Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#591 - 04/30/01 03:50 PM Re: Can you survive?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would suggest you check out Plainsmans Cabin. They discuss survivalism and setting up off-the-grid living. Preparing for problems at work, travel, and home are common topics with lively discussion. No politics, no language, check it out.<br><br>http://pub7.ezboard.com/bplainsmanscabin<br><br><br><br>

#592 - 04/30/01 08:56 PM Re: Survival vs. Survivalism
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Heres the secret to acquiring water drums.First,they must be clearly marked food grade.Some of these drums hold pretty nasty contents that scrubbing will not eliminate! This doesn't eliminate all of them however! Many carwashes use biodegradable soaps and these can be successfully cleaned.So,restaurants and carwashes are a good source.Oftentimes they have so many it's in their interest to give or sell them cheap.Avoid all plastic containers that are colored oily black! these are being produced as trash recepticalls with insecticidal plastic! They will leach poison! Aside from initially purifying your stored water,you will need an oxygenator to prevent Algae.www.MajorSurplusNSurvival.com has a good selection,but shop around! Dealing locally often lets you in on rapid moving bargains and keeps the money in your greater community.You will need a good bung wrench to open them also,and there are manual syphon pumps worth acquiring.One caveat:My barrels held fruit punch syrup and my water still has the faint taste of papaya.It makes an interesting coffee!<br><br>

#593 - 05/02/01 07:42 PM Re: Can you survive?
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is no way i could. I always thought I could but in school we've been reading Lord of the Flies. And our teacher got all these survival tests and I didn't pass one of them. I'd die for sure!<br><br>

#594 - 05/02/01 08:50 PM mahalo katie
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Dear katie,A long time ago people moved out onto the Islands of the Philipines,Southeast Asia and the great Pacific.They did this in open ships,navigating by currents,changes in water temperature,and the stars.they possessed little or no metallurgy,no matches,no cell phones.Then our great western culture "discovered" these lands and the exploitation began.Notice how these "survivor" shows never mention whos home is being used.It isn't Gilligan!I think if you learned about these people and the way they not only survived,but florished;youd have a different perspective.<br><br>

#595 - 05/02/01 10:44 PM Re: Survival vs. Survivalism
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris,<br><br>I have bought several drums from a fellow near my house and I bought several different sized drums and different flavors. The worst one I have had, and right now are soaking in bleach water, are 55 gallon drums with soy sauce. Yuuuuk!<br>I'll end up using the few that I bought for rainwater collection and storage if I cant get the taste out. I bought two very nice aluminium bung wrenches from K&R Surplus in Athens Georgia along with a cup-per-pump hand pump with extra seals. I thought about buying one of the rotary pumps from Granger but they are expensive. I bought several 30 gallon drums that had apple cider in them and they really cleaned up good. And 30 gallons(220lbs) are a lot easier to move around than a 440lb 55 gallon water barrel. I'll check out the site a little later tonight.<br><br>Talk at ya'll later,<br>Barracuda<br><br>Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. <br>—Thomas Jefferson <br>

#596 - 05/03/01 12:29 AM Re: Can you survive?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We all have to realize what the mind set of the average school is today. For several years now political correctness has been "in" while self determination and self reliance are "out". It is in the selfish interest of many people to keep us reliant upon modern conveniences. If you study for awhile, you to can survive adverse situations. Survival is a mind set. Learn it like I did, buy a book, seek out instructions, practice techniques. Mentally put your self into situations and think about what you would do. Play a game with a friend, have your friend put you in an imaginary predicament. Try to figure out what you would do. After you come up with a plan, check your survival manual to see if you made the right choices.<br><br>Ranger.<br>The older I get, The better I was.

#597 - 05/07/01 04:24 AM Re: Can you survive?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well heres the deal. Why not get a weapon that your neighbors have or a colt m16 since thats the standard army issue and what not. ask around town ask em all what kinda weapons they own and maybe buy 1 that has interchangable parts with the most common gun that your town has. if not buy 1 that is either 5.56 or 7.62 or what ever the 7 was since that is a wide spread ammunition. maybe a 9mm or 45 cal pistol the 1911 is nice cause its real wide spread. or maybe chose a weapon that is wide spread in countries that may invade us so u can interchange parts with theirs. i prefer the ruger mini 14 since most of the state militas have em. another thing to consider is are u any good with rifles? choose 1 thats is simple not real hard to clean and take apart. or hell go the full 9 yards and get a frickin 40mm semiautomatic grenade launcher and a Tango-51 sniper rifle and a HK mark 1 ????? lol yeah right but hey im only 14 what do i know?<br><br>

#598 - 05/09/01 12:47 PM Thanks to those who responded
Anonymous
Unregistered

To all,<br><br>I want to thank those of you who responded to my many questions. The information and web site suggestions have come in handy in correcting some of my misconceptions on water and food storage. There is much info on the web and it sometimes is overwhelming tring to find info but many of you have had the same questions that I have and your insight has been enlighting to say the least. There were different opinions and different grades of suggestions but all in all I have a better prepared stash of necessities. I have discovered many sites that I think are worth looking into if those who wish to begin preparing or are in the midst of preparing for events unknown. I am no expert but I have learned much and would be glad to answer questions or email some of the sites that I have visited to those who are interested. <br><br>Thanks to all,<br>Barracuda<br><br>Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. <br>—Thomas Jefferson <br>

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.