Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#5819 - 04/25/02 02:59 PM Re: Prepared for who? Ethics of sharing
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
My motto at AR15.com (kindstranger) is "Two is one, one is none, that is why I carry three" Because I will lose one, share one which leaves me with one. My motto of kindstranger is because there are those that rely on the kindness of strangers and, invariably, there are kindstrangers. You just demonstrated that you are of that ilk. Good Man!

#5820 - 04/25/02 03:10 PM Re: Prepared for who? Ethics of sharing
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I must disagree, in the "real world", there are thousands of police officers, firefighters, ems & rescue workers and average citizens worldwide, who in the time of need put the needs and lives of others before their own. Pete

#5821 - 04/25/02 03:13 PM Re: Prepared for who? Ethics of sharing
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This thread comes down to one word-ethics. How individuals choose to behave in a disaster or emergency is just that-ethics. Hollywood scripts make more money with crashing cars than courteous drivers and infotainment ( journalism) gets higher ratings showing riots at U.N. food disbursals than calm lines of people. They both happen in the real world. I just hope we can do the right, the safe, the ethical when and if it should happen.

#5822 - 04/25/02 06:24 PM Re: Prepared for who? Ethics of sharing
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
This is exactly what I was going to say in "Paragraph two" of my reply. There are some who prepare their whole lives not to survive teotwawki, what ever that is for each of us, but to help others survive it. This is called a life of service. We do this first through encouraging others to prepare as well. As for myself, I will share. Sharing does not mean giving away everything, just some.<br><br>It is true that I carry a small poncho and a goretex rain parka with me every day much to the chagrin of my wife. She thinks my bookbag is crammed with everything except work related materials and she may be right. When it rains, my wife gets my parka because she left hers at home. Her friend gets the poncho and I improvise one out of a trash bag. Of course, I the one made fun of.. But that is just reality.

#5823 - 04/26/02 12:09 AM Re: Prepared for who? Ethics of sharing
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Andy,<br><br>No wonder you're in trouble with your wife. You keep disregarding the first rule of marriage: your wife is always right; even when she's wrong. Paying obeisance to it will keep you out of trouble & make your life happier. ;-}<br><br>So let's apply the rule here. Your wife & her friend say you're overprepared. Under the rule, they are right. Behave accordingly. Next time carry only one rain garment--one for yourself, preferably one a woman would not be caught dead in. If weather or other conditions mandate protection for your tormenters, carry trash bags for them. Maybe they will see the wisdom of the approach, & behave accordingly. Or maybe the rules of fashion will prevail. <br><br>It might work. I've tried analogous approaches with my wife. Sometiimes they work (or at least help). In any case, I keep trying. I'm not going to give up on her. Similar approaches work fine with my sons. I don't have daughters, so I won't comment there.<br><br>Have fun,<br><br>;-}<br><br>John

Edited by johnbaker (04/26/02 02:01 AM)

#5824 - 04/26/02 09:50 AM Re: people magnet
Anonymous
Unregistered

Depending on circumstances, that could be a problem.<br><br>But it's more lilkely that we'd attract unwanted attention by being the only well-lit house, or the only one with heat, or the only well fed people.<br><br>During the 1998 blackout in Canada many of those with backup generators found that they were very conspicuous- they were the only well-lit houses in the neighborhood, and of course the noise of the generators running. Many found that their generators (which had to be outside for ventilation) were stolen within hours of being started, usually late at night. This is one of the reasons that I chose to use kerosene for backup heat and light.<br>____________________________________<br>Power outage January 5-February 8, 1998<br>Duration: Up to 33 days in some areas.<br>Geographic area: Four provinces in eastern Canada; four states in the northeastern US.<br>People affected: 5.2 million.<br>Cost: Combined insurance losses in Canada and US exceeded $1.2 billion.<br>Cause: Ice storms took out more than 1,000 major transmission towers and 35,000 wooden utility poles.<br>Effects: The storms were directly responsible for 45 deaths; 100,000 Canadians were forced to take refuge in shelters.<br>

#5825 - 04/26/02 09:19 PM Re: Prepared for who? Ethics of sharing
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Hey Guys,<br><br><br>New twist on this one....<br><br>Today I stopped to help out an LOL (little old lady) change a tire. Not the first time I've done so, probably not the last. All went well until I was done and the LOL in question shoved a thank you and a twenty at me. I accepted the first and refused the last, telling her that it wasn't neccessary, I was happy to help. She insisted. I insisted back. So on, so forth until finally, rather than keep agruing with her, I simply turned around and left.<br><br>In retrospect, I think I handled it wrong, but short of taking the money (which I wasn't going to do), what could I have done? Any ideas appreciated.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#5826 - 04/26/02 09:27 PM Re: Prepared for who? Ethics of sharing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Calling it ethics would be accurate, calling it neighborlyness would be optimistic, call it religion and they will leave you alone and be gratefull that all you did was change the tire and not thier soul.<br><br>I have found that the fastest way to end almost any discussion is to bring up religion as an explaination for your thoughts and actions.<br><br>If I remember my religious history accurately this type of behavior was religion for the original samaritans. It is also code of honor for the BSA and that would also usually be acceptable if you took the time to explain. Unless your are not a scout then it is simply your personal code of honor (of which you should be proud) but this is much harder to explain in our society where practically no one seems to have or to expect others to have a code of honor.

#5827 - 04/26/02 09:32 PM Re: Prepared for who? Ethics of sharing
Pat_Galea Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Keep the twenty, and say "If it's OK with you, I'll donate this to my favorite charity."<br><br>That way she's happy she gave you something, and you're happy you're not acting like a scumbag.

#5828 - 04/27/02 06:48 AM Re: Prepared for who? Ethics of sharing
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Alternatively:<br><br>If she's insistant, simply take the money & thank her. She may be giving it out of a desire to avoid charity. Refusing it may offend her pride. Then give it to your own charity of choice.<br><br>If she appears poor, miniMe's approaches may be closer to the mark.<br><br>I suspect this may be a situation with a lot of good choices. Most importantly, everything ended happily for all. :-)<br><br>John

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 446 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.