Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#61340 - 03/06/06 11:51 AM Re: Do you use your PSK or is it for emergencies only?
hillbilly Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Northeast Arkansas (Central Ar...
I would say for emergencies. I carry a small FAK and use it quite a bit. I also carry a SAK, whistle, folding knife with clip, AAA Dorcy LED, lighter, P-38 and a watch with built in compass. however, I have had to use my paracord to tie down some water pipes that I was carrying on the side of the truck.

#61341 - 03/06/06 02:34 PM Re: Do you use your PSK or is it for emergencies only?
Ready Offline

My PSK is also my EDC. I have it in my pockets and on me at all times. I work in an office, so I must dress business casual, and not look like Batman. My keychain is used all the time and it has a compass, BSA hotspark, whistle, safety pin, P38, Photon light and USB drive. In my wallet I have basic firstaid, duck tape, spare batteries for Photon, razor blade, large paper clip. I also carry a PSK wallet that has such items as leatherman micra, spare AA, meds, lighter, firestarter, 12' of paracord, duct tape, sliver griper, sewing kit. I also have my knife, Leatherman Juice KF4 and Fenix L1P with me always. I use most of this stuff just about every day. You know the saying about the best survival knife is the one you have with you. When I am out in the woods, I have extra equipment in a backpack for wilderness needs.

Ready

#61342 - 03/06/06 10:57 PM Re: Do you use your PSK or is it for emergencies only?
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Cody Lundin says to have one kit to play with and one to keep for emergencies. I’m bad!

I have stuff in my pockets, Camelbak, SUV, at home and work. For me it makes the most sense to use every item, any chance I get. I want to be as familiar with my stuff as possible. I want to find out what really is useful and what is junk. It does not matter how expensive something is, if it is not useful; it is junk!

Useful: Coghlan’s emergency tinder.
I went camping with our Cub Scout pack last weekend. We used the Emergency Tinder so each scout and adult could see that it is possible to start a fire with a ferro rod instead of matches. Each person had a turn to start a piece of Emergency Tinder with a ferro rod. I was surprised how excited some of the adults were at starting a fire with a ferro rod and Emergency Tinder. The boys always love starting fire. Some of the older boys then wanted to find natural tinder that would light with a spark. I pointed out some dry grasses I had tried before.

Useful: Band-Aid in wallet.
On a short hike (¾ mile), we were picking up trash as we hiked. My son got a small cut on his hand. I was able to pull one out of my wallet faster than you can read this.

Not useful:
Knives you have to use two hands to open. Sorry SAK fans! Let me pull my finger out of your eye.

If you are not using your PSK items as often as possible, you will not be familiar with them or know what works best for you. To me, a PSK that sealed in a container and not practiced with; is going to provide less utility than one you have become familiar with. If you have been using your stuff you will know when things should be replaced.

Desert Rat, where in Arizona are you located?

#61343 - 03/07/06 02:27 AM Re: Do you use your PSK or is it for emergencies only?
desertrat1 Offline

Loc: Kingman AZ
I lived in Tonopah last but now live in Kingman I was a down winder of PNGS when in Tonopah. I was born and raised here, worked for the BLM in my younger days, so between hunting and fishing as a kid, and wandering the desert for the BLM I have a couple of safe havens up my sleeve.

#61344 - 03/07/06 02:43 AM Re: Do you use your PSK or is it for emergencies only?
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
I have a number of PSK's scattered around in various places. These are sealed and are not meant to be used unless in a emergency. I also have a PSK - "Personal Support Kit" version that is meant for every day use. There isn't a heck of a lot of difference in my personal survival kits and my personal support kit.
Stu

#61345 - 03/07/06 12:27 PM Re: Do you use your PSK or is it for emergencies only?
olddude Offline
journeyman

Loc: Lower Fla. Keys
Quote:
"Personal Support Kit" version

Hmmm - I kinda like that.

"Tryin' to reason with hurricane season"

#61346 - 03/07/06 04:53 PM Re: Do you use your PSK or is it for emergencies only?
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Desert Rat,

You are lucky!

There is no escape from Phoenix. Every Friday afternoon the freeways out of Phoenix are a big parking lot. If there was an emergency it would be total gridlock. I wish I could live in a smaller city or town.

#61347 - 03/10/06 04:19 AM Re: Do you use your PSK or is it for emergencies only?
desertrat1 Offline

Loc: Kingman AZ
Craig,
Alternate routes of departure are very important. Freeways will always get clogged anytime there is an emergency. Buy a PHX city map and a map that is 1:10,000 or 1: 20,000 plan for other routes. some surface streets are faster than the highway, and some surface streets work better than others.

Write me privately and I'll give you some options.
Luke

#61348 - 03/12/06 05:28 PM Re: Do you use your PSK or is it for emergencies o
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
For me it's a bit of both. A lot of every day stuff I keep on key-rings or otherwise accessible. I don't seal any of my kits, but some are so carefully packed that I'd hesitate to open them because it would be hard to pack them again.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.