Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#60639 - 02/18/06 11:58 AM Re: My NYC Office does not have a flashlight.
SgtMike88Ret Offline
Journeyman

Respirators / dust masks

Safety glasses

Heavy leather work gloves

Tools - put a flashlight, prybar and pliers in your fire extinguisher cabinets. Encourage employees to carry a decent light and multitool.

Weather Radio w/ SAME technology

AM/FM Radios for local breaking news

Emergency two way radios for department heads and security staff

Consider cable TV in a break room or security office to monitor news of nearby threats - it wasn't just the Twin Towers that were knocked down.

Water

Food

1st aid kit and knowledge to use it. Arrange for employees to take a Red Cross 1st Aid course w/ CPR. Consider acquiring a defibrillator once you have trained staff.

Look through personnel files to find someone with appropriate background and appoint them as Fire Marshal or Security Manager. Develop and practice evacuation drills. Find a nearby location in each cardinal point to evacuate to so you can keep track of staff in a true emergency. Do a threat assessment of not only your building, but of those within harm's way if they came down.

Consider a dress code. Poly knits are in style and sharp looking, but they become life threatening hazards in a fire. High heels are sharp and sexy, but it's hard to get out of harm's way in a hurry wearing them. Bare feet is not an option when traversing debris.

In a high rise? Assess your employees fitness level. Can they safely use hundreds of stairs to escape danger? Offer up a fitness incentive of some type.

M

#60640 - 02/18/06 01:28 PM Re: My NYC Office does not have a flashlight.
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I'd buy a bunch of 1$ keyring lights and hand one out to every employee. If you can afford to get them printed with your logo, that's great, but even if not it should help give official sanction to the right culture. Encourage individual responsibility. Maybe add a whistle each if you can afford it. Maybe you could fund a survival weekends as a "team building" exercise.

#60641 - 02/18/06 02:15 PM Re: My NYC Office does not have a flashlight.
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Hi Martin - some good ideas so far.

For shelter-in-place plans, I think you'll want to add to your flashlights some battery-powered lanterns, whether fluorescent or LED. Personally, I like LED lanterns - many have variable output levels and can really extend battery life.

I like this style lantern:
Essential Gear lantern - 12 LEDs, runs on 4 D batteries, adjustable output, claims 40 hours output at max level. You'd need multiples of these for 20 people - output would be enough to read off a desktop, sufficient to get around a bedroom room if hanging high in a room...nightlight if put at lowest levels.

This one:
Innovage 12-LED lantern is very similar in output, mechanism, etc., although not as sturdy as the first one - but I think it's definitely adequate for a shelter-in-place scenario, and you can't argue with the price. They had them in the Boscov's brick-and-mortar stores I went into about a year and a half ago.

I've heard good reports about these lights on CPF:
Energizer Folding Lanterns - More compact, fluorescent, two light output levels and the newer versions have a single amber LED for very low output.

For 20 or so people stuck in your office, I think you'll probably need to think about some cards, board games, activities to keep bored, uncomfortable and nervous people occupied. Perhaps not office Twister, but something along those lines.

For other instances, where you need to get out of town - emergency or non-emergency - you should look into as many alternate modes of transportation as you can. During the '03 Blackout, when I was still living in Brooklyn, I had to get back to work the next day (car service) and home from work without subway service. So, I got a crash course in the bus system, which I'd hardly ever ridden in my 11 years in New York. I'd recommend you get a stack of all the subway/bus/LIRR/Metro North/Amtrak maps and schedules you can, having them in the office and ready for a day you may need them unexpectedly. Also, you'll be right by PATH train and the ferry service - you might want to get an idea of how to cobble together transportation, from getting off Manhattan and then get moving from there on (I could get transport across to New Jersey, but once there I would have no clue of what transportation's available).

On the blackout day, one of the best things I had with me was a small AM/FM radio and earbuds. You could easily get a stack of these for your employees on your lunch break from the on-street vendors right around the WTC area (I remember the "Coby" brand being about $5 each - you could probably haggle that down if buying 20). I heard the earliest reports of the scope of the blackout and the realization that it wasn't going to be fixed that day helped me figure out what to do - I was stuck at an above-ground subway station, so lots of people were just hanging out on the platform in the sun (beautiful day), and weren't even thinking of going downstairs (dark building) to get onto the street. I had to talk several people into believing me that there wasn't going to be a next train that day.

Also, I couldn't get cell phone service to get anyone within the city, but I could call out of state (got ahold of my parents) and upstate - got my father-in-law in Buffalo. I'm sure you already have a contact list for yourself - perhaps you could get your employees to make up a list for themselves to have at the office. On 9/11, I was uptown and miles away from the problem, but I was fielding calls from family and, eventually, acquaintances I hadn't heard from for years, convinced I was in the middle of it. A couple calls out of state to friends or family who can reach the nearer relatives with the news that you're OK can make a big difference to your family.

You might want to see if you can get a corporate account with one of the many car services, perhaps one that has some of those extended van/small buses in their fleet - first to contact the car service in a non-emergency disruption, like another blackout, might be able to book enough transport to get all your employees off the island before the real crush of departures begins.

Another thing - a stash of office petty cash to handle such things as transportation, whatever else might come up.

Good luck with the plans - I'd love to hear an update as you build up your supplies
Dave

#60642 - 02/18/06 03:53 PM Re: My NYC Office does not have a flashlight.
BachFan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: New York City
Welcome to Manhattan! Are most of your workers coming in from the suburbs, or living in the city? Unless the event is something sudden *and* makes it unwise to go outside -- like a dirty bomb -- I'd bet that most folks from the city will want to get home pronto, so there's less need for shelter-in-place supplies. I'd also recommend getting a flat of bottled water -- the 5-gallon water-service bottles are fine if you're sheltering, but if your employees are walking home they'll need individual bottles to stay hydrated on the way.

But I agree that mini-radios would be valuable in any kind of situation, as well as the logo'd mini-flashlights someone else suggested -- especially if you're in a bigger building where little of the floor space has direct access to outside light through windows. And a stash of toilet paper never comes amiss, even outside of emergency situations.

If you're in an older building, you might want to double-check the stairways and/or fire escapes, and any doors that you'd want to use in an emergency -- sometimes they're locked for "security" reasons (despite it being illegal), or are in bad shape. Conversely, in a newer building, you may want to make a mental list of what won't work in a blackout -- e.g., auto-flush toilets & sinks.

"Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

#60643 - 02/18/06 05:49 PM Re: My NYC Office does not have a flashlight.
spuddate Offline

Loc: Southern California
I have been a lurker for many years, but I thought I might have something to add to this thread.

The best thing you can do is to get your staff to understand that there may someday be an emergency, and on that day, they will be responsible for their well being and that of their colleges. As their manager, you must motivate them.

I would recommend starting an emergency committee, and ask for volunteers. You will first get the people who are already believers. Have this group meet once a week for four weeks to get things started, then once a month. This committee should send out a monthly newsletter or email with advice on what people could do to prepare at work and at home. Rotate people on the committee, slowly working in those who do not believe in emergency preparedness. This will expose them to the thought process and may get them to prepare.

I agree with the advice of providing drinking water for your staff, first aid and CPR training, and several good first aid kits for the office. Your senior staff should have some communication radios to keep you informed of the situation in an emergency. Small battery powered AM/FM radios are important, as I learned in two emergencies at work, but I think workers should provide their own.

Spud

#60644 - 02/18/06 06:09 PM Re: My NYC Office does not have a flashlight.
spuddate Offline

Loc: Southern California
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that you must be a good example for your staff. I keep my emergency supplies under my desk in a small lunch cooler. Those who work with me know the supplies are there.

Spud

#60645 - 02/18/06 10:05 PM Re: My NYC Office does not have a flashlight.
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If you do need emergency toilets, use 5-gal buckets with sawdust, rather than kitty litter. It's lighter.

Is your new office in a skyscraper or something closer to the ground?

Sue

#60646 - 02/18/06 11:36 PM Re: My NYC Office does not have a flashlight.
Anonymous
Unregistered

#60647 - 02/19/06 02:31 PM Re: My NYC Office does not have a flashlight.
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Have a monthly, weekly or whatever disaster drill. It takes little time but can be a lifesaver. Check emergency supplies, and practice alternate ways out. Waxed paper or PJ inside a mask will help simulate smoke conditions, and train people "how" to see in smoky or low light conditions.

Encourage employees to have their own kits, and have dust masks, eye protection, lights, leather gloves, good sturdy shoes, a water bottle or 5, energy bar, a few days prescription meds, a good miltitool, and building map in the lit. A small fanny pack is very handy.

Every employee should have a marked building map, and a area map with locations marked with rendezvous places in case of needing to bail out of the building. A master list of employee emergency contact info can be put in Mgt kits.

#60648 - 02/21/06 01:21 AM Re: My NYC Office does not have a flashlight.
snoman Offline

My 2¢...

(Sorry it's so late, I tried to post two days ago but my computer just refused to help)

I know this sounds overly simple, but try to think of everything a small group of people would use in such an emergency.

Individual protection items: (To help get out)
- Eye protection (safety glasses, swim goggles, Kroop-style goggles, etc.).
- Dust masks or even EVAC-U8-type smoke hoods.
- Cut protection (leather or rubber-dipped gloves).
- Tougher footwear? (Fancy dress shoes or pumps may look nice, but they suck for running down many flights of stairs in the dark or climbing over 'stuff'. Ask the ladies to keep an old pair of jeans in their desk, in case they're wearing a dress/skirt? The only problem I see with this is whether to take the time to put them on or just get out as soon as you can with whatever you're wearing.).
- Light (flashlights or headlights (spare batteries)).
- Hard hats?
- Whistles (How about a small whistle and a Photon light carried on a neck lanyard with your ID, so it's always with you?).
Have the people that wear prescription glasses or contacts keep an old pair of glasses in their desk for backup.

Egress items: (To help get out, e.g. - pop open a stuck door)
- Pry bars
- A sledge hammer?
Depending how high up you are - something to break a window and rappelling gear? (I can't see everybody doing this, regardless of the emergency).

Communication: (To let the EMS guys know where you are)
- Cell phones (chargers?) and/or FRS, GMRS, HAM radio (to get the word out that you're there)
- 120V radio (if you still have power) or a battery powered or wind-up radio (if you don't) to get the news/weather in and/or music to keep everybody calm.
- A sheet to hang out a window?

Food items: (In case you decide to sit it out and wait in place)
- Water
- Non-perishable food items (They'll need to be rotated). Mainstay, Powerbars, granola bars, Cup-O-Noodle, instant oatmeal, instant soup, bouillon cubes/packets, etc. (How to heat them?).

Heat:
No idea on this one (if you're in an office building). Blankets, sheeting and duct tape to close off a room (to retain heat?).

Light:
- Lanterns (battery-powered LED-type) (spare batteries).

Sanitation: (I really have to go!)
- Something to use as a toilet if the real ones stop working. (Thetford-type or 5 gallon bucket?).
- Quickie wipes (for a 'field bath').

First aid:
- Various bandages, gauze, tape, EMT shears, gloves (non-latex), CPR masks, eye wash, tweezers, burn cream, Quick clot. (Marty, you'd know how to use this stuff more than most).
- Various medications (Imodium, Advil, Tylenol, Neosporin, Benadril, antacid) (Your company may not allow 'outside medications').

Time-passers: ("Idle hands (and minds) are the devil's tools")
- Books, magazines, card games, puzzles, etc.

Obviously, this is an expensive undertaking, something you alone should not be responsible for, and it certainly won't fit under your desk. Can you commandeer a utility closet nearby, at least for the big stuff?

One other thing - on my last job I was part of our safety team. We'd have quarterly emergency drills where everyone was taught that when the emergency alarms go off, leave the building at the nearest emergency exit as quickly as possible and meet up at the company sign at the far end of the parking lot. The 'Officer of the Day' (an assistant manager) would print out a list (from the time clock) showing who was working at that particular time. He would then meet up with the group and go through the list, calling out names, thereby letting us know if anyone was missing. It was a good way of keeping track of people during an emergency and might come in handy for someone else.

- Dave

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.