Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#60506 - 02/14/06 12:49 PM Plastic split rings and mini-clips?
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Does anyone have a source for plastic split rings and mini clips? I'd like to use them to make a tether for a full size compass.

#60507 - 02/14/06 01:15 PM Re: Plastic split rings and mini-clips?
hillbilly Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Northeast Arkansas (Central Ar...
you might check oriental trading for mini clips. I usually buy mine at a discount store 0.20 each

#60508 - 02/14/06 05:52 PM Re: Plastic split rings and mini-clips?
Pete_Kenney Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sylvania, OH
Maybe the following will give you some ideas. In general, I have been using the plastic glove hooks for items that I want to quickly remove from or add to my key ring. The key ring I use is similar to Item 71101 at http://www.1stinhardware.com/acatalog/Online_Catalog_Lucky_Line_75.html . The glove hooks cost $0.35 from http://www.dogbooties.com/glovehook.html . You will notice in the photo that this glove hook does not close fully--there is a gap after closing it. However, you can do the following to easily remove the gap.
1. Move the flexible part of the clip around such that it is resting on the outside of the curved section.
2. Hold flexible part of clip in the flame of your BIC lighter for 1 to 1.5 seconds (any more and the plastic will start to burn).
3. After the plastic cools, move the flexible part of the clip back to its original position—there will no longer be a gap in the closure.

Between the glove clip and whatever item I attaching to the keychain, I currently use a split ring. However, I think the loop on the glove hook adds unnecessary volume and have begun to cut off the loop, drill a ~1/16 inch hole in the clip, and insert a split ring in the hole. This same split ring also attaches to whatever item I am attaching to the key ring.

As to a compass: Instead of plastic split rings, consider a solid brass (nonmagnetic) split ring. On my key ring, I carry a Suunto Clipper Clip-On Compass, (Luminous White Bezel) from http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4c.tam?&M5COPY.ctx=8164 . At the point where the housing of this compass bends around to form a clip to slide onto a watchband, I took a soldering iron with a fine point and melted a hole to accept a brass split ring ( http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/split-rings-pliers/320925.aspx ). I epoxied the split ring into the hole and then added a second split ring to the anchored one. I used a Size 4 split ring which is ~1/4 inch outside diameter.

#60509 - 02/14/06 06:24 PM Re: Plastic split rings and mini-clips?
SheepDog Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wild Wonderful WV
Use brass-brazing rod to make your own split rings! It is very strong and doesn’t mess up your compass.

#60510 - 02/14/06 08:11 PM Re: Plastic split rings and mini-clips?
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Pete - that's a ton of great information. A couple of questions: What the heck is a glove hook? It looks like something for dogs. Would a pet store have them? The brass split rings, I'm guessing from that web site that a fishing store might carry them, is that correct?

#60511 - 02/14/06 08:57 PM Re: Plastic split rings and mini-clips?
Pete_Kenney Offline
Journeyman

Malpaso,

I think glove hooks are just that—have you ever purchased a pair of thick winter/ski gloves and there is maybe one of these (or similar) hooks on one glove and may be a plastic D ring on the other to hook the pair together; or maybe a glove hook on a ski jacket and D rings on each glove so one can attach the gloves to the jacket when not in use.

From home page of the dogbooties.com, I presume that these can also be used in sled-dog harnesses. You might find something such in local stores but I have not had much luck in finding them here in the Toledo area; but, all I really checked were sewing/fabric stores. Pet or camping stores *might* have them.

As to brass split rings, I guessing that if a fishing store carried them, they would be addressing a clientele that made their own lures. I’m not sure if even Cabela’s carries brass split rings. To find larger brass rings, you will have to search the net.

HTH

Pete

#60512 - 02/14/06 10:11 PM Re: Plastic split rings and mini-clips?
Pete_Kenney Offline
Journeyman

To add to the previous post:
1. I checked Cabela’s web site and there are no brass split rings in catalog sales—I guess it is possible that the stores have them.
2. For glove hooks:
A. Check Seattle Fabrics ( http://www.seattlefabrics.com/products.html ). Under HARDWARE, click on “Snap Hooks and Other Hooks” and scroll down to “Mitten Hook”
B. Also Marc mentioned ITW Nexus ( http://www.equipped.org/ubbthreads/showt...p;sb=&o ). They have a plastic snap hook that is 1.9inches long at http://www.itwnexus.com/catalog/index.php/dw/op/a/4/c/0/p/34 .

#60513 - 02/15/06 04:44 AM Re: Plastic split rings and mini-clips?
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
A lot of keyrings are actually plated brass. You can always take a good magnet and check them at the local hardware store. Chains for ceiling fans are often brass, and would make good neck chains.

I also have a fish stringer with what look kinda like big safety pins that are made of brass. There are a half dozen of those on a brass chain. Can take those apart and have clips for everything you carry. I've seen them recently in the fishing department of a sportinggoods store. While you're there, just for kicks, walk down the isle where they have the anchors, oarlocks, etc.... All kinds of SS and brass doodads that you'll have uses for.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.