The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#60881 - 03/02/06 03:37 PM Re: Emergency cash
KI6IW Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I think that I will stick with cash, or food/water if we have enough, for trading materials. I have some reservations about trading ammo with someone who has an unloaded gun. Question one: Where did the first batch of bullets go? Question two: What is my security situation like if he starts loading up?

In response to the original posters question: 10 each of 20's, 10's 5's and 1's hidden in each vehicle and each BOB. One roll of quarters in each vehicle and each BOB. Plus usually $150-200 of "everyday cash" in various places (like my money clip).

#60882 - 03/02/06 08:20 PM Re: Emergency cash, local bank, Hey xbanker
olddude Offline
journeyman

Loc: Lower Fla. Keys
This is from a fella who put up some Katrina evacuees. I've copied the paragraph applicable to this cash subject, the link is his full story.
Katrina

"The "bank problem." This bears consideration. I was at my bank this morning, depositing checks I'd been given by my visitors in exchange for cash. The teller warned me bluntly that it might be weeks before these checks could be credited to my account, as there was no way to clear them with their issuing banks, which were now under water and/or without communications facilities. He also told me that there had been an endless stream of folks trying to cash checks on South Louisiana banks, without success. He warned me that some of these local banks will almost certainly fail, as they don't have a single branch above water, and the customers and businesses they served are also gone - so checks drawn on them will eventually prove worthless. Even some major regional banks had run their Louisiana "hub" out of New Orleans, and now couldn't access their records. I think it might be a good idea to have a "bug-out bank account" with a national bank, so that funds should be available anywhere they have a branch, rather than keeping all one's money in a single bank (particularly a local one) or credit union. This is, of course, over and above one's "bug-out stash" of ready cash."

"Tryin' to reason with hurricane season"

#60883 - 03/02/06 10:34 PM Re: Emergency cash, local bank, Hey xbanker
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
I apologize for drifting the thread, but...

Interesting and insightful; contains useful advice. Nothing like firsthand accounts from those who've been there. But, in the interest of accuracy, with regard to statements made by the teller:
Quote:
He warned me that some of these local banks will almost certainly fail, as they don't have a single branch above water, and the customers and businesses they served are also gone so checks drawn on them will eventually prove worthless [emphasis mine]
As most of you know, those funds are FDIC insured up to prescribed limits thus the checks would only be "worthless" were they drawn on accounts outside the limits (and households can have coverage greater than $100K limit, depending on how accounts are held).

To go a bit further, – and I say this acknowledging that emotions were high – I question the wisdom of the teller spreading speculative doom and gloom anyway. That contributes nothing to the situation.

My .02 FWIW.

Dan

#60884 - 03/02/06 10:52 PM Re: Emergency cash, local bank, Hey xbanker
olddude Offline
journeyman

Loc: Lower Fla. Keys
Yep, that line didn't work for me either. There may be a time lag but worthless - nope.

"Tryin' to reason with hurricane season"

#60885 - 03/06/06 05:22 AM Re: Emergency cash
desertrat1 Offline

Loc: Kingman AZ
No offense, but not on your life man. Trading ammo for anything to a person of an unknown quanity ain't happening here. Cash, fuel, food maybe. Ammo no way.

He may use it against me. Like the middle east countries ready to use weapons we sold them against us.

#60886 - 03/07/06 05:49 PM Re: Emergency cash update
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Lazermonkey.....I tried to fit 2 bills into the tube but they didn't fit. I did find a very small 'issue' to deal with. I opened the tube to get the money and the top came out and the money stayed inside....fixed it by putting a small piece of string around the bill while rolling it up so that you can EASILY get the money out without difficulty. Unfortunately I don't see how even trimming the edge of the bills would help.....there only seems to be room for a single bill in it.

#60887 - 03/12/06 06:29 PM Re: Emergency cash
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Is that container waterproof? It doesn't look it. I had a similar one from
Magellan which wasn't either. Later I found Sunshine Products who have a modular kit approach that is water proof. I should think you could also use the matchcases that have been discussed here.

#60888 - 03/12/06 07:23 PM Re: Emergency cash
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
No the 'hide a cash' isn't waterproof. It has a hole in the bottom, that I didn't know what it was for until a bill got stuck in the tube. You can push the bill out if that happens.

#60889 - 05/10/06 02:41 PM Re: Emergency cash
bill2054 Offline

A couple of potential problems with hiding cash at home are theft and fire. I've heard of hiding cash inside your freezer, disguised as a package of food or something. It should stand a better chance of still being around if your house burns. The other option would be a fire safe, but if it's a small one a burglar would simply take it with him.

I did a google search on "hidden valuables home" and got lots of hits on safes disguised as furniture, etc. There are also books on how to hide things.

Regarding ATMs - anyone here remember the tv movie The Day After (1983) with Jason Robards? One scene showed people attempting to withdraw money from an ATM, only to find that it displayed the "out of service" message.

During the American Civil War, soldiers would probe the flower beds and gardens around houses with their ramrods, looking for buried valuables. Don't hide stuff in the obvious places!

I carry a pill safe or pill caddy on my keyring. I bought it at a local drugstore or pharmacy for a few dollars. It has an o-ring on the screw top, so it should be pretty much watertight. I carry two folded and rolled 20 dollar bills and a single Tinder Quick firestarter in it. It's a tight fit and the bills tend to stick, but they come out with a couple of taps. These pill caddies are on ebay.

Also, some nylon wallets or billfolds have zipper compartments where you could hide a few bills.

Having a little cash on hand has come in handy more than once for me.

#60890 - 06/03/06 08:01 PM Re: Emergency cash
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Take a look at using a leather belt with a hidden pocket. It should be large enough for 4-5 bills single stacked and up to 10 double stacked. Or place bills in the hidden pocket or brim of you hat. Place one or two bills under your shoes's footbed.

All kinds of locations to stash cash in the vehicle or at home.

While small bills are fine and necessary don't forget to include a few larger bills like 50s and 100s - literally more "bang for the buck!"

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Ren), 394 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.