Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#58859 - 01/22/06 07:21 AM Multiple Knives
suertetres Offline
Stranger

I carry just about eveywhere a Leatherman Charge TI, I used to carry a Kershaw Blackout, unfortunetly I lost my Kershaw. The blade on my Charge is a great blade, but i keep wanting ot go back to a pocket knife blade only as well. Other then strictkly convience and a dedicated blade is there an advantage/disadvantage of carrying a poket knife in addition to a multi tool.

For the people that carry multiple knives, blades, tools, why do you carry more then one, is the blade on the multi tool not enough?

Thanks!!

#58860 - 01/22/06 08:55 AM Re: Multiple Knives
7k7k99 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
it is always good to have a back-up as regards survival equipment, whether it is a knife, fire making ability, water purification, etc. A single item is better than nothing, but it is better to have back-ups. A primary system can always fail.

#58861 - 01/22/06 10:24 AM Re: Multiple Knives
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
The disadvantage is obviously the additional weight and bulk.
I donīt think that the blade on the multi tool is enough. The handling of a blade only knife is much better. In the case of a fixed blade it is much easier to keep the knife clean. Dedicated knives tend to be more robust.
The blade on the multi tool is more or less for backup.

#58862 - 01/22/06 12:22 PM Re: Multiple Knives
norad45 Offline
Veteran

I used to carry a Wave at about 8-1/2 oz. Now I carry a full size RSK and a Juice which together weigh about 9-1/2 oz. For 1 additional oz. I get a decent blade, tools, and redundancy. And I can carry them in separate pockets which spreads the weight out, making it more comfortable overall.

#58863 - 01/22/06 12:45 PM Re: Multiple Knives
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I have experimented with various knife/tool combinations of carry. What I have found, at least for myself, is that most often a knife is an immediate need (usually one handed), and a tool can be retrieved, as well as a flashlight. So, in the interest of weight, I have my Spyderco Rescue clipped in my right front pocket, with a Stanley mini multi tool in the same pocket. As backup, in whatever bag I have, either briefcase or backpack, I have a fullsize Gerber multitool, S&W rescue tool (cutter, prybar & glass breaker) and some sort of flashlight(s).

#58864 - 01/22/06 01:09 PM Re: Multiple Knives
olddude Offline
journeyman

Loc: Lower Fla. Keys
I carry an old school Wave on belt and a Kershaw Blur in my strong side pocket. Redundandcy issues aside, I really appreciate the spring assist, one hand opening feature of the Blur. Seems that many times when I need a knife for everyday tasks I’m already holding the object of the task in hand. If I recall correctly I’ve had the blade on the Wave close on me unexpectedly. The robust blade and excellent locking configuration makes the Kershaw a superior and safer tool for heavy duty use.

Don't get me wrong, I love the tools onboard the Wave and wouldn't be without it.

Scott

"Tryin' to reason with hurricane season"

#58865 - 01/22/06 01:18 PM Re: Multiple Knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

The preferred choice of a multi tool and/or a knife may depend on how task oriented a person is. I carry a small multi-tool (Leatherman Squirt P4) on my keychain in the left pocket and and a Microtech OTF at the ready for all sorts of tasks for my strong hand. The Microtech is a one-handed operation 3'5" blade knife and I use it as a utility knife all the time. I don't use the blade on my Leatherman very often, but I do use the pliers and file quit often.

#58866 - 01/22/06 02:52 PM Re: Multiple Knives
KI6IW Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I carry a Leatherman Supertool on my belt (left side) and a Spyderco Police model clipped inside my right pocket. Others have pointed out redundancy, ruggedness, and the advantages of one-handed operation. These are all important to me. In addition, the Spyderco serves as a backup weapon, due to its size, blade design, and ability to get into action quickly. Being an LEO, it is important to me to have the tools on the multitool, but also important to have a knife that can also be used when another weapon might be unjustified or unavailable.

If I were out in the woods, I would carry more than one knife because they are designed for different tasks. It would be difficult to clean a fish with a machette, or clear undergrowth with a multitool.

It seems to come down to what it always comes down to here: What you normally do, where you normally do it, what you believe are realistic risks that you are preparing for, and any legal concerns.

#58867 - 01/22/06 02:56 PM Re: Multiple Knives
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I carry a small swiss army knife for the scissors and a small multitool for the pliers. The SAK is a Vic Rambler and the MT is a Sebertool M4. Both very small.

Recently I have been vaguely wondering whether something like a Leatherman Juice S2 could do both jobs. but I think it would be too big and heavy for my pocket carry. According to the website, it'd be 50g more weight.

#58868 - 01/22/06 02:58 PM Re: Multiple Knives
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
My wave (original) has a blade that is not so great. I mean it is better than nothing but I do prefer a stronger edge. So that's where my strider comes in. Plus every now and than I use both at the same time while doing makeshift repairs in the back of the ambulance, around house, car, kayak or campsite.

I wish I had a Wave Ti since I played with it in the store few weeks back and screwdriver attachments plus bigger blade and better grip are very nice but I just can't seem to spend $100 since I already own a working tool. Maybe next xmas my family and friends will finally listen to me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.