc: South Texas
I'm looking for advice on a fixed-blade knife for Every Day Carry. Here are a few limits:

1. Must be a fixed blade. Local law prohibits locked-blade knives. Go figure...

2. Must be less than 5.5 inches. State law.

3. Can't be a bowie-pattern or double-edged (not that I'd carry a double-edged blade anyway). State law, again.

I'm leaning towards a 3-4 inch blade, probably fairly wide. I've settled into the "sharpened pry bar" school of carry knives.

I'd like the cost to stay under $100.

I typically wear slacks and a polo shirt in my office. Since I'm going back to carrying a concealed handgun, I'm probably going to start wearing a sport coat again. So whatever I get, I'd like it to have a low profile.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

#61520 - 03/07/06 09:53 PM Re: Fixed blade EDC knife
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Bill-

The Becker Necker fits your blade criteria (3.25" blade length) and, I think, your "sharpened prybar" requirement. And the price is certainly right at ~$30. Decent Kydex sheath. With mine, like many folks, I've wrapped the handle in paracord; makes little more comfortable, and a convenient way to carry paracord.

For a great selection of more traditional fixed-blade knives, with many blade lengths 4.25" and shorter (you won't find any "Rambo knives" here), take a look at Bark River Knives.

You won't find much in the way of "sharpened prybars" like something in the Becker line, but they are tough, well-made knives. Many blade and handle-material configurations. I also like fact the blades are convex ground. You'll find prices below MSRP at various online knife retailers (some below $100, some slightly above, depending on knife, and which handle-material option). Folks on the knife forums speak highly of them; waiting for the order of my first two to be delivered as we speak.

And I've read good things about the Ontario RAT series for the <$100 range. In your blade range, the RAT 3 (3.3" blade, ~$80) and the TAK-1 (4.25" blade) and <$80. Don't own either.

Dan

#61521 - 03/08/06 03:27 AM Re: Fixed blade EDC knife
badgerw Offline

Dan -

I like the Becker Necker. The paracord wrapped handle looks good, too.

Thanks for the input.

V/R

Bill

#61522 - 03/08/06 01:48 PM Re: Fixed blade EDC knife
Dave568 Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
While I don't own the Becker Necker yet, I do own a Becker BK-7, and it is an amazingly high quality knife for the price. It takes and keeps a very sharp edge, and it is amazingly durable. I highly recommend the Becker line.

#61523 - 03/08/06 08:53 PM Re: Fixed blade EDC knife
David Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee (middle)
Bill--

The Becker Necker (BK11) & the Bark Rivers are excellent suggestions, so I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

However, I'm also partial to Entrek knives ( web page) from Ray Ennis. I have his Javalina (yes, I know it's misspelled...), which might well fit your requirements. The JAG & Badger may well, also.

Entrek knives are well-designed & well-made (from 440C stainless, properly heat-treated, with canvas Micarta scales), and can indeed fall into the sharpened prybar category.

You might wish to replace the sheath, but you could adapt the factory Kydex to IWB (inside waistband) carry by trimming off the fixed belt loop and adding a small loop of leather or nylon webbing & a Chicago screw.

Whatever you choose, have fun with the selection process. Please let us know what you decide, & how you like it.

Regards,

David

#61524 - 03/08/06 09:04 PM Re: Fixed blade EDC knife
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
It is important that a Becker Necker buyer holds it in their hand first. The handle is definitely not the most comfortable thing around. Great blade size and shape, but the handle is tough to deal with. If someone sold a screw-on handle that extended the length of the grip a bit and gave it thickness, I'd surely buy it.

#61525 - 03/08/06 09:14 PM Re: Fixed blade EDC knife
MissouriExile Offline
dedicated member

Loc: SW Missouri / SE Wisconsin
Out of curiosity, which state laws are you referring to?

Jon

#61526 - 03/08/06 09:50 PM Re: Fixed blade EDC knife
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Ken -
Quote:
It is important that a Becker Necker buyer holds it in their hand first. The handle is definitely not the most comfortable thing around.

You're absolutely right about that. And I should've elaborated when I mentioned wrapping handle w/paracord to make a little more comfortable.

Although paracord does add handle bulk, does nothing to lengthen grip surface. I've got average-size hands, and end up with a 3-1/2 finger grip (is there such a thing?), or else pinkie resting against the butt-end.

Like you say, great knife (especially for the price), but the handle/grip is a turn-off to some.

Dan

#61527 - 03/08/06 10:51 PM Re: Fixed blade EDC knife
badgerw Offline

Texas criminal law defines an "illegal knife" as one with a blade in excess of 5.5 inches, or having a bowie-pattern blade, or being a dirk; dagger; or poniard.

City ordinance here in San Antonio oulaws the carry of locking blade knives.

Enforcement is a police officer's discretion. Even though I have a Concealed Handgun License, I can't carry an "illegal knife."

A few years back I was stopped on the street by a local cop. He asked for ID and I showed him my driver's license. He saw my Spyderco Endura in my pocket and asked me to hand it over, which I did. He ran my license and saw that I had a CHL, which he asked to see. I showed it and told him I wasn't carrying. After he finished the interview, he returned my Spyderco with a warning about the city ordinance.

Since then, I've refrained from carrying my Spyderco. So I'm looking for a good fixed blade EDC knife.

Bill

#61528 - 03/08/06 11:00 PM Re: Fixed blade EDC knife
badgerw Offline

Ken -

Thanks for the insight. I have pretty small hands, but the paracord wrap is a given.

Bill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 419 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.