Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6034 - 05/07/02 11:20 PM Re: Dedicated survival knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I'm sorry, but if all you guys are going to do is continue to make cutting remarks, I am going to quit reading.......

#6035 - 05/08/02 12:18 AM Re: Dedicated survival knives
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sorry Robb, We get your point. Things were getting a little dull on the forum, so I threw this post out to see if it would stick.

#6036 - 05/08/02 03:13 AM Re: Dedicated survival knives
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Stop! This is madness! ROFL!<br><br>On a serious note - Seems like a lot of folks really like Fallkniven blades (here and on the knife forums). You have an A1 or F1 or ? Looks to me as if they have the same sort of grip material that I'm not too enamored of on the SRK and some others. You reported that some abus, er, users of the SRK have reported "handle failures", IIRC. What's the deal? Would the Fallkniven products possibly exhibit similar problems over a long term / extreme useage?<br><br>Feel free to expand this, but my question is aimed specifically at those knives using "rubberlike" grip materials.<br><br>TIA,<br><br>Tom

Edited by AyersTG (05/08/02 03:19 AM)

#6037 - 05/08/02 05:39 AM Re: Dedicated survival knives
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Tom, I upgraded to the A1 from the SRK. I wanted a stainless blade for all environments, the extended tang hammer and no more epoxy to chip off or gum my hones. As I understand it, the "rubber" handles are susceptable to various solvents and extreme impact. Unless you drown your blade in oil, get doused with aviation fuel or beat on the handle I see no problem. I am slowly learning to maintain the Moran edge. I became familiar with the knife, but reserve it for emergency use, much like my Sparklite in my OH OH kit . Falknivens are available at considerable discount from -www.discountknives.com, and Barry may stock them.

#6038 - 05/08/02 09:00 AM Re: Dedicated survival knives
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Robb,<br><br>STOP IT. You sound like a lawyer again.**<br><br>**My wife's favorite conterargument to me. Also the the only thing known to totally confound her brother. Now I know why she says it: it feels great, it's a universal counterargument, & the other person is left with nothing to say -- since what he said was OK in the first place, well-reasoned, & not at all legalistic; what else can he say?<br><br>ROFL.<br><br>John<br><br>

#6039 - 05/08/02 12:49 PM Re: Dedicated survival knives
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
You guys need to hone your writting skills.

#6040 - 05/08/02 02:30 PM Re: Dedicated survival knives
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Bill, Are you be-whittling us?

#6041 - 05/09/02 07:33 PM Re: Dedicated survival knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris<br><br>If you like the A1 you might want to take a look at the SOG line. They have a blade (that is called something like "pentagon" or "government agent" or something like that) that has a profile very close to the A1, same grippy handle, built like a rock, and for less money, too.<br><br>Remember, if you find something you like, buy 2 because when you lose or wear out the 1st one, they won't make them anymore . . .

#6042 - 05/10/02 02:37 AM Re: Dedicated survival knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

After going through this whole post, I am a little confused as to where we are going with this. <br><br>I am looking for a good all-around small knife, doesn't have to be a folder, but has to be less than $100 Cdn ($60US?). I would prefer to have something small that could both hang around my neck and go on my belt. I've seen the Columbia River Knife and Tool (CRKT) K.I.S.S. knife and it appeals to me; however, no one I've talked to can give me a good feeling about it. I don't know if they even make them anymore. I saw it in a friend's store about 3 years back.<br><br>Does anyone have any comments or suggestions for something like what I've described?<br><br>Ironbird

#6043 - 05/10/02 03:57 AM neck knives
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

www.crkt.com I don't know which K.I.S.S. you saw, but here is everything they currently offer. They make an excellent product. There are two caveats. First, it is a skeleton type knife. Will you be faced with cold conditions that may make freezing to your hand possible? Second the neck carry utilises paracord. This is dangerous if you become tangled in anything. The static and dynamic strength of paracord extends to vertebrae. Do not overlook the excellent Grohman/ Russell Bird and Trout knife. This is a small package and will keep those Loony's in Canada ;O) Im fond of the various Scandinavian knives, but they aren't neccessarily the best choice. I know the Canadian wilderness instructor Mors Kochanski uses simple Moras. They are sharp, cheap and work well as neck knives or on a belt. Some models are available with guards. I buy from www.ragweedforge.com All of the above knives fall well under100 CD. The neck carry is a very old and convenient method, favored by Inuit and Voyageurs, but disliked by Louis Riel in the final stretch.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (05/12/02 01:44 AM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.