Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#60299 - 02/10/06 07:38 PM Food
readyone Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Florida
Long-term food storage is a multifaceted evolution that requires constant maintenance and vigilance. Deciding what to store, purchasing, rotating, and inventoring are just some of the task needed to maintain an adequate food supply. This area of preparedness continues to be a weak link in my chain and I need some help from forum members to be able to move forward with a plan.

I would like to see some discussions concerning:

Best LT foods to store (1 month-20 years).
Ways to Inventory LT Food (manual method or computer programs).
Best Places to Store LT Food.
Best Ways to Rotate LT Food.
Other Subjects related to LT Foods.

ONE DAY CLOSER

#60300 - 02/10/06 08:02 PM Re: Food
Anonymous
Unregistered

Forget just twenty years, try fifty. Spotted this in tonights newspaper.

James

#60301 - 02/11/06 02:17 AM Re: Food
olddude Offline
journeyman

Loc: Lower Fla. Keys
My food storage has never been extreme long term. No wheat berries, or rice packed in mylar lined, 5 gal bucket with oxygen absorbers. Not that I have a problem with that. Anyone willing to go that route has my admiration.

I'm more of the 5 year canned food kinda guy and I adhere to the ‘buy what you eat’ philosophy. I keep about a 2-3 month supply of food not counting the freezer. We keep a few MRE's and I am thinking about getting into some Mountain House freeze-dried or dehydrated. I also don’t buy large #10 cans very often. An example - I would like to have some powdered eggs on hand. I picked up a small package at a Army/Navy store once for the family to try. They will eat it but don’t really care for them. If I buy a #10 can, it’s shelf life is 5 yrs. unopened, 1 yr. open. No way is my family going to eat a #10 can of powdered eggs in a year UNLESS it’s an emergency situation. A smaller can opened I will eat, so no waste.

My inventory style is first in - first out. I personally stock the pantry, not relying on my wife. I rotate every new can to the back of the shelf. I do the shopping on the weeks that my paycheck comes in and I don't really care (within reason) with what groceries cost that week. My wife prides herself on how little groceries cost her in a given week (that's cool, too).

Bottom line is my food supply cost a little more than could if I went store brand or bulk purchase. My way is a path of least resistance from my wife and family but prepares us for an uncertain future.

"Tryin' to reason with hurricane season"

#60302 - 02/12/06 12:02 AM Re: Food
snoman Offline

I'm the same. I have two shelves in my basement stocked with canned foods like tuna, chicken, soups, Chef Boyardee, baked beans, fruits and veggies. Dried (boxed) stuff like mac & cheese, various pasta noodles, ramen noodles, rice, pancake mix, brownie mix, etc. Glass jars of spaghetti sauce (They're kept in heavy plastic milk crates on the bottom shelf). Plastic bottles of ketchup, mustard, syrup, etc. Everything is used everyday and rotated accordingly (New stuff goes in the back!). Also on the shelf are non-food items like soap, dishwashing detergent, bleach, batteries, etc. Paper goods (toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates, etc.). 'Emergency' items like bottles of whiskey and various wines in more milk crates.

#60303 - 02/12/06 01:35 AM Re: Food
Bugman37 Offline
journeyman

Personally I have a mix. I have canned goods which will last "forever", but they say the taste deteriorates after 3 years. Most of which I rotate as I use most things on a regular basis. I have perisable foods though that have to be used right away. I also have some freeze dried foods that will last 5 years or so. I rotate them through camping. Finally I have some MRE's that also are only good for 3-5 years. I think the key is to make sure you rotate. Also if you are stocking a food supply the key is to take your time, unless you're rich. When Mac and Cheese is $.25 then buy a few extras versus when they're $.50. Always buy on sale, and buy what you normally eat.

My $.02 worth

#60304 - 02/12/06 05:14 AM Re: Food
Lee123 Offline

Loc: NW NY
I agree with keeping the pantry full of food that you eat and rotating the stock. I admit to not keeping good records,
but the annual scout "canned food drive" is my reminder to look for food that is not moving.

I also keep about a weeks worth of backpacking food in my pack (aka BOB), I use this over the year camping depending on how much I get out, and reorder as I use it up. Mountain House Scrambled eggs and butter for one are not bad at all, and once you know if you like them you could buy the bulk #10 can.

If you're sheltering in place and looking at really long term, depending on your climate, It would be nice to have a few fruit or nut trees established in the back yard. Asparagus? Grow something you would enjoy eating, and doesn't require too much maintenance ,that way you benefit even if the zombies don't come. 8^)

#60305 - 02/12/06 03:12 PM Re: Food
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check this link and thread from a while back. LDS Food Storage, Forum Link

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.