Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#613 - 05/07/01 04:44 AM klr 650
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anybody ever consider a Kawasaki KLR 650? its a dual purpose motorcycle that has OutStanding ratings and has a 6.1 gallon fuel tank. 70 miles to the gallon 6x70=420. ok so when disaster strikes where does this bike come in? u can go 420 miles on 1 tank of gas its like a dirt bikes with street manners so u can go offroad around roadblocks and what not smile buy a 55 gallon fuel tank fill it up and there's almost 4,000 miles worth of gas! so you wont need to buy fuel any time soon until the "crisis" is over. lol i just wanted to brag about my new bike : ) lol<br><br>

#614 - 05/07/01 05:16 PM Re: klr 650
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't blame you. I think you made a good choice. Transportation is a worthwhile consideration. How much does it weigh? Is it available in a 350cc? How expensive is a 650?<br><br>Ok heres my plan.<br>I pre stage everything I need to survive in a small sturdy covered trailer, this trailer sits it my garrage. All supplies are in cache containers. I drive the truck and the trailer as far as I can still get fuel. Then I ditch the truck, bury the containers, take a map reading and mark the spot for future retrieval, take my backpack and other essentials and move on to my retreat. A good bike would really cut down on the travel time, if it would fit in the trailer and not take up too much room.<br><br>Probably won't ever use the plan, but it is comforting to at least have one more option.<br><br><br><br>Ranger.<br>The older I get, The better I was.

#615 - 05/08/01 04:51 PM Re: klr 650
Anonymous
Unregistered

What if you cached fuel along your proposed route to your retreat? Stablize the fuel with PRI-G or other fuel stablizers once a year. <br><br>Alternately add a few 5 gallon Jerry cans to your trailer or roof rack of your vehicle. As you pass fuel stations, refill your tank(s). Of course you have already installed a second fuel tank in your vehicle or bought and installed an oversized fuel tank from J.C. Whitney or similar supplier.<br><br>If you have a retreat, you already know the distance to your retreat. Store fuel in quantities to get you there. Take into account double the "normal" travel time due to traffic congestion, bad weather, alternate routes, and Murphy.<br><br>If you have a retreat, them most of your supplies should already be cached at the retreat. If you need a trailer to carry all your supplies, then you either have too many supplies or you have not cached your supplies at your retreat. I would expect you to have the bulk of your supplies at your retreat, with a different set at your primary residence. Your BOB would have enough suplies to get you from your primary residence/work/live area to your retreat.<br><br>Caching does not have to be an ammo box buried on the side of the road. It could be a U-Lock-It storage facility along your travel route. A 5'x10' unit could store quite a bit of supplies. They frown on you storing fuel but you could easily store long term food, medical supplies, temporary shelters, and other consumables. Many of the U-Lock-It places allow you to store boats, ATVS, and motorhomes. Maybe you store a small trailer or non-functioning motorized vehicle that is really nothing more than a shelter for cached fuel. That way you have cached fuel and still met the safety requirement of keeping fuel out of the storage lockers. Hiding in plain site idea.<br><br>I personally think you need to evaluate the need to Bug-Out. I suggest hardening your primary residence against most threats. You will have to Bug-Out in the event of fire, chemical spills at nearby manufacturing factilites or tractor trailer spills on interstates, train wrecks, etc. In the above events, a hotel on the otherside of town may be all you need in the way of a retreat. Then I could see using the trailer as a mobile cache or temporary shelter.<br><br>I would think a covered cargo trailer about 5x10-12 would be a good choice. Build some folding/hanging bunk beds along the sides. They act as shelves during transport but when cleared allow multiple people to sleep inside out of the weather.<br><br>

#616 - 05/10/01 02:33 AM Re: klr 650
Anonymous
Unregistered

the KLR is available in 250cc but dont know much bout that 1 the USMC used the klr250 during golfwar.<br>the KLR 650 has replaced the 250 much more power not much heavier (250=258 lbs. 650=337) and is now in most survailence units and sniper units for army and usmc. the 650 is 5,000. nice bike heres a link www.kawasaki.com/motorcycles/dualpurpose/index.html the bike should fit in the trailer...... but might have to disassemble the handle bars<br><br>

#617 - 05/10/01 02:59 PM Re: klr 650
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

WSK,<br><br>I must ask you to please review the Survival Forum Rules and Courtesies.<br><br>http://www.equipped.org/rules.htm<br><br>"Politics and philosophy can be stimulating to discuss and debate, but this is not the place to do it. Please stick to the topics of survival equipment and techniques. This is not a survivalist web site and such discussions are not appropriate. "<br><br>There are plenty of places on the Web to discuss these issues, this forum isn't one of them. Please take this discussion elsewhere. Thank you for your consideration.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Doug Ritter<br>Editor<br>Equipped To Survive<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Doug_Ritter on 05/10/01 08:00 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#618 - 05/11/01 01:46 AM Re: klr 650
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok doug. i read the policies and apologized. you can ban me now because i made a mistake. what do you want me to say?<br><br>

#619 - 05/13/01 08:33 AM Re: klr 650
Anonymous
Unregistered

Doug thank you for the web site and your patience. I believe in being prepared. This preparation can take many forms. I have watched many riots and other disturbances take place over the years and the ability to get out of the metropolis should be of concern to everyone. My intentions are purely defense oriented. The fact that I would consider leaving my nice house to the criminals who are causing the problems should illustrate my philosophy. But I will leave society in a worse case scenario for self preservation and to avoid having to hurt someone. The ability to get to a retreat does not put me in the lunatic fringe, this philosophy is no different than Joe average going to the lake house to escape problems in the city. The difference is that I will get to my retreat and Joe average probably won't. As far as being an anarchist, I strongly disagree. I have no intentions of anarchy or even civil disobedience. An anarchist would stay and fight for the shear thrill. I have a very good life and a wonderful family who I will protect at all cost. I will RETREAT to a safe place for a while and then return. If I survive a major disturbance of society , then I will be able to help rebuild. Some of the people on this site have made some statements which lump survivalists, militias and anarchists all together. This is a naive assumption.<br> I certainly did not mean to offend anyone with my comments. If I did then I apologize. <br><br>Ranger.<br>The older I get, The better I was.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.